Home Made Keel Clamp

Here's a little keel clamp I whipped up for my "Independence" build. The base is 3/4" plywood, and the rest is 1/2" hard maple, but any hardwood would do. I had all the hardware on hand, but if you buy the fancy star knobs etc, the hardware should cost about $20. If you use thumbscrews and wing nuts, you could build the clamp for less than $5.00 plus the cost of the wood.

I willing to spend some time drawing plans, a bill of materials and assembly instructions if there is any interest out there. I think this clamp is better than anything commercially available. Using this clamp an attached ship can pivot stably in all three axes!

Is there any interest?

Here's a little keel clamp I whipped up for my "Independence" build. The base is 3/4" plywood, and the rest is 1/2" hard maple, but any hardwood would do. I had all the hardware on hand, but if you buy the fancy star knobs etc, the hardware should cost about $20. If you use thumbscrews and wing nuts, you could build the clamp for less than $5.00 plus the cost of the wood.

I willing to spend some time drawing plans, a bill of materials and assembly instructions if there is any interest out there. I think this clamp is better than anything commercially available. Using this clamp an attached ship can pivot stably in all three axes!

Is there any interest?

View attachment 80482
Hey Dave can show how top swivel attaches to the clamp I've started to build one but cant quite work out in the picture how the clamp is attached to the swivel thingy thanks in advance.

Back