![]() |
The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026! Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue. NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026 |
![]() |
![]() |
As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering. |
![]() |

Jim, no offences, here some of my interpretations from the (contemporary) sources. Shots must have been way off, indeed... I'm trying to recreate Pococks painting, and he depicts quite some damage in the top and topgallant sails... The damage to the hull was mostly confined to the mizzenmast and starboard quarters, as I did in the model. Mind you, the guns were only 12pdrs. The contemporairy descriptions don't mention too much structural damage. Both ships were quicly put back in service after this battle. There was quite a choppy sea off Start Point, that might also account for the high shots...That's such a masterful scene. The holy sails add considerably, though the gunners must have been way off to hit that top sail. - maybe the attacking ship rolled at the time?
And - this is a not criticism, but an observation - with so much shot in the air - may be expecting holes in the ship's sides, and in the ratlines - attributes that I cannot recall having seen anywhere.
I'm full of admiration for what you have achieved in that scale, and the standard of the depiction. Don't those comments be misinterpreted as anything but a report on 'first impressions'
Jim
Thanks! Was quite nice to do, building up water in multiple acrylic layersWow! I'm loving the diorama. Your water effects look very realistic.
Very skillful.Thanks! Was quite nice to do, building up water in multiple acrylic layers

