HMS DIANA 1794 1:64

Great! Many thank, will give it a try soo

Its time to find some wood for planking the deck, as i understand they use pine for lower deck and oak for upper deck and they normally used -8-10 inch wide, and it would be about 4mm strips for the thinnest planks scale 1:64.,I am thinking about (oak, birch or bambu) what's your opinion ?
Today I bought wood for Diana, a shelf in size 1000x20x1.8 cm. It is laminated in rods 25x4cm so I can choose the shade that fits best

ek.jpg

Patrik, you say that you have no instructions with the kit. Maybe you have only Chinese instructions?

I don't know if this information is useful or not, but on my iPhone I have a free app called Google Translate. Using this app, you can point the phone's camera at a sheet of instructions in Chinese, and it will automatically translate this into an image using the language of your choice, including Swedish of course. It works surprisingly well. Dave

Its time to find some wood for planking the deck, as i understand they use pine for lower deck and oak for upper deck and they normally used -8-10 inch wide, and it would be about 4mm strips for the thinnest planks scale 1:64.,I am thinking about (oak, birch or bambu) what's your opinion ?
On a lot of oak the natural pores and or ray flecks might look somewhat out of scale on a model. White oak would be suitable for real ships because those pores are filled with tyloses

Patrik, you say that you have no instructions with the kit. Maybe you have only Chinese instructions?

I don't know if this information is useful or not, but on my iPhone I have a free app called Google Translate. Using this app, you can point the phone's camera at a sheet of instructions in Chinese, and it will automatically translate this into an image using the language of your choice, including Swedish of course. It works surprisingly well. Dave
Yeah, i use to run a factory in china so i have some still have some freinds that could translate it, we tried, but its just really bad instructions, no use for them ay all.

On a lot of oak the natural pores and or ray flecks might look somewhat out of scale on a model. White oak would be suitable for real ships because those pores are filled with tyloses
I will see what i can use, I havent found any good modells stores in Sweden with wood that i like , If you have any suggestion of any good online shop thats sells over Europe with resonable freight cost i will check it out.

Do you realize that this wooden floor, parquet, is glued from several smaller pieces and at the joints may crack when you bent it ?
Yeah, floor parquet would be stupid to try to use :) this is massive oak shelf, 25x4x1.8 cm pieces are glued togheter, It look like a floor parquet on picture, but its not. Each piece will be cut out and will have differant shade and texture. After cut it i will see what i can use it for, like Van say some wood would look funny in smal scale

Interesting idea, I was sure it was a parquet and not a shelf. Wouldn't it be easier to buy one board locally? there is always a carpenter who has wood for sale, in Sweden you have a lot of wood and sawmills, you will pay for one solid board, not a glued one

Interesting idea, I was sure it was a parquet and not a shelf. Wouldn't it be easier to buy one board locally? there is always a carpenter who has wood for sale, in Sweden you have a lot of wood and sawmills, you will pay for one solid board, not a glued one
Of course i can do that, but i wanted to get differant shade so i can choose best for each item, so i got exact what I wanted

Nice. From my own experience, I can honestly say this - you cut this shelf into pieces and then take out the wood from it. You start making a model and run out of wood. You will have two options: either use waste that will not fit the model or buy another shelf to cut and choose wood.

Seriously, you have to plan your cutting and waste very well. You have enough wood, bud
70cm Diana is large and you need a lot of wood, when cutting, about 30% of the wood you put aside will fall off. Think about it. I've done this before, with no thinking and the only thing that resulted was a problem and I would have to abandon the project. First select wood, next build.

Nice. From my own experience, I can honestly say this - you cut this shelf into pieces and then take out the wood from it. You start making a model and run out of wood. You will have two options: either use waste that will not fit the model or buy another shelf to cut and choose wood.

Seriously, you have to plan your cutting and waste very well. You have enough wood, bud
70cm Diana is large and you need a lot of wood, when cutting, about 30% of the wood you put aside will fall off. Think about it. I've done this before, with no thinking and the only thing that resulted was a problem and I would have to abandon the project. First select wood, next build.
I am not sure what you mean, but as i read it you think that i have no clue what i am doing, strange.....

I mentioned this from my own experience. I made a similar frigate from the same glued material, this shelf was simply glued wood waste, so the only thing that came out after cutting of it was a problem.
You know what you want to do, so do what you want. Nothing is strange, I remember my own mistakes.

I mentioned this from my own experience. I made a similar frigate from the same glued material, this shelf was simply glued wood waste, so the only thing that came out after cutting of it was a problem.
You know what you want to do, so do what you want. Nothing is strange, I remember my own mistakes.
From the same glued material ?, first you thought it was a parquet , and when i told you it was massive oak, you said very interesting, and now you already tried it before. No worries, i just think we missunderstand eachother

From the same glued material ?, first you thought it was a parquet , and when i told you it was massive oak, you said very interesting, and now you already tried it before. No worries, i just think we missunderstand eachother
Yes. They sell it as floor board, parquet, window sill and stairs. It's the same thing you have, it's the first time I've heard it's a shelf... Glued oak - oak board 120x20x2 cm. Same glue wood, same material, massive glued oak.

Back