how to glue template to wood

what "glue" should i use to stick my paper template to wood , it needs to be easily removed but hold while cutting out ,

what "glue" should i use to stick my paper template to wood , it needs to be easily removed but hold while cutting out ,
This stuff is called rubber cement.
I am using the Marabu rubber cement Fixo gum
343638_3028191.jpg

After cut you can remove the paper and the rest of the glue by rubbing with your fingers over the wood - great and easy

Elmer’s works well. Removing residue from multiple parts (like making frames) can be tedious. I use the shown gum eraser. Works like a charm and quickly. One swipe with acetone after you “erase” the residue and you’re done! Buy the eraser on the internet. Hobby Lobby or Michaels may have them also.59DDFC64-E03F-46E6-8653-03DC77B0E1C4.jpeg

Elmer's is about $7.50 for 8 ounces at Michael's. You can probably find it cheaper. 8 ounces will allow you to cut out the frames for a full scratch built POF model of the colonial schooner Hannah in 1:32 scale. I know that for a fact!

Last edited:
I find the water soluble glue sticks to work better than rubber cement. The hold is just enough while you are cutting out the piece, it is less messy, and then the residue is very easily removed after the paper is peeled off.

I find the water soluble glue sticks to work better than rubber cement. The hold is just enough while you are cutting out the piece, it is less messy, and then the residue is very easily removed after the paper is peeled off.
I use the water-soluble glue sticks also: UHU STIC. Very easy and clean.
Alex R

I agree with the image above of what Schrader posted. This is the easiest in my opinion. After the fact, I just scrape it off with a steel straight edge or something.
Leave enough meat on the part, so you can sand down to the solid red and blue lines.

I use the glue stick method and have found it to work successfully. It is easy to remove the template from the wood with a little sanding. I tried rubber cement in the beginning but did not care for it as it was too messy.

I use the glue stick method and have found it to work successfully. It is easy to remove the template from the wood with a little sanding. I tried rubber cement in the beginning but did not care for it as it was too messy.
I'll certainly try this out. What a wonderful thing the forum is, where shared interests share knowledge and experience

Truthfully, both methods work fine. Rubber cement has been used on paper for eons--generations (literally..). Used properly, the paper behaves well and the remaining rubber glue just rolls off later. The glue sticks also work fine. I typically use glue sticks more than rubber cement, mostly because I have them around and they don't seem to dry up and they last forever (almost..).

This is a perfect example of why we have Chocolate AND Vanilla.... Different strokes for different folks.!!
Coffee-CupBeer

Back