HMS Regulus

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the HMS Regulus an 18th century frigate (later converted to a troop ship if I understand it correctly). Just wondering if there are any paintings, sketches or drawings of the ship. Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the HMS Regulus an 18th century frigate (later converted to a troop ship if I understand it correctly). Just wondering if there are any paintings, sketches or drawings of the ship. Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Usually my first check is in threedecks:

Reg2.JPG

Here it is mentioned, that the Regulus was the last Roebuck class frigate designed by Sir Thomas Slade, launched in 1785

Reg1.JPG

Directly drawings of the HMS Regulus 1785 are these

For example:

j3782.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, sheer lines with inboard detail, and longitudinal half-breadth for Regulus (1785), a 44-gun Fifth Rate, two-decker, as built by Mr Thomas Raymond at Northam, near Southampton in 1785. The ship had a 'frigate' stern with only a single line of gallery windows. NMM, Progress Book, volume 5, folio 211, states that the 'Regulus' went to Portsmouth Dockyard to be fitted in ordinary, between February and March 1785.

j5576.jpg
Inboard profile plan (ZAZ2239)

j3783.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, sheer lines with inboard detail, and longitudinal half-breadth for Regulus (1785), a 44-gun Fifth Rate, two-decker. The ship had a 'frigate' stern with only a single line of gallery windows. The plan illustrates the ship prior to the addition of a poop deck in 1800 when she was converted to a troopship.

j3781.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the inboard profile for fitting the Regulus (1785), a 44-gun Fifth Rate, two-decker, as a troopship. Regulus underwent a large repair at Deptford Dockyard between 1808 and 1810 and then fitted as a troopship. The alteration in green are as the ship was fitted. Initialled by William Rule [Surveyor of the Navy, 1793-1813] and Henry Peake [1806-1822].

j3780.jpg
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the orlop deck with fore & aft platforms for fitting the Regulus (1785), a 44-gun Fifth Rate, two-decker, as a troopship. Regulus underwent a large repair at Deptford Dockyard between 1808 and 1810 and then fitted as a troopship. Initialled by William Rule [Surveyor of the Navy, 1793-1813] and Henry Peake [1806-1822].

But you should also check the drawings available which are showing the Roebuck-class vessels

j5578.jpg
Lines (ZAZ2238)

If you take f.e. a look at this link of the above shown drawing

you can see there further links to other ships of the class:
Reg3.JPG

I am pretty sure, that you will find a lot more information and drawings

Now if you know which drawings are of any interest you can also check the available drawings (unfortunately not all) which are on wikipedia.
There you can find often the same drawings like from NMM also with high resolution

Back