Hobby Boss Akura Class 1/700

Afternoon gents and ladies,

I am currently (as a in-between job) working on the Hobby Boss 1/700 Akura Class submarine. for the hull it says black.

I think that in this scale pure black may be too dark. Any suggestions on colours to use on the hull dark grey perhaps?). In this variant the hull is black with a white boot line (?). It does not show hull red on the lower part of the hull.

I am currently (as a in-between job) working on the Hobby Boss 1/700 Akura Class submarine. for the hull it says black.

I think that in this scale pure black may be too dark. Any suggestions on colours to use on the hull dark grey perhaps?). In this variant the hull is black with a white boot line (?). It does not show hull red on the lower part of the hull.
You can add just a touch of green to it to make it look like oily black or grime black.

You’re right about pure black not looking right in scale, especially on a large surface area. A couple years back I did a 1/32 F117 Stealth, decided on Vallejo Panzer Aces series 70.306 Dark Rubber, and it came out looking very good.

Last edited:
You’re right about pure black not looking right in scale, especially on a large surface area. A couple years back I did a 1/32 F117 Stealth, decided on Vallejo Panzer Aces series 70.306 Dark Rubber, and it came out looking very good.
Thank you, I agree. I have decided to use german grey on her. Came out quite well. Or at least I am satisfied ...

I do not know whether I have replied, but that sounds like good advice. I have settled on a very dark grey, perhaps not dark enough but it turned out reasonably well. Will attach a picture.

Akula Class Sub.jpg

Не знаю, ответил ли я, но это звучит как хороший совет. Я остановился на очень темно-сером цвете, возможно, недостаточно темном, но получилось достаточно хорошо. Приложу картинку.

View attachment 408978
Привет! Хочу лишь добавить: у подводной лодки наружное резиновое покрытие. Действительно тёмный тёмно-серый цвет, а главное матовый. Совсем не блестящий. Я бы его немного состарил.. придал вид корабля, находящегося под водой.. Это лишь мое мнение.

Hello! I just want to add: the submarine has an external rubber coating. A really dark dark gray color, and most importantly matte. Not shiny at all. I would age it a little... make it look like a ship under water... This is just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also try the gallery on Model Warships. I think they have a few Russian subs in there you can use for color reference.

Thanks for the link, will have a look at it.
Привет! Хочу лишь добавить: у подводной лодки наружное резиновое покрытие. Действительно тёмный тёмно-серый цвет, а главное матовый. Совсем не блестящий. Я бы его немного состарил.. придал вид корабля, находящегося под водой.. Это лишь мое мнение.

Hello! I just want to add: the submarine has an external rubber coating. A really dark dark gray color, and most importantly matte. Not shiny at all. I would age it a little... make it look like a ship under water... This is just my opinion.
Great information, thank you so much. I received these posts a bit late as I have not been on SOS for a while. But there is another sub in the pipeline from the Typhoon class.

To all who replied and gave advice, many thanks. The submarine received a bit of weathering today (using oils). And when the paint has settled and dried a bit more, I will post a picture. Thank you again for the support. Great site site this :)

The Akula is busy drying, but I have succeeded in getting her onto the display stand. The sub is now awaiting a coat of varnish to protect the oil paint. I did the "weathering" in oils as I am not too keen on acrylics when it comes to producing effects.

It was a reasonable build. The joint between the upper and lower hulls took a lot of work, and one word of advice, to get e reasonable fit between the two halves drill out the holes where the location pins should go.

And then looking for a next project I took out Hobby Boss' Typhoon class and my breath was taken away when I saw the size of that it. It makes the Akula look like a midget sub ... :eek:

Akula Class A.jpg

Back