Howdy! from Texas

Hi everyone. I'm a landlubber from Texas (Dallas area). I've been into modeling most of my life. Built lots of cars and planes when I was a boy. My parents got tired of seeing me finish a model so quickly, so I got a Revell USS Constitution one Christmas. I was only 11-12 years old. The hull work was fun, but when I got to the rigging, I just didn't have the patience for it and took shortcuts so I could finish. In a sad twist of fate, my parents' house had a fire when I was 13. I went in to see all my models, including the Constitution, melted. Then it was off to high school and college and my model making days were behind me...for a little while.

In my early adult years, I decided to try modeling again. I thought working with wood would be more fun than plastic. My completed builds include a Virginia Pilot Boat, "Harvey" - a Baltimore clipper, and then Mamoli's USS Constitution which I finished in 1992. I had a great time working with a cabinet maker to create a custom cabinet for the Constitution.

27 years passed by without any more ship modeling, but I also knew I'd build another. I wanted a big challenge next time. I looked long and hard at Americo Vespucci models because I loved the amount of deck work on that ship, but I also missed seeing the carronades which she didn't possess. I also looked at HMS Sovereign of the Seas because of her being a battleship and her enormous ornamentation, but I wanted her to have more deck work. In the end, I decided on the most famous (in my opinion) ship during the Age of Sail...the HMS Victory (kit from Artesania Latina). I started it on Feb 1, 2019. I've now got more than 1300 hours into the build and am only in the middle of constructing the masts (no rigging yet). I look forward to the challenge of researching and rigging a first rate ship of the line.

I'll be starting a build log to show some pictures along the way, and of some of the customizations that I've made.

Welcome, and I look forward to seeing your build log. The rigging is not that bad - I can help a little.

Kent, good to hear. I'm in McKinney.

Do you have any builds currently underway?
Nevermind...I guess that's what the badges are in your last reply. I'll take a look. Still getting used to how things work on this site.

Welcome to SOS.... THE place to be, if you want to be somewhere.! Lots to see around here. Lots of good, helpful folks.
The Victory is a popular build, thats for certain. Be sure to start the build log. We love pictures.!!

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I am looking forward to see your building log

We are almost neighbors...I'm from Frisco. No current builds. Waiting for lumber for the Canoe and Blandford Projects.

We are almost neighbors...I'm from Frisco. No current builds. Waiting for lumber for the Canoe and Blandford Projects.
Hi Kent. Close neighbors is right. I’m off Custer Road and Virginia Parkway. Across Custer is Frisco. The canoe build looks like great fun.

Hi Kent. Close neighbors is right. I’m off Custer Road and Virginia Parkway. Across Custer is Frisco. The canoe build looks like great fun.
Hello Ron, another close neighbor here. I’m near the Virginia and Hardin area.

Welcome to all the Texas gang from neighbor to the north!

Maybe when this virus clears up we can look at a Midwest Model Ship meeting so we can get together and show our work!

Kurt K
Oklahoma City OK

Back