How many anchor cables in use?

Hi friends!

There are so many ways to display the anchors and anchor cables on model ships. I'm looking for advice from someone who knows a bit about anchors and their deployment. On my last model, I displayed all four anchors on the channels, each connected to their individual anchor cables. On my current model, I was thinking of displaying the forward bower anchor as shown below, in the process of being retrieved and hanging from the cathead hook. The anchor behind it would be stored as the one on the right, lashed to the anchor to the channel. Why there already is a forward bower anchor on the channel, I have no idea. There is no place left to store the anchor they are currently weighing! Keep reading below, I'm just getting to my question. .
1644096727457.png

As you can see, the port forward anchor line is rigged with a messenger (vyol line) as if the anchor is being lifted. The starboard forward anchor cable has a turn round the bitt and stoppers holding it to the deck, and its anchor will be stored on the channel.
552 Installed Hanging knees in Lower Deck Bow Section.jpg

Question: were the aft anchor cables often left attached to their anchors while those anchors are stored on the channels? If so, would have to run more cables on the deck and run them down the main hatch and down to the orlop deck, and those extra cables would clutter the deck up quite a bit, interfering with the anchor weighing operation in progress for the port forward bower anchor. Should I run a second cable for the after starboard anchor and leave the after port anchor with no cable attached? Looking for some opinions here guys....1644098213121.png Please help.

From the book of Nelson's Navy The ships, Men and Organization 1793-1815

Most of the sixth-rate ships and above carried four large anchors, of similar size and weight. Two were kept permanently at the bows and were known as the bower anchors. The other two were lashed against the channels of the foremast and known as the spare and the sheet anchors.

Kurt,

Further to Jim’s post above there is also some really good information on anchors, stowage, securing and management in John Harland’s book ‘Seamanship in the Age of Sail’, Chapter 18. A really excellent book.

In particular there are sections dealing with:
- Naming and Disposition of anchors
- Disposition of the cables
- Arrangement of anchors and cables
- Handling and stowage of hemp cable
- Handling and stowage of chain cable
- Hawseholes and manger (the space abaft the hawseholes, which received the water bulging through the hawse/s in bad weather).
- Different types of stopper/s
- and then quite a few pages on the mechanics of anchoring, coming to anchor, and so on.

Kurt,

Further to Jim’s post above there is also some really good information on anchors, stowage, securing and management in John Harland’s book ‘Seamanship in the Age of Sail’, Chapter 18. A really excellent book.

- Hawseholes and manger (the space abaft the hawseholes, which received the water bulging through the hawse/s in bad weather).
- and then quite a few pages on the mechanics of anchoring, coming to anchor, and so on.
Excellent suggestion, I just read this chapter. Very good reading, highly recommend.

This is all great information, guys! Thanks to all who contributed information. When building a model where almost every step is a new experience, it's so important to find and understand such information in order not to forget to add features to your model but also to get those features that you do build as correct as possible.

Kurt,

I just purchased this book now on eBay. Looking forward to reading it.

Kurt,

If somebody else is interested in this interesting book, please take a look:

Good choice. I have a steadily growing library of books related to the Age of Sail and this Harland books has to rank as one of my favourites.
....yea, I see that. One of the books I was targeting - is gone because of you! :p (just kidding)

The seller was asking £30(free p&p). Thought I'd be cheeky and offered £25 which was accepted but spoiled my fun by including £3.30 p&p! Still a winner.

Roger, be careful buying books; I have literally thousands.....can't move for the damn things.
I recon I could have spent more on women. But by now I'd have nothing LOL.

You always know where you are with a good book.
I've known several good women that turned out bad.

Back to the topic....each and every one would have looked a lot better with an anchor tied around their neck.

I don't think I'm a misogynist, but my fingers are still covered with burns.

Back