HMS Neptune from Corel Scale 1.90

My first building project was the Artesania Latina "King of the Mississippi" which took around 18 months due to work, moving house and other things. A great build with good materials and detailed plans and instructions.

IMG_0012.jpg

it is now on to the Neptune so far so good though the instructions are not great, just giving the general idea of what to do. As you can see from the photo I'm in the process of mounting the gun ports, the slots in the ribs needed filing out as did the ribs to the keel. The metal gun ports also needed work as the casting wasn't clean, lots of tiny bits to file down for a good fit to the ribs. Still we'll battle on.

IMG_0042.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not advanced greatly, been busy at home. I would like to read any comments good or bad, they all help. The build instruction and supposed scale plans are awful still I'm determined to get it finished. So hears some photos.

IMG_0074.JPGIMG_0072.JPGIMG_0073.JPGIMG_0075.JPG

Hi Jimbo 57!

The "King of the Mississippi" has become beautiful. They also manage this with the HMS Neptune. If you see the simply planked models here in the forum you think I can't do that. You have a second planking.

With a small grinding machine you have levelled the metal gunports with the planking in one hour. It takes longer with a metal file tool. But they're in no hurry. If the gunports are levelled they grind the whole hull smooth. Fill in missing corners of the gunports flush with the hull. You can paint the gunports red or black. When the hull is ready, the second planking in precious wood is added.

Do not worry, almost all double planked hulls look like this in the beginning.

You've already done some very good groundwork.

With best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Thanks Thomas I appreciate your comments. I do have to second plank it so guess I worry too much. That's a good tip to paint the gun post.
Thanks again
Jimbo

Hi Jimbo,

If you want to add more detail to your model or you need more background info I would recommend to buy the book Shipwright Secrets from Richard Ensor. It deals with the 4th rates of the restauration period which also is represented by your model.
See a review of the book here.

Hi Jimbo!

For the processing of wood and metal there are beautiful small model making machines. Those who build a lot buy them one by one.

In the beginning of my hobby I started with a fretsaw, a big drill, a big file and sandpaper and it worked.

In order not to spend a lot of money, it is worth buying curved needle files. They do not damage planks and reach almost all corners. Handheld model grinding machines can cause damage if used incorrectly.

Take your time building.

SANY0750.JPG

Wih best regards
Thomas

My first building project was the Artesania Latina "King of the Mississippi" which took around 18 months due to work, moving house and other things. A great build with good materials and detailed plans and instructions.

View attachment 146293

it is now on to the Neptune so far so good though the instructions are not great, just giving the general idea of what to do. As you can see from the photo I'm in the process of mounting the gun ports, the slots in the ribs needed filing out as did the ribs to the keel. The metal gun ports also needed work as the casting wasn't clean, lots of tiny bits to file down for a good fit to the ribs. Still we'll battle on.

View attachment 146294
Hallo @Jimbo57
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
are you still working on your HMS Neptune?

Back