HMS Victory (Caldercraft Kit) 1:72 [SOLD]

Hello Everyone,
Four years ago I purchased Caldercraft's HMS Victory. I planned to put her in the building queue while I built my skills constructing simpler model projects. I've decided to make the jump to scratch building so will not be building this wonderful famous ship.

Three years ago I did the unboxing at someone's request. See the short post on it below.

The kit is considered one of the best available. Below find some of the key dimensions. She is big.

Scale: 1:72
Length: 1385mm
Width: 525mm
Height: 940mm

The kit is available in the retail market @ https://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/caldercraft-victory.html and https://shipwrightshop.com/contents/en-uk/p23.html Both offerings are greater than £1,050.00.

I have not opened the kit box since I put it away after posting the unboxing post. None of the packages have been opened. It is new.

I have decided to start my scratch build of Le Fleuron and it seems wise to fund the lumber costs for the project with the proceeds from the HMS Victory sale.

As such, I am a "motivated seller" and therefore offering a significant discount on the kit. The sale will be on a first come, first sell basis. In addition, I will include HMS Victory, Anatomy of a Ship in the sale.

For buyers in the;
UK: £655 + Shipping Cost
EU: €785 + Shipping Cost
US/Canada: $800 + Free Shipping

I will pay for the bubble wrap, boxing for safe shipment. Once again, I will, fairly honor first to commit to the purchase.

This was a difficult decision for me as I've actually travelled to Portsmouth to see the Victory and it was a bucket list goal for me. But I'd rather see someone else find pleasure in building her than have her sit in my dry dock for who knows how long.

If you are interested, please feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

P.S. I will be starting a build log for my new Le Fleuron project shortly.

Cheers,
Ken

Oh man if only you were offering this two years in the future I don't got money and I don't got room at the moment. Well maybe I do have room but then I would also need money and I certainly don't have that now....stupid contract work randomly cutting my contract

Last edited:
Hi Ken,

I'm not your guy but I'll add my endorsement. I think people who have followed my work know that I 'do my homework'. Well, there was a time when I did a deep dive on researching two ship models: the Vasa and the Victory. I struggled choosing which manufacturer for the Vasa - but the Caldercraft Victory was head and shoulders above the rest (barring the yet unreleased 1:48 Vic under development). All kits provide opportunities for improvement, but the Caldercraft version was the one to choose as a starting point if resources did not govern the decision. And now you have made the Caldercraft kit more affordable for the members of our forum. If I had another 'big' ship in me, I'd be all over this!

The Caldercraft Victory is the best as it can get in a kit. We're all tight on money these days. I had to pay a friend for help fixing my truck with ammunition from my stockpile, the NEW GOLD these days. :rolleyes:
Is there anything you are looking to get in trade?
Lucky for me, I reload all my ammo as I'm still shooting USPSA. With that said primers have been impossible to find over the last 3yrs, although the market seems to be easing a bit lately.

I would normally be open to trade, but in my current case I really need to use the proceeds $$ to fund my materials budget for the Le Fleuron ahead of me. My Admiral owns the non-household appropriations budget and I need to find a creative way to fund it as the purse strings have been pulled tight! Hell, if she found out I was selling a kit I paid well over $1,000 and for $800, I would get bonked on the head, figuratively speaking of course.

She also knows I am a "tool junkie" and I was "informed" that I should be prepared to make a compelling case for any significant expenditures. :rolleyes: I told her "I NEED these cool tools to help me be my best dear." Well she went online and found some wonderful models by masters using only hand tools. "If these modelers can make beautiful models with only hand tools, why can't you?" I knew what I was about to say was STUPID, but it did not stop me. "Well dear, for same reason you don't drive a horse and buggy to the hair dresser, instead of your brand new Genesis." :cool::confused: I did say it with a wry smile, which she understood. As she left the room I think I heard her mutter something like, "I should have married your brother." ROTF It is our way when partners both own a dry sense of humor. Banter is the way we show each other we care.

Sorry I took the long way to Grandma's house. My point is I need some $ myself.
If the kit doesn't move, I will have to get creative in some way, if I want to progress my project beyond planning and building spine, bulkheads and shell.

Last edited:
Hi Ken,

I'm not your guy but I'll add my endorsement. I think people who have followed my work know that I 'do my homework'. Well, there was a time when I did a deep dive on researching two ship models: the Vasa and the Victory. I struggled choosing which manufacturer for the Vasa - but the Caldercraft Victory was head and shoulders above the rest (barring the yet unreleased 1:48 Vic under development). All kits provide opportunities for improvement, but the Caldercraft version was the one to choose as a starting point if resources did not govern the decision. And now you have made the Caldercraft kit more affordable for the members of our forum. If I had another 'big' ship in me, I'd be all over this!
Paul, after following your Vasa build, boy would I love to see you put your focus and flavor on the Victory!! My favorite photo of your recent batch is the longitudinal view, from stem to stern showing perfect alignment of your masts, bottom to top! I didn't think I could see the mizzen. :D

I hope you have a big ship project in your future. You're a "youngun" still.

The Victory has been sold, shipped and received to one of our SoS members. I hope one day to follow his HMS Victory build log. :)

Interestingly, @dockattner and I have had similar approaches to our choice of kits. You might say, we ‘were in the same ‘boat’.

My original preference was to the Billings Vasa after a visit to the Vasamuseet in 2017, but I certainly had a close look at the Caldercraft Victory.

In the interim years, I am now near the completion of my Vasa build, but I haven’t forgotten the Victory. As the best and most accurate kit of this ship, I have since had the opportunity to purchase the kit, and it sits on my shelf, boxed and unopened ready to be my ‘next build’.

I look forward to the construction of this ship and am slowly building a library of the preferred background references. Like the Vasa, there is a large amount of documentation and research available for the Victory which I know, for @dockattner and I, is half the fun of detailing these ships.

Glad to see you have sold the kit @Hoss6262 and I hope it goes to a good home. Love to see a new build log for her.

Regards
PeterG

Interestingly, @dockattner and I have had similar approaches to our choice of kits. You might say, we ‘were in the same ‘boat’.

My original preference was to the Billings Vasa after a visit to the Vasamuseet in 2017, but I certainly had a close look at the Caldercraft Victory.

In the interim years, I am now near the completion of my Vasa build, but I haven’t forgotten the Victory. As the best and most accurate kit of this ship, I have since had the opportunity to purchase the kit, and it sits on my shelf, boxed and unopened ready to be my ‘next build’.

I look forward to the construction of this ship and am slowly building a library of the preferred background references. Like the Vasa, there is a large amount of documentation and research available for the Victory which I know, for @dockattner and I, is half the fun of detailing these ships.

Glad to see you have sold the kit @Hoss6262 and I hope it goes to a good home. Love to see a new build log for her.

Regards
PeterG
Awesome Peter! I’m excited to watch your progress.

Back