Hull planking

My currant build is the Model Shipways Muscongus Bay lobster smack. All of the hull planking was way to short. I called them and was told that they would send me another sheet of the planking. I said that unless it had changed, it wouldn't make a difference.
I had enough planking to make my own. As you can see from the picture, it's not working out well. When finally done, it takes hours of filling and sanding to make it fare enough paint. I've built 25 ship models and I've never had success with edge bending even though I've soaked them in hot water for up to an hour. Any suggestions?IMG_1344.jpg

I use an iron set on "cotton". Wet the wood. Lay it flat on a smooth surface. Hold it down firmly with the iron and pull the wood out while pulling it sideways. Takes a bit of practice. Let me know if you can't follow my instructions and I'll try to do better.

Is this the Midwest version or the Model Shipways version? I just completed the Midwest version and it was a bugger to get the large planking right. I soaked them about 30 minutes and then clamped them to the frame overnight so that the following day it was "easier" to fit them for gluing and clamping. Then followed with lots of sanding and wood putty and more sanding and more putty and...,. A word of caution, the basswood is very soft and quite easy to take off too much material. The balsa wood filler blocks in the bow section were easy to shape but miserable to prepare for painting. I've since read about the use of sanding primer.
The kit itself had plenty of material. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have gone with the Model Shipways version.

Не мучайся и купи термоапликатор, с ним работа пойдет значительно проще. Как им пользоваться есть на Ютубе.
Смотри, что есть на AliExpress! Термоаппликатор, APL01 за 3 141 ₽ - уже со скидкой -17%
Первая попавшаяся ссылка, можно найти дешевле.

Don’t worry and buy a thermal applicator; with it the work will be much easier. How to use it is on YouTube.
Look what's on AliExpress! Thermal applicator, APL01 for 3,141 ₽ - already with a discount of -17%
The first link you come across, you can find it cheaper.

Screenshot_20240127-063437.png

Last edited by a moderator:
and the small iron @Winter is showing is really working well for some smaller heating and bending works
I made the complete bending of the outer hull planking of my Granado exactly with this tool - it is working and very cheap

I've never had success with edge bending even though I've soaked them in hot water for up to an hour. Any suggestions?

you should never ever try to edge bend hull planking like you said it just does not work. What i do is used cardboard and shape the plank to fit once i have a pattern i cut it in wood.

Back