Humble greetings

First the bad news. I am a virgin to the real ships modeling scene. Never build something that would float, model or not. Yet I want to take on the ultimate challenge, an admiralty model. Not from scratch (I am not insane), but it will be quite a challenge even to build it from the better kits I suppose.
On the other side: I am an experienced modeller (from 8 years old) in all kind of materials but mainly wood. When I lived in London to do research I regularly visited the Maritime in Greenwich and those models have always been a dream for me. To make one, to hold one.
What advise can you give me (apart from skipping the whole idea and start collecting stamps)?

Ditto, just jump right in. I started a few years back with absoluty no build experience and have been enjoying the hobby ever since.

welcome to the forums!
You are indeed looking to start at the highest levels in our hobby. I liken it to wanting to learn to drive a car so you buy a formula 1 race car.
I would strongly encourage you to start a bit slower into the hobby and build something like an Occre Albatross (beginner level) or maybe even the Occre Beagle (intermediate level). If you want to do an admiralty model because you don't want to work with masts and rigging, you can do that with what ever kit you chose to start with. Once you finish the first kit, that will give you a better understanding of your abilities so you can better decide where you want to go next. If after the Albatross you don't like the hobby, you have only wasted a little money as compared to the cost of a nice admiralty model. If you are still after an admiralty model, there are many to chose from.

Thank you all very much for your comments! I was expecting a stern rebuke so I love the welcoming sounds. I will stay humble for a while I think, browsing through the builds that members of this forum have come up with. Hope to show you some material results sometimes in the future.

welcome to the forums!
You are indeed looking to start at the highest levels in our hobby. I liken it to wanting to learn to drive a car so you buy a formula 1 race car.
I would strongly encourage you to start a bit slower into the hobby and build something like an Occre Albatross (beginner level) or maybe even the Occre Beagle (intermediate level). If you want to do an admiralty model because you don't want to work with masts and rigging, you can do that with what ever kit you chose to start with. Once you finish the first kit, that will give you a better understanding of your abilities so you can better decide where you want to go next. If after the Albatross you don't like the hobby, you have only wasted a little money as compared to the cost of a nice admiralty model. If you are still after an admiralty model, there are many to chose from.
Thank you! Your reaction is most appreciated and also warranted I am afraid. Absolutely a novice in the way of ships. Unfortunately I am born quite stubborn. And with regard woodwork I fancy my chances ... But I may follow your advise to start with the Beagle for it is a model that would fit with my background as an anthropologist/naturalist in the Pacific area.

Welcome!

There are an amazing amount of videos on you tube that will help you out. Also I think it is very helpful to start out with a simple kit or series of kits like I have. The Model expo people have a great 3 kit collection their model shipwrights collection. You can also buy each kit separately if you wish. As a great bonus if you finish the dory, take a picture of it and send it to them they will give you full credit of the price of you dory for your next buy.

Model Shipways Shipwright 3 Kit Combo Series
I found it a great way to start!

Also I found this book very helpful

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071558675?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

OF course the wonderful people on this forum have literally hundreds of years of experience and expertise, and the form is full of knowledge.

Hi. Recommend starting with a beginner model. There is so much to learn.

Welcome Gosewijn. Patience, patience, patience. Start simple. The model shipways suggestion is a good one. Have fun.

Ditto, just jump right in. I started a few years back with absoluty no build experience and have been enjoying the hobby ever since.
I like your comment for the positive energy. I'll take your advise and jump right in. Maybe I will need some Dutch courage on the way ...

A warm welcome aboard Gosewijn. As a fellow countryman we were born with Dutch courage. Just go for it!
I started my first build several years ago, a scratch build of De 7 Provincien. I still have a few years ahead of me in business so the construction of my model goes slow, but I enjoy every minute of it. Just take your time. Patience and joy are key for succes in this hobby.

A warm welcome aboard Gosewijn. As a fellow countryman we were born with Dutch courage. Just go for it!
I started my first build several years ago, a scratch build of De 7 Provincien. I still have a few years ahead of me in business so the construction of my model goes slow, but I enjoy every minute of it. Just take your time. Patience and joy are key for succes in this hobby.
Thank you very much Herman. I appreciate it! By the way, when starting to get interested in ships models, the repute of De Zeven Provincien had always been on my mind. I am impressed by you taking it on and will follow you with great interest! The painting by John Seymour Lucas 'A new whip for the Dutch' shows the awe in which our navy was held at the time.

Back