• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

I am seeking guidance on which AI model is recommended for modeling boat parts from blueprints, as well as instructions on the workflow leading up to

Joined
Apr 20, 2020
Messages
6,535
Points
738

Hello my dear friends,
As some of you know, for about two years now, I have been building the L'Amarante model using the Ancre monograph.
I am attaching a link to the build log.

I plan to build the two lifeboats soon. Unfortunately, the monograph does not include drawings of all the frames, unlike those provided for the ship's hull.
Below are the drawings of the boats and their various projections.
20260923_161224.jpg20260923_161253.jpg20260923_161344.jpg
Therefore, I intend to experiment with using an AI model (preferably a free one) to generate detailed drawings of the frames and most other boat components—similar in style to the monograph—with a specific focus on the ribs and the keel.
I will then print the AI-generated drawings, scan them into LightBurn software to trace the outlines, and cut/engrave the parts using an Atomstack laser cutter.
Before I rush into the work and lose valuable study time, I would appreciate learning from your experience how to carry out this process effectively, accurately, and efficiently. Please provide detailed guidance on the necessary tools and the correct procedure. Many thanks in advance.
 
I plan to build the two lifeboats soon. Unfortunately, the monograph does not include drawings of all the frames,
The efficient method for boats does not need the frames to be delineated. You start with a stick that is the width and thickness of the internal framing and heat or steam bend it. The hulls are all carvel so there is no notching to worry about.

The stations for the boat are there. Checking for any distortion from your 3in1 scanner/printer - in your drawing program - build a page with a sea of copies of the boat Body plan and print it.

Add some orienting / locator points in the body before you replicate and arrange it.
Bamboo skewers make excellent alignment tools - 3 or 4 are a sure thing.

Fix each station molds plan to a piece of 1/2" plank of clear Pine. In eastern US I would use Yellow Poplar. For a job like this, a hand fretsaw works. If you have a layer of wood or poster board in the spaces between the molds - which makes the whole mold a solid - all is easier. Leave the transom until later and the Bamboo guides can be pulled.
Then the Pine mold segments can be removed individually if your wax and Saran Wrap did not stop the shell from being glued to something not wanted.

If you cannot get wood veneer that is hull planking thickness - see if there is archival cardboard that is. Paint the hull or faux wood paint and who knows that it is paper - besides - paper comes from trees too.


Read:
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/building-a-ships-boat.14490/
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/building-a-pinnace.17541/
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/building-a-cutter.17081/
 
Everything anybody ever needs to know about scale ship modeling is in a book somewhere. There is an excellent book on making scale model small open boats, but it's somewhere in my library at the moment and I can't remember the name to pull it up online. For the moment, this online book should have the necessary techniques in it somewhere. See: https://www.scribd.com/document/825953019/McNarry-D-Shipbuilding-in-Miniature-1955
 
This may be of use, although it is principally for Royal Navy ships' boats. It is published by Chatham Publishing and is still available, used, on Amazon UK but in very limited numbers.

There are tables of scantlings of hull components and rigging details, so this may be of general interest anyway.


Boats of Men of War.jpg


Or this: https://www.scribd.com/document/1020054045/The-Construction-of-Model-Open-Boats. This is also available, used, on Amazon UK again in limited numbers.

Ken
 
Last edited:
You won't get AI to do this for you for free. Doable, but you're going to have to know what you're doing and you'll need to pay for some powerful tools. You'll likely also need to modify what you have when submitting your prompts.

You could take a look a meshy.ai to get an idea of what you can generate with minimal effort. You'll definitely need to paid version to get something useful though.
 
quote
I plan to build the two lifeboats soon. Unfortunately, the monograph does not include drawings of all the frames, unlike those provided for the ship's hull.
Below are the drawings of the boats and their various projections.

Therefore, I intend to experiment with using an AI model (preferably a free one) to generate detailed drawings of the frames and most other boat components—similar in style to the monograph—with a specific focus on the ribs and the keel.
I will then print the AI-generated drawings, scan them into LightBurn software to trace the outlines, and cut/engrave the parts using an Atomstack laser cutter.

Before I rush into the work and lose valuable study time, I would appreciate learning from your experience how to carry out this process effectively, accurately, and efficiently. Please provide detailed guidance on the necessary tools and the correct procedure. Many thanks in advance.


actually everything you need to know is in the drawings the frames are generated in the bodyplan. If i had a good drawing file to trace i could created the frames in less than an hour or show you how to do it
 
Last edited:
Try these, I have no idea if they will work




Rob
 
my dear friends
I would like to thank all the members who have responded to my request so far, as well as those who will yet reply and share their experience with me and all of us.
I am still going through the information and the feedback you’ve provided.
I promise to share my own experiences.
 
Hi shota. Do you have Historic Ship Models Wolfram Zu Mondfeld. On page 196,197 you will have enough information to make boats. Ancre plans are enough. AI won't make you any CAD work
 
Back
Top