HMS VICTORY The Hold

After finishing HMS Victory Open Deck View I realised you could not see the deck layout so I decided to build it once again but with separate decks at a smaller scale of 1/64, right now I am working on the middle gun deck.
So The Hold, a rather grim, dank, dark place! not very nice. The storage space is huge with the main magazine, air vents etc and most supplies for the odd 800 crew. Of course ballast would be spread to balance the ship which I have not done, also you cannot view many places so a little guesswork is needed, also I tried to finish it in a grim way. Hope you like. Paul

002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg

This is a very interesting idea - I will follow the execution of the different decks with big interest :cool:

Unusual and interesting project, I will follow your build.
Hi Jim
I think most members have not been on board HMS Victory so maybe do not know what the Hold is. I am still catching up with my builds and another 2 decks will be up to date which I will download over the next two months, there are seven decks in total, a wonderful ship to work on. Paul

I really enjoyed looking at your project. I just went on the Victory a couple of weeks ago. I took as many shots of her as I could in the short time I had to visit. My camera was my phone and it had a bit of a struggle to focus on the darker areas. There was no access to the hold but there were areas where I could shoot down into it. I am going to upload some here to see if it works. I reduced the size to under one megabyte. Forgive some of the blurriness.

I too look forward to seeing your progress on this.

20190927_131248.jpg

20190927_131217.jpg

20190927_131300.jpg

20190927_131355.jpg

20190927_131419.jpg

20190927_131434.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos, they show how awful it must have been working down there. Finding an exit door from the Hold through a door chopped out of the hull at forward port side and a shop selling souvenirs is a shame. The photos I downloaded are a bit bright because of the flash which I should not have used. I am building all 7 decks and then I will put them on a wall to see how clever they were all that time ago, next download is the Orlop deck. Thanks for your interest. Paul
P.S. Did you enjoy yourself?

Folks were using their flash also...even around the tour guides but no one said anything about it. And yes I agree that they should have kept the souvenir shop in one of the museums. Can't wait to see your next 6 decks.

Yes, I had a good time. would have been nice to have had a couple more days to explore the ship. I did manage a couple of thousand photos...mostly of close-ups of things and not the panorama type shots. I am trying to do a digital model that I can use in a game engine to allow a viewer to explore the ship on any deck and to be able to rotate it from any angle. It might be a dream but it will definitely keep me busy in my retired years.

Yes it's great going over HMS Warrior and Victory, did you look at my HMS Victory Open Deck View under scratch built models? Sounds too complicated for me what you are doing (digital model) sounds like something from the future! but enjoy. Paul

Once again, fantastic work! I am playing catch-up on your builds, and I apologize for the flood of likes and comments. I view a lot of builds at work and can not log-in or make comments, so I am doing your work justice now!

Hi is it Ziggy or something a bit more crazy!
Thanks for your this reply and the others you made with very nice comments. Was pleased with the open deck view as it was an interesting challenge to slowly GROW a model. I try to make something different each time.
Post Falls sounds nice
Paul

Thanks Paul, you're deck models are inspiring! There is a HMS Victory build made from the Heller model by Dafi and he is building deck by deck in amazing detail that included an entire crew. However, as he adds decks, he covers all his work. I really like your method and may consider building the USS Constitution this way.

Thanks Paul, you're deck models are inspiring! There is a HMS Victory build made from the Heller model by Dafi and he is building deck by deck in amazing detail that included an entire crew. However, as he adds decks, he covers all his work. I really like your method and may consider building the USS Constitution this way.
Hi Shane
That would be interesting to see, shame Dafi does not download it to this forum,
Paul

After finishing HMS Victory Open Deck View I realised you could not see the deck layout so I decided to build it once again but with separate decks at a smaller scale of 1/64, right now I am working on the middle gun deck.
So The Hold, a rather grim, dank, dark place! not very nice. The storage space is huge with the main magazine, air vents etc and most supplies for the odd 800 crew. Of course ballast would be spread to balance the ship which I have not done, also you cannot view many places so a little guesswork is needed, also I tried to finish it in a grim way. Hope you like. Paul

i am currently doing the pannart bow cross-section , which is a bit of a joke in terms of authenticity, but your work is just perfect and thanks to you I can redesign the interior details to be as closed as the real thing, love it , keep the good work

Back