Horace Dodge's yacht DELPHINE

At the end of last week, we celebrated the 100 years of that iconic vessel.
She was the largest yacht launched in the USA at the time, and unless we have overlooked something, she still is the largest steam yacht ever built in the USA, and the second largest yacht (the prize for the largest going to the relatively modern "Cakewalk")
Many articles have been published about her, and the best by far comes from The Howorths

We have a trove of original drawings, and there are some more to be found at the Mystic Seaport Museum as well as in the historical collections of the Bowling Green State University.
I will attempt to make a selection and format them for posting here in time.
I can also recommend the book that has been written by Ineke Bruynooghe, a historian of the arts and the daughter of the man who saved the ship and had her rebuilt in 1998.
The book is out of print, but occasionally comes on the second hand market. I was fortunate to have bought it long before I was involved with the vessel.

image001.jpgimage002.jpg

What a Beauty - many Thanks for starting this report about this highly interesting yacht

most impressive for me is the fact, that she has still her original engine

an older video:
Thanks for the videos Uwek.
The upper one is a slow trial in Aveiro in 2016, while the lower one is very old indeed, aven possibly before the 1998 conversion.

Here she is in recent days at cruising speed
View attachment WhatsApp Video 2020-11-19 at 10.51.00 3.mp4
:

Here are the drawings of the current arrangements of SS Delphine.

Guest profile.jpg

There have been many modifications over the years:
- Rebuilding after the fire in 1926-1931, in French style rather than Tiffany
- Modification by the Navy in 1942
- Rebuilding almost as before the war in 1946 by Anna Dodge and family
- Modifications for a training ship in the late sixties
- Complete rebuild and conversion to modern commercial standards in 1998-2003

Attachments

• 001-1 General Arrangement..pdf
    188.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 001-2 General Arrangement..pdf
    571.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 001-3 General Arrangement..pdf
    247 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the drawings of the current arrangements of SS Delphine.
View attachment 225795
There have been many modifications over the years:
- Rebuilding after the fire in 1926-1931, in French style rather than Tiffany
- Modification by the Navy in 1942
- Rebuilding almost as before the war in 1946 by Anna Dodge and family
- Modifications for a training ship in the late sixties
- Complete rebuild and conversion to modern commercial standards in 1998-2003

What a beauty. If I will be able to find her lines plan, I'll add this beauty to my future project list. Thanks for sharing.

What a beauty. If I will be able to find her lines plan, I'll add this beauty to my future project list. Thanks for sharing.
The best we have is this docking plan.
The new and the old (but with annotations from the 1998 rebuild.
I have better sizes, but I'm not sure what the site will allow.
MYSCAN_20170110_0004.jpg

Attachments

• 021 Docking plan Layout3 (1).pdf
    224.6 KB · Views: 34
The best we have is this docking plan.
The new and the old (but with annotations from the 1998 rebuild.
I have better sizes, but I'm not sure what the site will allow.
View attachment 225816
Thanks for sharing again. The new one can be easly converted to dwg. Thats good news. If there is no restriction or copyright issues, I can convert it and share under this post. :)

Last edited:
She was the largest yacht launched in the USA at the time, and unless we have overlooked something, she still is the largest steam yacht ever built in the USA, and the second largest yacht (the prize for the largest going to the relatively modern "Cakewalk")
Many articles have been published about her, and the best by far comes from The Howorths

We have a trove of original drawings, and there are some more to be found at the Mystic Seaport Museum as well as in the historical collections of the Bowling Green State University.
I can also recommend the book that has been written by Ineke Bruynooghe, a historian of the arts and the daughter of the man who saved the ship and had her rebuilt in 1998.
The book is out of print, but occasionally comes on the second hand market. I was fortunate to have bought it long before I was involved with the vessel.
Hallo @Encre de Chine
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @Encre de Chine
Birthday-Cake

View attachment 225556View attachment 225558
Hallo @Encre de Chine
Birthday-Cake

Back