How to smooth out folded / creased plans

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

What method do you think is best to smooth out plans that have been folded to get the creases out. The Admiral suggest a clothes iron set on lowest setting. That doesn't seem right

Thanks for any suggestions.

I just watched a video of someone taking a slight damp paper towel and rubbing over the creases. Then taking an Iron set on low and rubbed out the creases.

That has always worked for me, Donnie. Make sure that your iron is set to low, however. Plans turn a different color on high heat - I learned the hard way ;)

As bookbinders we often use a low heat iron over baking paper. Try it dry first, then if more needed, a light mist with clean water on the paper and try again (still using baking paper to protect the surface from the iron).

Always try a test area first, especially over inks. (NOTE RegG's comment above). They are not always indelible and can blur if wet or change colour if heated.

We are sometimes treating 200+ year old paper and inks so have learnt to be super careful. :cool:

I just watched a video of someone taking a slight damp paper towel and rubbing over the creases. Then taking an Iron set on low and rubbed out the creases.
This method has worked for me.

I used the Staples method: Took my plans to Staples, had them make two full-size copies, one of which I cut up to show individual sections or details, the other I used full size, and placed the original in the closet. I also got an electronic version in PDF, which I can bring up on my computer and zoom in for detail or print any area I need to. I think it cost like $15 for that.

Office on third floor, shop on ground floor; I use the "Staples" method too. Small sections of the plan/current work can be taken to the shop, you can even make overlays in two colors/layers with the pdf's you get from Staples as a byproduct of getting prints made.

Careful using any moisture, may cause the ink to bleed. Try the Admiral's method..with a dry iron on low heat. Or depending on the size, sandwich them between clamped plywood.

Back