How to build a Miniature British collier brig

This download was completed yesterday (28th July, 2019) and is proving very successful. Maybe because it produces quite an attractive little ship with very little in the way of space, time, tools or effort, at very little cost. Ideal for a first time miniature build. It has 22 pages, 4,917 words and 51 images, including plans of the brig Sicily at the scale of the model (25 feet to 1 inch 1:300) The hull is 95mm long on the waterline. As it is rigged with fine copper wire, glued on in short lengths, there are no knots anywhere. This method is far easier than the popular, but tedious, method of using twine with hundreds of tiny knots. It may be read on computers or tablets etc, and if printed out. will make an A4 size booklet 298mm by 211mm. Click the link and scroll down a bit after it opens to read the synopsis, then, if you wish to purchase a download, a button for Paypal or cards is provided for £1.49 ($1.84 US) https://payhip.com/b/T98k
Sicily for blog 17th March 2018 (Large).JPG

Looks interesting. What types of woods do you use for this type of project. Also thanks for taking the time to put together instructions for others to learn and experiment from. Based on the price it’s clear this is a labor of love not profit. Great contribution to the ship modeling community.

Thanks. Any wood is OK. I prefer obeche because I have a good supply, but balsa wood would be suitable and easier to cut. In the past, I produced these instructional items free of charge and just sent them by e-mail. But only about one in ten ever bothered to come back with a simple "thank you" e-mail, and I was overwhelmed by requests for them. Eventually, I began to put a nominal charge on them, and that reduced the demand from extremely high, to quite low, but as the system is now automatic, I am not involved in the sending of them. I only find out that one has sold when I get an automatic e-mail from Payhip advising me!

I downloaded the Sicily booklet last week along with several other of your on line publications. I'm hooked I think. I like the variety of subjects and the quicker build times and smaller size. I have built six kits and they do take up space and I am slow so progress is slow. I especially like the copper wire rigging. That alone suggests I might be able to turn out something creditable. I'm sourcing the wire and brass rod and tubes while I am finishing the current kit and then plan to try the Sicily, or even work on it in parallel as a bit of light relief from making 50 oars for a bireme. Many Thanks for providing all the information and stimulating interest in the subjects

I now have the wood (trying basswood), some copper tubes and wire. I plan to start working on the Sicily this week, hurricanes notwithstanding.
Good Luck with your eyes. Anything eyes is always scary. Do every post operative routine they give you and I'm sure all will be fine. Thank you for the excellent instructional booklets. There is a wealth of material there. I found a second hand copy of MacGregors "Merchant Sailing Ships" which has beautiful illustrations and plans

My copy of Schooner Sunset arrived yesterday. Thank you for the recommendation. It is an excellent book. I like all the sketches of details of the working boats and their sailing. Some wonderful details and a lot of great looking plan.
I started the Sicily brig but my skill with the scroll saw left a lot to be desired so the Mark 2 is glued up ready to adjust the sheer.

The book is perfect for making a start on miniatures. I know what you mean about scroll saw cutting. When I use mine, the blade seems to wander about all over the place. But there is nothing to stop you using balsa wood that is a lot easier to cut and shape. The beauty of these small ships is that the materials cost virtually nothing and they don't take all that long to build either. The Squirrel, above, took only 23 hours to build, spread over 16 days, and that included making the display case and carrying case. It sold for just over $300 on Ebay. I know a lot of model shipbuilders would never dream of selling their models, but I build so many, I have to get rid of them somehow!:) I hand all the proceeds to my wife, so I never get any objections to my building them!:cool: We have kept a small number of favourites - this is one -
County of Roxburgh 2.JPG

Back