HMS Victory 1765 canon build proble's HELP

Hi good morning, My name is Jim I am a newbie to the forum. I am looking for advise/help building the canons on the HMS Victory 22900 series 1:84 scale. The manual says to use the axle provided (3 metal rods) for the wheel install and canon pivot. However the metal rod provided for the axle is to big for the holes on the canon support and the canon pivot hole, I am breaking almost every hole on the already fragile canon supports I have attempted. I am reduced to using paper clips, still producing an issue. Has anyone come across this, have any suggestions? This is my first attempt at a build of this kind. Thank you for listening and any help you can offer. I have tried to reach out to www.artesanialatina.net. for the past 3 -4 weeks and no reply. I am located in Ontario Canada, I have also tried to reach De Agostini with no success.

It is normal with kits on the market for the builder to make modifications to the parts provided. Do not hesitate using files and drill bits to make the parts to fit. Show pictures of parts you have problems with in this thread and you will get a better directions to what to do in your case.

Great. Thank you. I will post picture. In this picture you can see the rod will only work on the larger front wheel it is too fat to fit any other part of the canon pieces. If you can see the bottom support is broken trying to slide a paper clip through the hole. I know I need to be delicate. But some break just trying to remove them from the mild they are shipped in. I will try the small drill method. Thanks for your help.

IMG_6805.jpeg

OK - drilling is maybe problematic - for such things, especially if there is the possibility of breaking, would be sanding the hole with a small round needle file.
If you do not have needle files you have to make the drilling step by step with small steps of bigger drill diameters.
Another way could be to use a smaller drill and somehow mill the hole from inside - everything very carefully.

Definitely you need some needle files if you want to build the Victory - so an investment for the future

Sometimes also so called "reamer" are helping - the german word is "Reibahle"

reibahle reamer.jpg ZOO_SK100941_001.jpg

Hi, Uwek, I had never seen these micro size reamers before anywhere. Where did you buy this? Amazon shows totally different tools when search for "reamer". What is the profile of these reamers?

Last edited:
Hi, Uwek, I had never seen these micro size reamers before anywhere. Where did you buy this? Amazon shows totally different tools when search for "reamer". What is the profile of these reamers?
Here in the USA, we call them broachers. Typically it is a watchmaker's tool and can be found in jewelry stores. I found one on Amazon. The profile is square.

1710422532663.png

Great. Thank you. I will post picture. In this picture you can see the rod will only work on the larger front wheel it is too fat to fit any other part of the canon pieces. If you can see the bottom support is broken trying to slide a paper clip through the hole. I know I need to be delicate. But some break just trying to remove them from the mild they are shipped in. I will try the small drill method. Thanks for your help.

View attachment 434789
What about thinner brass rods from a hardware store?

Hi good morning, My name is Jim I am a newbie to the forum. I am looking for advise/help building the canons on the HMS Victory 22900 series 1:84 scale. The manual says to use the axle provided (3 metal rods) for the wheel install and canon pivot. However the metal rod provided for the axle is to big for the holes on the canon support and the canon pivot hole, I am breaking almost every hole on the already fragile canon supports I have attempted. I am reduced to using paper clips, still producing an issue. Has anyone come across this, have any suggestions? This is my first attempt at a build of this kind. Thank you for listening and any help you can offer. I have tried to reach out to www.artesanialatina.net. for the past 3 -4 weeks and no reply. I am located in Ontario Canada, I have also tried to reach De Agostini with no success.
Hallo @jimmer1958
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back