I need to vent☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

Beware tea and coffee as stains, both are highly acid and not archival. UV will destroy any fiber soaked in them eventually. Experiment with non acid stains. There are even some water based acrylic inks available in brown tones.
As with the shellac as glue question: experiment, make tests, potters spend hundreds of hours making and cataloging test ceramic tiles experimenting with glazes.
Do likewise with adhesives (like shellac to shellac, should work) ,stains, paints etc. Find out what works with what in real time and with real materials. You can happily F*** up a lot of test samples, before you F*** up your model .Do the research. What is archival or not? Google University has a lotta dope.
( Says the guy who's favorite expression is "This outta work!" before diving blind into the deep end...)

Happy modelling, Pete

Great idea Fritz, reminds me of my Mom when she used to make our clothes from patterns. I will look into Muslim as an alternative. If you can imagine when you use the cloth supplied, and expand your vessel to 100% actual scale, you would end up with sails 1/4 in thick. Just try hauling those up and going for a sail around the oceans.

Beware tea and coffee as stains, both are highly acid and not archival. UV will destroy any fiber soaked in them eventually. Experiment with non acid stains. There are even some water based acrylic inks available in brown tones.
As with the shellac as glue question: experiment, make tests, potters spend hundreds of hours making and cataloging test ceramic tiles experimenting with glazes.
Do likewise with adhesives (like shellac to shellac, should work) ,stains, paints etc. Find out what works with what in real time and with real materials. You can happily F*** up a lot of test samples, before you F*** up your model .Do the research. What is archival or not? Google University has a lotta dope.
( Says the guy who's favorite expression is "This outta work!" before diving blind into the deep end...)

Happy modelling, Pete
Hi Peter, would you know if pine tar is acidic? I used real pine tar to stain my cloth sails... not that I'm going to be alive in 100 years to see them rot off the yards.

Pine tar? No idea. Where do you get pine tar ? (I know, I know ...a pine tree...):rolleyes:
What's the process?

First time I heard about this. A fast Google search and found this to start:

Pine tar? No idea. Where do you get pine tar ? (I know, I know ...a pine tree...):rolleyes:
What's the process?
You can buy real pine tar from several suppliers. I bought mine HERE. Pine roots are buried in a small pit, and a fire lit above them for heat, and the sap runs down into an area where it is collected. It's blackish brown and thick, and smells of smoke from the fire. Today it is used as a natural antiseptic for hooves on horses and cows and farm veterinary clinics. If you dilute it with solvent like kerosene, you can use it to stain sail cloth. Historically it was brushed on standing rigging prevent rot and deterioration.

Last edited:
Ok... mistakes are expected...or at least not surprising...in many kits.
I'm a bit surprised but I'm only on second ship build.
I will use tips given here to pick my next build.

Back to rating kits..
Ship name. Kit manufacturer. Size/scale. Rating. Remarks
Whatever Amati. 1/50. ***. Sail print error
next whoever. 1/100. *. Keel warped

keep it simple....just give your opinion.....and a heads up to help next builder!

Writing to Amati and telling them about the mistake would also help. Maybe not you, but a future builder. Kit manufacturers are not General Motors, more than often they are small companies on tight budgets. In the case of Amati I am afraid that they have turned into re-sellers: they have too big a catalog to produce everything themselves.

Después de mucho trabajo en las velas de mi modelo (Amati Hunter Q-ship) me doy cuenta de que la hoja para hacer las velas es incorrecta.
Kit tiene planos para cada vela... ¡Pero una de las velas está mal en comparación con el dibujo superior a escala completa que muestra las velas en el barco! El dibujo de la vela muestra un gran foque volador y otras dos velas del mismo patrón, el foque y el estay de proa.
En el dibujo superior las tres velas son de diferente tamaño??? Así que 1 de cada 3 velas es chatarra.
No quedó material de vela... sin mencionar el tiempo que dediqué a hacer una mala vela. ¿Cómo es posible que un error como ese no haya sido corregido a estas alturas?
La vida tiene estas cosas....

Never over estimate the usefulness of old Italian kit plans and instructions. I'm thinking of Mamoli in particular. You can build wonderful ship models using the components provided but the instructions, still in desperate need of revising. are worse than useless, they will drive you to the point of throwing your project against the wall! The castings are still largely crap as well. Some previous experience in scratch building req'd. I've had good luck with Amati J- class sloops. Still lots of modifying and imagination necessary. I'll send pics with a little help from a friend. I hope.
Hallo @Peter Gutterman
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back to rating kits..
Ship name. Kit manufacturer. Size/scale. Rating. Remarks
Whatever Amati. 1/50. ***. Sail print error
next whoever. 1/100. *. Keel warped

keep it simple....just give your opinion.....and a heads up to help next builder!
If not an obvious error, it seems that a reference to support your opinion/suggestion would be worthwhile.
Terry

Back