How do I safely bend tubing?

I have searched for tube bending but cannot find any posts on the topic. I considered using water and detergent or water alone and I know there are other techniques. Which technique works best?

I have searched for tube bending but cannot find any posts on the topic. I considered using water and detergent or water alone and I know there are other techniques. Which technique works best?
which material are the tubes?

What diameters are you considering? There are springs you put the tubing in before bending. I bought the Micro-Mark bender primarily for bending wood but it also has grooves for roller bending smaller tubing. Anything much larger, you can use a tubing bender.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210520-090611_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210520-090611_Chrome.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 39
Find a piece of solid brass rod the same ID as your tubing. Insert the rod in the tubing and bend away! (Then try to figure out how to remove the rod! LOL!!)

What diameters are you considering? There are springs you put the tubing in before bending. I bought the Micro-Mark bender primarily for bending wood but it also has grooves for roller bending smaller tubing. Anything much larger, you can use a tubing bender.
I wont build any more models that will have bent tubing so the tool will just sit. And Billing provides a length of electrical wire of the same diameter that is covered with black cloth. It simulates wrapped steam pipe. So if I totally screw up I can use the wire.

Here are few suggestions

HOME SHOP TECH Articles

Has anyone tried filling the tube with molten lead (if at all possible with very small dias) and reheating after bending to remove the lead core? There is also a metal on the market with a very low melting point. I forgot its name, though.

I think you can make a jig to bend it better than this, more uniformly anyway, but you can see how this person does it for copper tubing for an alcohol lamp. Starts bending at 3:26 and he uses aluminum oxide grit blast medium to fill the tubing and keep it from going oval during the bend.

Another hobby of mine is building custom, water cooled computers.
20180329_134152.jpg20180329_134202.jpg20180329_134228.jpg20180329_134252.jpg

I always need to bend clear PVC tubing, by heating it up with a heat gun. To prevent the tubing from collapsing, I insert silicone rods. Once the PVC has cooled down, you just pull out the silicone rod.

I'm confident you would be able to do the same with brass tubing. You would most likely need to lubricate it with mineral oil or another lubricant. The only challenge I see is finding it in smaller than your 3mm OD. With that said, you can search for "silicone rods". Good luck!

Cheers,
Ken

Hi Ironrod60,

How tight is the bend?

Lead solder of the appropriate diameter is a good substitute for simulating pipe work you can glue the bend onto the tube.

A block of wood can made with the correct internal radius then a groove filed into the block for the tube to snuggly sit into then bent to shape.

I would recommend annealing the tube before and probably several times during the bending process.

Copper tube lends itself more to bending, again after annealing.

To anneal heat the tube to a cherry red and quench in water for best resalts.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Trumpets curvatures (and many other things) are made with frozen soapy water inside to prevent colapsing

On something this small just the handling of it might melt it before you bend it

I would go to a brass Rod that fits inside, or Cooper wire, whatever you find 1st

Back