I give up

It was better early on when you didnt see it. Your imagination can be scarier than any moviemaker's image. Stephen King knows how to do that in his books!
My guess is they were trying to show the bear through the eyes of the crews as some gigantic, unexplainable and otherworldly monster. To me it just looked ridiculous.

It would seem to a beginner, that some of you are not keen on noob questions ( here we go again with the same ole questions, kit or scratch ) Others seem to welcome noob questions. And it may just be me, but it seems as this forum is for intermediate to expert builders. I have no problem with this if it is stated somewhere in your header. Some of you may say i don’t know how he got that idea, but if one person gets that impression, then there is a basis for that opinion. Thanks for the time, and good luck on the forum, thanks.

I too am a noob. I am currently building a Midwest Peterboro Canoe. I am almost finished planking the frame. Long way to go. When I look at other build logs, mine looks like CRAP, but I am learning. Gaining skills as I make mistakes.
For my next attempt, I bought a Model Shipways Armed Longboat 1/24 scale. $82.00 USD from Amazon.com. It seems to have many challenges & techniques which I wish to learn.
That being said, don't get too frustrated. These people are very good at what they do. Listen, learn & use the info you think will help you.
We are in this together. Good luck Buddy.

I too am a Noob, these expert replies are frustrating. My daughter gave me a Midwest Peterboro canoe about 10 years ago. I started it 3 weeks ago. I am almost finished planking the frame. long way to go. found a bunch of build forums, they help alot. My Canoe still looks like Crap, but I am learning new skills.
For my next attempt at this, I bought a Model Shipways Armed Longboat 1/24 scale from Amazon.com $82.00. it appears to have many skills I wish to learn. Not saying you should buy this model.
Bottom line, don't get to frustrated. Read the forums, glean the info you need & learn all you can. You will get better.
Good luck & stay safe,

I have to agree with most of the suggestions above but the one thing I didn't see mentioned was to pick a subject that you like, something that appeals to your aesthetic sense as you will be spending a lot of time with it and admiring it for a long time to come. Also a couple good reference books like "The Neophyte Jackstay" and "Building First Rate Ship models from Kits" Ben Lankford both available from Model Expo.

I too am a noob. I am currently building a Midwest Peterboro Canoe. I am almost finished planking the frame. Long way to go. When I look at other build logs, mine looks like CRAP, but I am learning. Gaining skills as I make mistakes.
For my next attempt, I bought a Model Shipways Armed Longboat 1/24 scale. $82.00 USD from Amazon.com. It seems to have many challenges & techniques which I wish to learn.
That being said, don't get too frustrated. These people are very good at what they do. Listen, learn & use the info you think will help you.
We are in this together. Good luck Buddy.
Welcome to the forum, and many thanks for your kind words (also to all others posting here in this thread)
Would like to see your new project in a building log, so we can give hints and comments when ever necessary and requested

An interesting thread and my two Eurocents worth:
I belong to the "newbie" group of modellers, building my first historic ship from wood. I started with the Endeavour, which seems to be a leap into the deep end. It is a challenging model and my expectations at the outset were, that as a kit, it would contain a comprehensive set of instructions, but I was to become disappointed. The manufacturer, Occre, sent me some additonal and important drawing (1:1 scaled side view of the complete ship) , which was not included in the kit, but some of the build is still down to guesswork. I was fortunate to find this site, which has been a great help, supporting my tentative steps into the unknown. I have taken a lot of inspiration and ideas from the build logs on this site and transferred these onto my model.
The drawback with taking in so much information is the question I put to myself, am I doing it correctly? This, I feel, could be frustrating for the neewbie.
I have, however, learnt that it is the end result that counts, do not worry if it is not true historically and however inaccurate my model will be when it is finished with its imperfections, it will take pride of place in my home. I am certainly gald to have discovered this fascinating hobby.

Have a good weekend.

I have to agree with most of the suggestions above but the one thing I didn't see mentioned was to pick a subject that you like, something that appeals to your aesthetic sense as you will be spending a lot of time with it and admiring it for a long time to come. Also a couple good reference books like "The Neophyte Jackstay" and "Building First Rate Ship models from Kits" Ben Lankford both available from Model Expo.

I can relate to this and it is what I feel is important.
I didn't reply to the original post for a number of reasons;
Firstly I never built a "starter kit" so I am not in a position to recommend one
No background was given by Glockexe as to any other skill/experience that would be relevant.My own story is that I have been modelling in various forms since I was 7,being introduced/encouraged by my late Father.I studied technical drawing at school and was introduced to CAD/CAM/CNC in it's infancy at college.I have since worked to engineering drawings in my dayjob for the last 30 years.All these are things which give you an advantage but nothing was mentioned by Glockexe.
My first static build was Sergal's Soleil Royal.This goes against what everyone would mention as a starter kit.This was before internet and I only had Keith Julier's first book for reference.I built the model and it took a lot of time and headscratching.I found fault with the kit in that the dummy cannon port positions did not match the overall plan but kept going because I had an overwhelming desire to build THAT vessel.The internet then kicked in and I realised all the faults in the model I had built up to the masting and rigging stage.Also in the years I had been building it my skillset had improved massively.
I still have the model and the original drawings,one day I will remove all the castings and build her again from scratch to Sergal's drawings just to see what I can do with her now.The kit I bought was made in the 90's before the "improvements" made by Mantua.The castings are all solid brass and have superior definition to the brass plated white metal one's in the kit now.I know the kit is historically "dubious" but I don't care,I still love THAT model,historically correct or not.

Kind Regards

Nigel

One problem is I made the case too soon, I had a custom wall unit built just to house the ship, it keeps it clean and un-damages, but I tend to not work on it. The case was a project in its self.

I would hope to be able to do a model of a ship related to the search for a Northwest Passage, either the Terror or the St. Roch, by Billings. I read the stories about the Terror with great interest.
I would hope to be able to do a model of a ship related to the search for a Northwest Passage, either the Terror or the St. Roch, by Billings. I read the stories about the Terror with great interest.
Hi Tangopapa
If you do purchase the HMS Terror kit from Occre expect to be very frustrated! Their customer service is GREAT in replacing broken or unusable pieces, but in Canada it takes 3 weeks at least to receive them. They also do not charge you for them. Thats the good news, the bad news is the quality of the laser cut ply wood keel, bulwark frames. The ply wood warps and or peels layers making sanding and gluing a solid joint very difficult.
I had to get 4 keels and 2 decks to get a non warped piece, also 1 set of bulwark frames due to ply wood layer peeling.
You CAN do the build but it might entail a lot of waiting. I have gotten to the planking stage now but a lot of innovation was necessary and a lot of reading on SOS to solve some of these issues. I added flickering lights in the inside hull and wired for lamps on the masts, email me if you are interested in the same. The model certainly tests your skills and actually helps improve them through the whole innovation and reading SOS pages.
Good luck

Never - we are here to help and hope to get help, learning and sharing - this is our all intention
I'm totally new on this forum so I do not have much personal experience but after reading some threads I certainly have the impression that you guys are very helpful. Even in answers from expert model makers I see no trace of elitist. Even if someone, greatly visually impaired, is challenging himself to scratch build a plank on frame model and keeps making every cut like 2 mm at the wrong side of the lines, there are always people who, with a high degree of patience, keeps trying to help and assist without condescence.

Cheers
Poul

We should be building
  • because we want to do it for ourselves,
  • to enjoy ourselves,
  • to enjoy challenging ourselves and gaining satisfaction from it
  • to enjoy learning new stuff
We shouldn't be doing it to try to impress / gain approval of random internet dudes.
There is absolutely no need to publish a build log. They're like keeping a diary - not so useful at the time, but in the future you can look back and see what you've learned and how the journey went. You can keep it privately on your own computer if you wish, or keep no record at all - it's your choice. Those that choose to publish them do a great service to us who are learning the trade and solving the problems of a particular build. They are a fascinating resource of alternatives that let you choose your own path.

We should be building
  • to enjoy ourselves,
We shouldn't be doing it to try to impress / gain approval of random internet dudes.
There is absolutely no need to publish a build log. They're like keeping a diary - not so useful at the time, but in the future you can look back and see what you've learned and how the journey went. You can keep it privately on your own computer if you wish, or keep no record at all - it's your choice. Those that choose to publish them do a great service to us who are learning the trade and solving the problems of a particular build. They are a fascinating resource of alternatives that let you choose your own path.
and one additional possibility, especially if you do want to make a complete building log.
You can also show your actual project with one or two photos in this topic:

We should be building
  • to enjoy ourselves,

I think there is one aspect you may not have thought of Jimmy.

Many of the builds of the forum take several years.During construction the builder may face many obstacles and as a result may experience a lack of motivation.When you have a log and people follow it,it almost becomes a driving force for the builder that he/she battles on and overcomes any obstacles either on their own,or with assistance from other members.Sometimes having a log can be the difference between a model ending up in the trash or a display cabinet.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back