HMS Eskimo Trumpeter 1:700 FlyHawk Photoetch

Having got the Range Finder platform completed I glued it to the plastic support and then the whole thing was glued to the Bridge Deck. Another ladder and platform was then folded and glued to the ladder from the Range Finder platform at the rear of the Bridge.

View attachment 42232
View attachment 42233
View attachment 42234

The Gunnery Control Unit is made from a plastic main body and some P.E. add ons. A piece of P.E. was curved to fit the rear of the main body, glued in place and then the P.E. base got fitted with 2 ladders glued against the main body. The whole assembly then got fitted to the Deck. The plastic Range Finder was glued in place and 2, one each side, signalling devices were then fitted.
View attachment 42235

View attachment 42236

View attachment 42237

View attachment 42238

Cheers Andy
That really looks great Andy. I have never used a P.E set myself but they sure do add a lot of detail

That really looks great Andy. I have never used a P.E set myself but they sure do add a lot of detail
Thanks Norgale, I never used to be able to use P.E. detail sets, I could never get the parts to stick without making a mess, but in the last couple of years I have managed to work out how to use them and now I like to use detail sets even if they do cost far more than the actual model kit. I have now returned from my annual migration south, a fantastic week hiking in Salzburg and Vienna in Austria, eating lots of Apple Struedel and sampling the local beverages, meeting up with Uwe in Vienna, and a few days soaking up the sun in my Parents back garden in Kent, south of England.

IMG_20180713_123303.jpg

IMG_20180713_185314.jpg
IMG_20180715_202431.jpg

Now that I done most of the work to the front Superstructure I turned my attention to the Torpedo Launcher. The plastic part needs some plastic removing and then a P.E. walkway fitted. The walkway was removed from the fret and then as is usual with P.E. I spent a while working out which order to fold the various hand rails and steps.
EskimoG3.jpg

EskimoG2.jpg

Once I had folded up the hand rails I fitted the P.E. to the Launcher and then folded down one set of steps, the other set will be folded once I permanently fit the Launcher.

EskimoG4.jpg

There are 2 plastic parts to the front Funnel, the moulded on ladders were removed and then the 2 parts were glued together. The P.E. grill that fits to the Funnel top was carefully removed and folded. Using the end of a paint brush handle I formed the "dome" shape on the grill and then glued it to the Funnel top.

EskimoG6.jpg

The forward Breakwater has 2 P.E. parts, the support bracket was carefully cut out, it is very flimsy, the upright supports were then folded up one at a time using a pair of fine nose tweezers. It was then glued to the Deck starting with the center piece and then each angled side. The Breakwater was then folded and dry fitted several times to get the correct angle. It was then glued in place. The forward Winch covers and Hatch were then glued on.

EskimoG8.jpg
EskimoG9.jpg
EskimoG11.jpg

Cheers Andy

That's really nice stuff. It's amazing how much detail you can add to a model with the PE parts. I've seen several kits for fighter plane cockpits but never tried one. Think I'll look a bit closer at this PE stuff. By the way we might have been neighbors if my Grandfather hadn't left Dymchurch and gone across the pond. Love the trains they have there.

That's really nice stuff. It's amazing how much detail you can add to a model with the PE parts. I've seen several kits for fighter plane cockpits but never tried one. Think I'll look a bit closer at this PE stuff. By the way we might have been neighbors if my Grandfather hadn't left Dymchurch and gone across the pond. Love the trains they have there.
Thanks, I don't live in Kent anymore, I am currently in N. Ireland. The Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway is a great little railway, been on it a couple of times. We used to go to that stretch of coast during the summer, long sandy beaches, great for a day's swimming in the sea and building Sandcastles.

RHDrailway.jpg

Cheers Andy

I've watched all the vids I can find on the R,H&D and it's really neat. Looked at the coast with Google Earth too and it's beautiful and loooong. Lots of history along that coast.

I've watched all the vids I can find on the R,H&D and it's really neat. Looked at the coast with Google Earth too and it's beautiful and loooong. Lots of history along that coast.
Your correct there is a lot of history on that coastline. Romney Marsh was land gradually reclaimed from about the 13th century and there are lots of small streams and villages scattered about. There used to be lots of smuggling in this area and then during the Napoleonic Wars a defensive canal was built in case of invasion by France and numerous Martello Towers were also built along the coast, lots of these are now converted into houses. Just off the coast is a part of the Mulberry Harbour that went aground whilst being towed to Normandy after D-Day 1944. It's a great part of Kent and if I ever win the lottery I would buy a Bungalow on the coast road opposite the beaches and have a workroom looking out to sea.

Martello.jpg
A Martello Tower at Dymchurch
Littlestone.jpg
The beach at Littlestone, Dymchurch is in the distance,
Cheers Andy

I have just accepted an offer for my house and at the moment I am looking for an other house to move to so I want to get this finished before everything needs packing into boxes. I fitted the Ladder to the front of the main Funnel, it was positioned with PVA and then a dot of C.A. was used to secure it in place. The Funnel was then glued to the ship.

EskimoH2.jpg

I then folded the 2 Ammunition Lockers that sit in front of the forward Main Guns, these are a little bit fiddly because it's a case of working out the best order to fold them.

EskimoH3.jpg

The Midships Gun Platform comes as one piece of P.E. it needed to be carefully removed and then any rough spots filed down. I started by folding the Shelter first and then the difficault task of folding the side walls which have to follow the outline of the Deck. I then turned it over and fitted the Housing that the Deck sits on, followed by the framework which includes the Ladder that goes up to the Gun Deck. This framework is very fine and it took a while to get it cleaned up before fitting.

EskimoH4.jpg

The whole thing was then glued to the ship and the 4 Deck Supports bent down.EskimoH5.jpg

EskimoH6.jpg
EskimoH7.jpg

On the front of the Bridge there is what looks like a Comms device fitted on a bracket. Rather than make the whole thing and then try to fit it to the Bridge I decided to make the Bracket first. The mounting plate had to be folded first and then the 2 sets of supporting legs were folded. A touch of C.A. is enough to hold them in place and then it was fitted to the front of the Bridge.

EskimoH9.jpg
EskimoH10.jpg

Awesome!
It really is fantastic that you can work at such a tiny scale.
It makes the whole model larger than it is when it fits together so nicely.

Envious, I am. As a boy I could count the hairs on a fly. Now I can't even see the fly :D

That is really good looking. Love the etched panels. The detail stands right out.

Thanks, Photoetch certainly improves the look of these ship models, there is so much extra detail even in this small scale.
Awesome!
It really is fantastic that you can work at such a tiny scale.
It makes the whole model larger than it is when it fits together so nicely.

Envious, I am. As a boy I could count the hairs on a fly. Now I can't even see the fly :D

Hi Peter, I am only able to work at this for about 10 minutes at a time and then take a break. Having always been Long Sighted, I have now started to go Short Sighted in one Eye and my Optician thinks it might be because I do so much small fine detailed work. o_O. I always thought that insects and other Creepy Crawlies in Australia were 4 times the size of insects in the rest of the world ;).
Cheers Andy

... I always thought that insects and other Creepy Crawlies in Australia were 4 times the size of insects in the rest of the world ...
You mean at least 4 times.

zOWU4cB.gif

I managed to spend a bit more time working on HMS Eskimo this weekend past. There are 4 Ammunition Lockers that needed to be made from Photoetch and fitted to the middle Structure. These were removed from the fret and then folded.

EskimoI1.jpg
EskimoI2.jpg

I used PVA glue to fit the first Locker so that I could get it in the correct position and then the other 3 were glued using C.A. gel. There are 2 4 Barrelled Pom Pom Guns that also fit on the middle Structure. These are made up from 4 parts which need to be folded and glued together. I have made up one of the Pom Pom Guns and fitted it, and I am in the process of making the second one. I have also made and fitted the Platform and Ladder that fits to the rear Funnel and added the Funnel capping.
EskimoI3.jpg

EskimoI4.jpg
EskimoI5.jpg

Cheers Andy

Nice progress.
Have a question about etched parts. I have noticed that a lot, if not all, modellers using the etched parts, don't paint them. Is there a reason for this?

Nice progress.
Have a question about etched parts. I have noticed that a lot, if not all, modellers using the etched parts, don't paint them. Is there a reason for this?

Hello Peter, I am not painting the etched parts on this build because it's such a small scale and I feel if I were to paint them most of the fine detail would be lost. On larger scaled ships that I have built I do paint the etch, usually spraying it on the frets with car body primer and then touching up any parts once they're fitted. Some companies like Eduard produce pre-coloured etch, mostly for aircraft, that doesn't require painting and also has a glue already attached.

Cheers Andy

Andy
I just started the Trumpeter Eskimo with the Flyhawk PE set. I admire your skill, I'm finding the OR daunting to work with and the Flyhawk instructions are vague in places. Your photos are helping massively. I plan to paint but I'm a bit worried that the airbrush will blow the PE off.IMG_0231.jpg

Back