Hull color of Beagle

Hallo,
I am building the Beagle by Occre (beutiful model).
The topside is black with a central part white.
I have a question about painting the hull. In the instruction the hull is natural wood color with primer.
In real life the hull was really natural wood ? There wasn't antifouling protection ? o other paint ?
Maybe the hull really was black painted ?
In another image i saw a model with all the hull white painted .
Can someone help me ?
Thank.

Take a look here:

The Beagle (“almost completely rotten”) was stripped right down to her timbers and carefully rebuilt. In the process, by FitzRoy’s request, the upper deck was raised 8 inches aft and 12 inches forward. This “proved to be of greatest advantage to her as a sea boat, besides adding so materially to the comfort of all on board.” A man could now stand upright in the lower deck! Her bottom was also reinforced with 2-inch fir, a coating of felt, and new copper, which added about 15 tons to her displacement.

So the hull of the Beagle was coppered!

Thanks for the reply.
The copper cover of the hull was probably reserved for vessels with particular missions, because it was expensive and heavier than the hull.
In those years the antifouling paint had not yet been invented.
Was the hull normally covered with pitch? I don't think it was left to natural wood.
What do you think about it ?

At this time, means with launch in 1820, all ships of the navy were coppered, independent of the mission or the sea it was serving.
Even older than the sheathing methods were the various graving and paying techniques. There were three main substances used: White stuff, which was a mixture of whale oil, rosin and brimstone; Black stuff, a mixture of tar and pitch; and Brown stuff, which was simply brimstone added to Black stuff. It was common practice to coat the hull with the selected substance, then cover that with a thin outer layer of wooden planking.

take a look at this interesting article in wikipedia about the history of copper sheating

This one is almost a "modelers choice!" Either copper the hull which takes more time and patience or paint it white to simulate the "white stuff." A third option is purely for display show...leave natural wood and poly it.

The problem is where to buy the copper plates.
What size should they be?
Should they be fixed with tacks?

The problem is where to buy the copper plates.
What size should they be?
Should they be fixed with tacks?
Take a look at this topic for example
There are self adhesive foils existing, already with nail pattern, and in different scales (1:48. 1:75 and 1:96)

Glue the copper plates on with superglue, carefully so the glue doesn’t ooze out from behind.
Several sources of copper plates online if you do a search.
The originals were obviously nailed on but the nails would be too small to do this on a model ship. Another method is to use a fine tube to impress the nail detail onto the copper before you glue it on.
Vanguard Models supply nice copper plate sheets with some kits.

I remembered, that I made a small tutorial some years ago..... showing also one way

Hallo,
I am building the Beagle by Occre (beutiful model).
The topside is black with a central part white.
I have a question about painting the hull. In the instruction the hull is natural wood color with primer.
In real life the hull was really natural wood ? There wasn't antifouling protection ? o other paint ?
Maybe the hull really was black painted ?
In another image i saw a model with all the hull white painted .
Can someone help me ?
Thank.
Hallo @Marc56
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day
Birthday-Cake

Back