HMS VICTORY 7 Decks

At last finished all the decks with the Poop deck the last! with the Open Deck View project I made 200 odd gun carriages, cast 200 gun barrels, 800 gun carriage wheels, 2000 eye pins used etc etc
My idea for this project was just to show the basic layouts of all HMS Victory's deck, nothing too clever, just made to my abilities! I would like one day to donate both projects to say a Maritime Museum (that's if anyone want's them) I think they are a good basis to be improved and all areas labelled up with descriptions.
My new project is Isambard Kingdom Brunel's SS GREAT BRITAIN, it's had a complex 150 odd years life going from 6 masts to 5 masts, 4 masts and finally 3 masts, different engines, even no engine and just a sailing ship, different propellers and major rebuilds.
No much to go on in the way of plans, just diagrams and old photos, I visited the ship a couple of months ago in Bristol UK, took a few photos, the amazing thing is the only original parts is the metal hull and the ship's bell! so it was a major rebuild in the dock.
So I will see if if I can make a reasonable job of or it's in the dustbin!
Wish me Luck
Paul064.jpg

Very impressive project - My congratulations, that you finished all the decks.
May I ask you, why you are writing about 200 gun carriages and muzzles? The Victory was / is a 100 gun ship - did you make a second copy of the model?
Your next project is a very interesting one.
I was fascinated by Brunels work, so I made once a history topic about his biggest ship, the SS Great Eastern
and
I will follow your new log with big interest

Thats a most impressive looking model.
Thanks for your kind words, I myself are not to happy with it, the trouble is seeing your work and other gifted modelers I know the only thing I can do is scratch build different ways for a model, like I will do as I work on SS Great Britain next.
Keep haelthy
Paul

May I ask you, why you are writing about 200 gun carriages and muzzles? The Victory was / is a 100 gun ship - did you make a second copy of the model?
I was fascinated by Brunels work, so I made once a history topic about his biggest ship, the SS Great Eastern
and
Thanks for your nice reply, why I have doubled roughly the gun carriages etc is I also built at a larger scale called HMS VICTORY Open Deck View which was all 7 decks but as one ship, I then built the 7 decks separately as you could not see the layouts of the decks, so 100 odd for one project and another 100 for the last project. Have a look at my other scratch built model, all different.
Yes the next project should be interesting, I do not know if I could do a log of the build as I have never done one before. Think I might have messed this reply up a bit!
Keep well
Paul

and

That's a real contribution to our understanding of the ship's layout and main purpose which is, of course, as an artillery platform. Excellent.

That's a real contribution to our understanding of the ship's layout and main purpose which is, of course, as an artillery platform. Excellent.
Hi Mr 3rd, do not know your name
Exactly what I was thinking when I started the project, would be perfect in Portsmouth UK in the HMS Victory museum, hung on the wall with printed details labelled up. Many visitors can look round Victory at the base but could not walk on board, this way they can see you clever and complicated the ship was in then days. I would like to donate it to them but it's probably not good enough! Have a look at my HMS Victory Open Deck View and see the menacing 50 odd gun barrels look like. That,s where I doubled up on all the work I done.
Keep well, thanks for the reply
Paul

Hi Mr 3rd, do not know your name
Exactly what I was thinking when I started the project, would be perfect in Portsmouth UK in the HMS Victory museum, hung on the wall with printed details labelled up. Many visitors can look round Victory at the base but could not walk on board, this way they can see you clever and complicated the ship was in then days. I would like to donate it to them but it's probably not good enough! Have a look at my HMS Victory Open Deck View and see the menacing 50 odd gun barrels look like. That,s where I doubled up on all the work I done.
Keep well, thanks for the reply
Paul
Hi, It's Hugh Brennan from New Jersey, USA. It has been said that the 18th century warships as you modeled were the most complex machines on earth at the time. Again, your work illustrate the "hidden" parts of that machine.

It seems, that your idea with the separate decks was copied by this young Lego - modeler

Our member @tommyg found this video, but I thought it could be also interesting for you......

Beyond the Brick's Joshua Hanlon talks with 13-year-old Quinn Roberts about his amazing LEGO HMS Victory ship displayed at BrickFair Virginia 2021. Check out the fantastic details on each deck!

At last finished all the decks with the Poop deck the last! with the Open Deck View project I made 200 odd gun carriages, cast 200 gun barrels, 800 gun carriage wheels, 2000 eye pins used etc etc
My idea for this project was just to show the basic layouts of all HMS Victory's deck, nothing too clever, just made to my abilities! I would like one day to donate both projects to say a Maritime Museum (that's if anyone want's them) I think they are a good basis to be improved and all areas labelled up with descriptions.
My new project is Isambard Kingdom Brunel's SS GREAT BRITAIN, it's had a complex 150 odd years life going from 6 masts to 5 masts, 4 masts and finally 3 masts, different engines, even no engine and just a sailing ship, different propellers and major rebuilds.
No much to go on in the way of plans, just diagrams and old photos, I visited the ship a couple of months ago in Bristol UK, took a few photos, the amazing thing is the only original parts is the metal hull and the ship's bell! so it was a major rebuild in the dock.
So I will see if if I can make a reasonable job of or it's in the dustbin!
Wish me Luck
PaulView attachment 180613
This is one of the coolest models I have ever seen. It's like walking the decks yourself.

It seems, that your idea with the separate decks was copied by this young Lego - modeler

Our member @tommyg found this video, but I thought it could be also interesting for you......

Beyond the Brick's Joshua Hanlon talks with 13-year-old Quinn Roberts about his amazing LEGO HMS Victory ship displayed at BrickFair Virginia 2021. Check out the fantastic details on each deck!
Hello Uwik
What a brilliant Lego model of Victory this is, it must have taken a while to think how to build and buy the vast assortment of pieces needed.
GREAT
Keep well
Paul and thanks for thinking of me!

This is one of the coolest models I have ever seen. It's like walking the decks yourself.
Hi
That's a nice thing to say, I only made these 7 decks as I had built HMS Victory Open Deck View and realised you could not see what was on the decks, also it was something to do!
There is a better model of the decks then mine and I think it was called HMS Victory Inside Out, something like that.
Keep well
Paul

Hi
That's a nice thing to say, I only made these 7 decks as I had built HMS Victory Open Deck View and realised you could not see what was on the decks, also it was something to do!
There is a better model of the decks then mine and I think it was called HMS Victory Inside Out, something like that.
Keep well
Paul
Hallo Paul,
I guess you meant this building log "HMS Victory, Inside out" by the member Jan Zwart alias @janzwart

BTw: would also be happy and interested to see Jan´s progress in an update....

Back