Hudson River Sloop First Effort

In the 1800's and earlier, trade up and down the Hudson Riven between New York and Albany was carried on purpose built sloops as described in the book "The Sloops of the Hudson River" by Paul E. Fontenoy. The book contains plans for a typical sloop from 1830 named First Effort, and I scratch built the model shown below by the plank on bulkhead method with cherry planking and woodwook except for a birch ply deck. The scale was set at 1/72 to give a 12" hull.First Effort1.jpegFirst Effort 2.jpegFirst Effort 3.jpegFirst Effort 4.jpeg

In the 1800's and earlier, trade up and down the Hudson Riven between New York and Albany was carried on purpose built sloops as described in the book "The Sloops of the Hudson River" by Paul E. Fontenoy. The book contains plans for a typical sloop from 1830 named First Effort, and I scratch built the model shown below by the plank on bulkhead method with cherry planking and woodwook except for a birch ply deck. The scale was set at 1/72 to give a 12" hull.View attachment 390439View attachment 390440View attachment 390441View attachment 390442
Nicely done
I would install sails. I built the Hudson River sloop Victorine based on Portia Takajians plans. I put sails on her

IMG_0113.jpeg

Very nice Victorine. The book I mentioned has plans for both so spending a few bucks for a used copy gets you two sets of very usable plans for a scratch build. In regard to sails, I have always felt this was the builder's aesthetic decision on a model. I prefer to go sailess because to my eye they detract too much from the work on the hull and rigging.

Don't forget the Clearwater is still sailing on the river and a great reference for this class of boat.
A very effective PR tool for cleaning up the mess that was the Hudson. When I was living on the upper Hudson 40+ years ago I figured I'd get a fishing license. With it came a colorful brochure showing me how to trim away the most toxic parts of the catch- mostly fatty pieces, and a helpful species by species break down of what to eat- "eat none", "eat no more than one meal per week", "eat no more than one meal per week and discard cooking liquid". I decided not to go fishing. The river is far from clean, but at least better than it was.

Last edited:
Don't forget the Clearwater is still sailing on the river and a great reference for this class of boat.
A very effective PR tool for cleaning up the mess that was the Hudson. When I was living on the upper Hudson 40+ years ago I figured I'd get a fishing license. With it came a colorful brochure showing me how to trim away the most toxic parts of the catch- mostly fatty pieces, and a helpful species by species break down of what to eat- "eat none", "eat no more than one meal per week", "eat no more than one meal per week and discard cooking liquid". I decided not to go fishing. The river is far from clean, but at least better than it was.
Plans for the Clearwater are also in the book I mentioned if anyone is interested in making a model of her. She, and Pete Seger, certsainly can take credit for a lot of the improvement in the Hudson.

Polydoc, and Pebbleworm, thanks for your comments on the sloops. Based on your input I just ordered the book on E-Bay yesterday so I can learn more about the history of the Hudson River. Magic Mike

Another good book is Sloops of the Hudson River by William Vanderplanck first published in 1908.

Model Shipways had a Victorine kit years ago in the old yellow box. You see them on ebay occasionally.

Back