HMS Victory Photos

In the 80s I was in England for a training program. My firm arranged for me to spend a weekend on the Victory taking photographs although photos were not allowed at the time. I have about 300 photos from the keel to many photos of the rest of the ship, all B&W. I'll post a sample and if there is interest I can post more of them. Part of the ship was being rebuilt at the time so the bow was covered by tarps but I have some photos of details of the rebuild. I was told by one of the workers they could not get good oak in 6" thickness so they were using three, 2" thick planks glued together to cover the hull. Any interest in more?
Victory002 Modified.jpgVictory005 Modified JPG.jpgVictory012 Modified JPG.jpgVictory014 Modified JPG.jpgVictory019 Modified JPG.jpgVictory020 Modified JPG.jpgVictory021 Modified JPG.jpgVictory025 Modified JPG.jpgVictory027 Modified JPG.jpgVictory029 Modified JPG.jpgVictory030 Modified JPG.jpgVictory039 Modified JPG.jpgVictory042 Modified JPG.jpgVictory044 Modified JPG.jpgVictory049 Modified JPG.jpgVictory200 Modified JPG.jpg

These are great and off course for all other unknown photo documents.
Many Thanks for sharing them with us
There are a lot of members, who will be highly interested to see more or maybe all of these photos - @dafi Am I correct?

Same here, yes please. Some of these photos are from positions that I'm not sure are possible today i.e. I don't think it's possible to see the port side admirals entrance these days. Interesting also to see the signboard as represented on the Heller model, as opposed to the nicer (in my view) current paintwork. The masts, yards and rigging photos will be especially useful, all removed now and I don't expect they'll go back in my lifetime.

The crisis of timber availability goes back to the era of the Napoleonic wars. Britain's forests of old oaks were denuded and you just can't grow them faster. I just read a couple of books of great interest. One on the "Macedonian" recoun ts the use of oak from the Baltic and it's relative inferiority. The other was on the "Fighting Temeraire," which also recounted material supply difficulties in the constructing of the subject of Turner's famous painting and Victory's cohort at Trafalgar. "Chronicles of the Frigate Macedonian" By James Dekay- excellent read and highly recommended. "The Fighting Temeraire" Sam Willis. A very fine book with an interesting, even moving reflection on Turner's painting and its place in English memory. 1713024217569.png1713024322027.png They are very different books, but both are full of excellent details on the history, construction, uses and personalities associated with these magnificent machines.

In the 80s I was in England for a training program. My firm arranged for me to spend a weekend on the Victory taking photographs although photos were not allowed at the time. I have about 300 photos from the keel to many photos of the rest of the ship, all B&W. I'll post a sample and if there is interest I can post more of them. Part of the ship was being rebuilt at the time so the bow was covered by tarps but I have some photos of details of the rebuild. I was told by one of the workers they could not get good oak in 6" thickness so they were using three, 2" thick planks glued together to cover the hull. Any interest in more?
View attachment 440967View attachment 440968View attachment 440969View attachment 440970View attachment 440971View attachment 440972View attachment 440973View attachment 440974View attachment 440975View attachment 440976View attachment 440977View attachment 440978View attachment 440979View attachment 440980View attachment 440981View attachment 440982
I to would love to see more

While I am currently at the planking stage of my HMS Victory, the kind of information offered by such photographs is invaluable for my future detailing. Obviously as your images were taken in the 1980s, they are not digital but I assume, scanned from the originals. To scan the number you have is a big effort or has it been largely done?

If available I urge you to provide members with access, if not on this forum then a possible download site eg Dropbox or Google Drive.

Personally, I would be extremely interested. For example, I am currently grappling with a lack of detail around the ship’s counter under her stern and where the rudder post enters the hull. It is nearly impossible to get a good photograph of this area.

Best Regards,

PeterG

Excellent photos Jupiter and monochrome is a great medium, please post more.

Second group of photographs.Victory053 Modified JPG.jpgVictory055 Modified JPG.jpgVictory056 Modified JPG.jpgVictory057 Modified JPG.jpgVictory058 Modified JPG.jpgVictory060 Modifed JPG.jpgVictory061 Modified JPG.jpgVictory063 Modified JPG.jpgVictory066 Modified JPG.jpgVictory068 Modified JPG.jpgVictory071 Modified JPG.jpgVictory072 Modified JPG.jpgVictory078 Modified JPG.jpgVictory081 Modified JPG.jpgVictory082 Modified JPG.jpgVictory087 Modified JPG.jpgVictory088 Modified JPG.jpgVictory089 Modified JPG.jpgVictory091 Modified JPG.jpg
While I am currently at the planking stage of my HMS Victory, the kind of information offered by such photographs is invaluable for my future detailing. Obviously as your images were taken in the 1980s, they are not digital but I assume, scanned from the originals. To scan the number you have is a big effort or has it been largely done?

If available I urge you to provide members with access, if not on this forum then a possible download site eg Dropbox or Google Drive.

Personally, I would be extremely interested. For example, I am currently grappling with a lack of detail around the ship’s counter under her stern and where the rudder post enters the hull. It is nearly impossible to get a good photograph of this area.

Best Regards,

PeterG
Yes, all shot in the 80s on film. I just finished scanning all the photos I took and so am posting those I think are helpful on here. More to come!

Observing how roughly the original gun deck's planking was sawn, It's moving how many modellers, including myself, spend their effor delivering perfect planking and nailing... .

One thing I remember being struck by as I roamed the VIctory was the massive size of many of the structural timbers. Also, standing at the back of the main gun deck and looking down that area toward the bow was imagining what it would have been like for the gunners. Fighting the ship, it was not unusual for gunners, in the heat of battle, to bang their heads on the low overhead timbers. This sometimes gave rise to "Gunner's Disease" which was adult on-set traumatic epilepsy.

Back