• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

HMS Race Horse 1754 - Sergal/Mantua Kit

Sounds like I need to spend some time on the Greenwich website! Thank you, Igor, for those wonderful plans! They're super interesting, even if they don't fit the ship itself. I badly want to know where Sergal-Mantua came up with the design. Maybe one day I can revisit the true Racehorse as a scratch build. And thank you for the kind words, Richard, though I feel like a researching neophyte compared to what Igor's able to dig up!

Think I'm going to rename my current project to the GS Quarter Horse. It's scrappy, and maybe 25% accurate.

In the meantime, I discovered an error wholly my own. Beware future builders! When planking I should've waited to trim the stern overhang:

IMG_1061.jpg IMG_1064.jpg

I did this early (despite a warning on the plans that I missed), and now I have a little triangular gap to fill. Shouldn't be too hard. I'm gluing some blocks in there to give the glue something to stick to, and I'll be more cautious on the 2nd layer. Until next time!
 
Back
Top