HMS EREBUS 1826 from OcCre TERROR kit

Hello guys,

due to the fascinating Franklin Expedition story I reached the icey shore of all these books about the strangly collapsed Franklin expedition from a german manga towards deep scientific books during the last few month.

51hYzyrFE+L._AC_UL600_SR462,600_.jpg
It all started in summer with this NMM booklet.

I don't want to overstrech my abilities again and do start the kit of HMS TERROR by OcCre. Due to the fact that HMS EREBUS is also a bomb ship and only 3 feet longer I think about altering the kit from TERROR towards EREBUS by the inlay of a (304,8mm × 3 {length}) / 75 {scale} so 12,192mm{exactly} making a 12,2mm thick bulkhead. Cutting the centerboard and deck inseting the bulkhead beaveling the hole thing into shape with sand paper sounds easy - but is it like this? I also need to fill the space between the bulkheads at all to get a proper surface for the planking. By this I will earn a pair if surfaces I can glue the lengthening bulkhead inbetween. So the hull hopefully is a sold thing to work with again.

F52481DB-B135-40EC-B0EC-03F18D519F27.thumb.jpeg.7478ce1cc114ca96964ed86a7d725df7.jpeg
The kit is quite rough in deck detail in und wood cladded box shape and awfull gratings. So there is a bit more to do and the changes will be planed from the

unnamed (42).jpg
survived model in the NMM with

l2365_002 (1).jpg
the correct colour sheme of 1845 and some books about wrecks with deckplans inside.

We also habe some beautyfull renderings from
Ter3.jpg
the recent situation of the wreck

ErebusPortSideWeb_d.jpg
coming from sonar pictures and photographs of the real wreck in it's icey grave aground.

So is this a possible way to go with the kit? Or am I on a completly wrong track?

I have us on the Russian forum suggested that the person who decided to build this model,make a diorama.A ship trapped in a glacier,with its rigging and hull frozen over.Around hummocks,blocks of ice.Think about it.The model is not too big.Here's what the cover of a Dan Simmons book looks like.I have such a copy.Here's how you can do it.

IMG_20201009_132043.jpg

Thanks to all of you I will try to enlarge the decksplan up to scale and use this as a pattern for the project.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! That is very helpful! I willprint out the decksplanv and enlarge it to scale in the next few days on frostpaper when I reestalished the shipyard.

Last edited:
Very interesting project - I will follow with big interest
Very good for your work will be the fact, that there are several drawings of the Erebus and Terror available at the NMM

Thanks Uwe, I do thunk about showing her as seen by the whalers last time free in the water or packed in ice before being cladded with canvas above her deck to keep away the bitig winds? ( So the deck's furniture is still to be recognized?

Last edited:
I am reading Michael Palin's book 'Erebus - the story of a ship' and very good it is too. I was wondering about a model of it; I'll watch your build with interest - I am tempted to try it next. If there is a next!

I've just read Erebus, an excellent work by 'Monty' Palin! I found it to be almost impossible to put down & as intriguing as any Harlan Coban or Michael Connely!!
Now I'm looking to a model of her.

Current builds: Occre Montanes
Occre Beagle
Billings Bounty

I am reading Michael Palin's book 'Erebus - the story of a ship' and very good it is too. I was wondering about a model of it; I'll watch your build with interest - I am tempted to try it next. If there is a next!
Thanks Jimmy for the inspiration

A1h9C817crL.jpg
- I have just ordered the book. Cannot await for it...

Last edited:
I've just read Erebus, an excellent work by 'Monty' Palin! I found it to be almost impossible to put down & as intriguing as any Harlan Coban or Michael Connely!!
Now I'm looking to a model of her.

Current builds: Occre Montanes
Occre Beagle
Billings Bounty
Stuart, due to the simularity of both ships and the little differences I do think a slight rebuild of the OcCre modelkit of TERROR into the EREBUS will be more effective as to await a proper model kit. Or you are very straight and do build her absolutely correct from scratch to avoid any errors.

So let's start the build by opening the box after cleaning the shipyard over the Easter weekend.

Have a good time!

Thanks @Uwek for the link - great number of information appeared immediately to me about EREBUS. (But I thunk I will have to watch this series again for some details. Is it worth the time and money?

j1409.jpg
Object ID ZAZ5675
Description Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the upper deck with deck fittings for Terror (1813) and Erebus (1826), both Bomb Vessels converted for polar exploration. The plan relates to the two ships as converted for the Antarctic Expedition under Captain James Clark Ross in 1839. The plan shows the Erebus, as Terror had some diferences in the position of the bowsprit and hatches. Signed by Francis J. Laire [Master Shipwright, Chatham Dockyard, 1844-1858]
Date made September 1839

So we can use this plan scaled down -

j1529.jpg
Object ID ZAZ5683
Description Scale: 1:24. Plan showing the two elevations of the rudder and stern post with deadwood to illustrate the screw propeller in postion and the replacement chock as fitted on Erebus (1826) and Terror (1813), both converted Bomb Vessels to Arctic exploration ships. The plan includes an explanation key to the system (see Inscription Field for transcription). The ships were converted and fitted at Woolwich Dockyard between February and May 1845 for the Northwest Passage Expedition under Captain Sir John Franklin. Signed by Oliver Lang [Master Shipwright, Woolwich Dockyard, 1826-1853].

In the sideview several detail appear to us clearly.
j1407.jpg
ZAZ5673
Description Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the inboard profile with fittings for Terror (1813) and Erebus (1826), both Bomb Vessels converted for polar exploration. The plan relates to the two ships as converted for the Antartctic Expedition under Captain James Clark Ross in 1839. The plan shows the Erebus, as Terror had some diferences in the position of the bowsprit and hatches. Signed by Francis J. Laire [Master Shipwright, Chatham Dockyard 1844-1858].
Date made September 1839

The captain's accomodation and the screw's well do appear quite clearly in here. Also the surroundings of the stairs down into deck.
j8650.jpg
NPC3125
Description Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the lower deck illustrating the cabin arrangement for Terror (1813) and Erebus (1826), both Bomb vessels, converted to exploration vessels for Antarctica (under Captain James Ross). The plan includes an elevation of a seaman's chest in lieu of stools. Signed by J Laire [Assistant to? Master Shipwright, Chatham Dockyard, dates?]
Date made September 1839

And here an unscaled model of the screws influence on the hull:
l2251_001 (1).jpg
SLR2253
Description Scale: Unknown. A sectional model depicting the square stern of the bomb vessel HMS Erebus (1826) as converted for polar exploration. The model is made entirely in mahogany, stained and varnished a traditional red-brown colour. The aperture for the rudder and the propeller well and cavity, are all shown. The exterior sides of the poop deck are scored horizontally to resemble planking. Two paper labels are applied to the deck, side by side, marked "G" and "C" and "Arctic Ships" has been handwritten beneath them. A paper label is applied to the stern marked "1".
Date made circa 1845

So there are a plenty of informations about EREBUS and the kit isnt too complex so let's make a start.

Last edited:
Itlooks like more documents of EREUS survived than of TERROR leavung through the NMM's webside. So

Polish_20210402_075104741.jpg

There is a survivinng upper deck's plan and

Polish_20210402_074834269.jpg
a lower deck's plan so we may de able to reconstruct the cabin's appearance after these big windows that do look sadly out in the icy waters today.
So the captain 's cab7in startes fefire the aft mast. Furnitured with seats before the window and lockers bewow them.

Polish_20210402_074956834.jpg

So we do get quite an impression of these cramped cabin that inhabitant dreamed of finding the north western passage and failed so closely to their goal.
What I will try do do is a scetch of the cabin "under" the deck's plate of the kit to geather information where I will have to change the kit transom's construction to insert the cabin and how I will have to create the inner furniture.
The cabin will not be a dark wooden hole - as in the series shown. I think a light greyish green will give us an easier view into this "doll house's room" through the windows. Also there is the question what of the gangway is possibly seen through hatches downstairs.

For the rescue mission the dockyard was asked for identification items abd the answer was that the bulwalk's inside was painted yellow forthe expedition... and not in the post1815 green the model shows us till today in the museum. But what sade of yellow is this yellow? Perhaps the Canadian drivers do know? Where is the archeological team to be find? Can I write to them?

Last edited:
So here we are at the very beginning of the project - there ate so many great unboxing videos I do not need to add further information about it in here redundantly.
IMG-20210403-WA0007.jpeg
CENTERBOARD
I do tend to cut the hull's centerboard before the mainbulkhead. adfing 12,2mm the bulkheads thickness and so I am able to fix the gab by a single plate and with edges keeping the holt board straight.

DECK
Then I have to all the same length before the mainmast to the deck so it is corrected in the same way, too. I have to consult the drawings when printed out and scaled.

IMG-20210403-WA0003.jpeg
BULKWALK
But the main problem I do see in the bulkwalk and tjere I need some idea that the massevly stressed kit part isn't going to break.

IMG-20210403-WA0005.jpeg
CAPTAIN'S CHAMBRE
I do stink about how to bring the captain's chamber in this construction of plywooden plates...

I have to think about this.

Back