HMS Victory Mantua 1:78 (first build) by Grant Tyler

Really well done on the chain plates Grant! I'm fiddling around with methods for making mine as well. Merry Christmas to you and yours my friend.

Really well done on the chain plates Grant! I'm fiddling around with methods for making mine as well. Merry Christmas to you and yours my friend.
Hello Daniel. Thanks for this. If I had to do them again I would stay away from the rope strop to the dead eye to the channel. While it was easier for me and they are flexible so will follow the line of the shroud easier I think the brass would finish better. The Mantua method also appears “bulky” and I think a thinner chain plate would suite the model more( They are far removed from authenticity, however I will have to stick with this.) Still am relatively happy and will continue. My son say they look like paper clips now that is all I seeROTFROTF. Wishing you and your family a fantastic Christmas Daniel.

Beautiful pictures Grant! I think your chain plates look superb ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup. On this occasion though, to a nostalgic and homesick Capetonian, the picture of a summer' sunset along the South African West Coast, supersedes all! :) Please forgive me ...

I, too, am familiar with the emotion of lingering regret as I look at things I wish had turned out better. But there is relief in the simple fact that you see things that others will not because you are the builder and your hands were all over each piece. These rope strops will fade into the glorious final result and will not detract in any way.

Time to get a proper ship stand Grant. The bubble wrap isn't going to cut it much longer ROTF.

Be blessed this holiday enjoying time with your family and friends.

I think your ship looks great!
Paper clips and all! :p
I seriously would have no problem displaying that in my house…I can give you my address! :p
Happy holidays Grant!

Hello Daniel. Thanks for this. If I had to do them again I would stay away from the rope strop to the dead eye to the channel. While it was easier for me and they are flexible so will follow the line of the shroud easier I think the brass would finish better. The Mantua method also appears “bulky” and I think a thinner chain plate would suite the model more( They are far removed from authenticity, however I will have to stick with this.) Still am relatively happy and will continue. My son say they look like paper clips now that is all I seeROTFROTF. Wishing you and your family a fantastic Christmas Daniel.
Paperclips...
:D
When looking at the chain plates, is there a specific reason why you didn't solder the chain plates closed?

Beautiful pictures Grant! I think your chain plates look superb ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup. On this occasion though, to a nostalgic and homesick Capetonian, the picture of a summer' sunset along the South African West Coast, supersedes all! :) Please forgive me ...
Hello Heinrich. Thanks. I didn’t want to make you miss our town, it was just a beautiful evening. A bit of nostalgia is always good for the soulROTF Yes it was one of those evenings- picnic on beach little windetc etc- you know what I mean.

I think your ship looks great!
Paper clips and all! :p
I seriously would have no problem displaying that in my house…I can give you my address! :p
Happy holidays Grant!

Cheers Dean- you may for me to come and fetch those F1 vintage cars;). I think your Lion would get jealous- have a feeling he is very possessive.

I, too, am familiar with the emotion of lingering regret as I look at things I wish had turned out better. But there is relief in the simple fact that you see things that others will not because you are the builder and your hands were all over each piece. These rope strops will fade into the glorious final result and will not detract in any way.
Time to get a proper ship stand Grant. The bubble wrap isn't going to cut it much longer ROTF.

Be blessed this holiday enjoying time with your family and friends.
Thank you Paul.

No way- I love my bubble wrap- when I fight with my Victory I can pop all the bubblesROTFROTFROTF

Good morning. This morning I decided to play a bit and make the stern flag and flag pole. The flag flag is rather nice (material). The instructions glue this directly onto the pole- I had fun rigging this. The flag look large so did some research and found this:

The ensign is flown from the after most gaf peak from the stern staff(not poleRedface) when the ship is sailing and in port. When sailing the ensign is large (the one on my model), while in port significantly smaller- reason obvious.

My ship is curious- the ensign is the large one, the gun ports open for battle yet it has no sails. Anyway looks cool:cool:;).

I made some small cleats (circled red )and added rigging lines for the ensign. I deviated from the real ship here to make the ensign fit snuggly against the stern staff. The position of the eyelets are not symmetrical so my line are aft and stern more.

Not tied onto cleats yet as I won’t leave this on when I build.3B30B722-3EFE-4A51-8396-61434EDB3944.jpeg6C848D53-E728-4F91-87A0-7BAA912CAE0F.jpeg

N-I-C-E ! All of a sudden her heritage and character are unmistakable. Hey, who cares if your Victory is a curious ship at this stage - we all have to "play" sometimes - even when we build.

Hi Grant, I've never done it but if you look around you will find posts on how to give the flag a more natural drape (droop?). Is that sirens I hear???
Thanks Paul. I was thinking about that. It is nice material and the flag looks good from both sides which is rather nice. My flag will be packed away for a while - will only hoist it right at end, however what you suggest will make it look way better. Thanks for the advice and I will do. Cheers

Merry Christmas and a blessed new year to all of you here on SOS. I will see you all in new year.

I thought I would post a few pictures of the Christmas presents I made for Justin ( 26 years and Ashtyn (23 years). I scratch made these from left over wood, kebab sticks etc so not much detail. I made Ashtyn the Pride of Baltimore (well sort of;)) and Justin Yacht America. Been working on these for some months.
C2D688CA-16BD-433B-8AAE-B2C5EA4F4208.jpeg
FCC82B1A-2D44-46FC-88D1-3832923CCB8F.jpeg
74B7C921-D58D-408D-A1B7-35493B161EDA.jpeg5AF391E1-BF42-4D6D-AB59-A5E134DA816A.jpeg
31F5CC6A-51DA-4D03-9EB2-DEABBD1ECB3C.jpeg
C3BFA13A-D810-451D-BDC7-F0854D9A0D95.jpeg

Back