I told you so

Full disclosure, this is not my model.

My plastic modeling club IPMS Orange County (California) had their yearly OrangeCon show. I would like to bring to your attention one of the entries that was in the diorama category. This is one of the best examples of a miniature sailing ship I have seen, and the diorama took a first place in the Category.

The title of the diorama is “Idiots...I told you so!

The base model is a 1/350 scale Zvezda snap together kit of Sir Francis Drake's flagship HMS "Revenge". The builder added over 200 scratch-built parts to bring the little ship to life. Note the ratlines are made with .oo1 inch (.254mm) fishing line. He must have trained a spider to make them. The deck cannons are scratch-built and fully rigged. Nothing I could see was out of proportion on the ship.

I’ll post the builders name as soon as my club posts the results from the show.

.309.jpg436.jpg439.jpg442.jpg

I love the idea - and a great build in addition !!!
Many Thanks for sharing with us

0.001inches (one thou) = 0.0254mm

just for the record ...................................... I'm sure you meant 0.01inches

..................... I told you so !! :cool:

My plastic modeling club IPMS Orange County (California) had their yearly OrangeCon show. I would like to bring to your attention one of the entries that was in the diorama category. This is one of the best examples of a miniature sailing ship I have seen, and the diorama took a first place in the Category.

El modelo base es un kit Zvezda a escala 1/350 del buque insignia HMS "Revenge" de Sir Francis Drake . El constructor agregó más de 200 piezas construidas desde cero para dar vida a la pequeña nave. Tenga en cuenta que los ratlines están hechos con hilo de pescar de 0,01 pulgadas (0,254 mm). Debe haber entrenado a una araña para hacerlos. Los cañones de cubierta están construidos desde cero y completamente equipados. Nada de lo que pude ver estaba fuera de proporción en el barco.

Publicaré el nombre de los constructores tan pronto como mi club publique los resultados del programa.

.View attachment 332201View attachment 332202View attachment 332203View attachment 332204
Es una virguería, pero me sobra la cascada

HaHaHa this is brilliant! I am new to this forum and thought my first post would be of one of my builds..but no! There are some brilliantly funny people out there and this post of yours, Jim, has both brought a smile to my face and provided a history lesson for my 12 year old. She and I had a great laugh so thank you to you and to the builder of this diorama.

Thanks for the correction. I misplaced the decimal point the line is .001 inch

Jim
reminds me of an anecdote about the manufacture of tubing. Apparently there was some rivalry about which company could make the smallest diameter tubes and a US company sent a sample of steel tubing to the British company Accles & Pollock, to lay down a challenge saying "we bet you can't beat that". A few months later the US company took delivery of a small parcel and when they opened it they found the tube they had sent previously. They contacted A&P and asked what was going on. A&P suggested they should look inside the tube where they found a smaller one inside.

PS : I really don't believe you can buy fishing line that is only 1 thou thick.

reminds me of an anecdote about the manufacture of tubing. Apparently there was some rivalry about which company could make the smallest diameter tubes and a US company sent a sample of steel tubing to the British company Accles & Pollock, to lay down a challenge saying "we bet you can't beat that". A few months later the US company took delivery of a small parcel and when they opened it they found the tube they had sent previously. They contacted A&P and asked what was going on. A&P suggested they should look inside the tube where they found a smaller one inside.

BUT.....you can find 'fishing line' at .003" diameters. Fly line tippets are very thin.

Screenshot_20221010-092059_Chrome.jpg

the difference between 0.003 and 0.001 diameter is NINE TIMES when considering breaking strength. not really comparable.

back to the original post it would seem that 0.254mm is realistic.

the difference between 0.003 and 0.001 diameter is NINE TIMES when considering breaking strength. not really comparable.

back to the original post it would seem that 0.254mm is realistic.
Just remember, although thicker diameters may be stronger, line materials can and will make a difference. Monofilament (nylon) tests differently than fluourocarbon, or dacron....

Last edited:

I heard this story many years ago during my childhood, only in that version, the tube was glass.

The base model is a 1/350 scale Zvezda snap together kit of Sir Francis Drake's flagship HMS "Revenge". The builder added over 200 scratch-built parts to bring the little ship to life. Note the ratlines are made with .oo1 inch (.254mm) fishing line. He must have trained a spider to make them. The deck cannons are scratch-built and fully rigged. Nothing I could see was out of proportion on the ship.

I’ll post the builders name as soon as my club posts the results from the show.
Hallo @Jim Nunn
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I love it. That was the way it was believed to be.
I note that there is a keen quest for the facts in these threads, so I though I would throw in this snippet: "Around the 5th century BC, it appears in the writings of Greek philosophers that the world was round. In the 3rd century BC, Hellenistic astronomy established the roughly spherical shape of Earth as a physical fact and calculated the Earth's circumference." Columbus was in no danger of sailing into the abyss.

HaHaHa this is brilliant! I am new to this forum and thought my first post would be of one of my builds..but no! There are some brilliantly funny people out there and this post of yours, Jim, has both brought a smile to my face and provided a history lesson for my 12 year old. She and I had a great laugh so thank you to you and to the builder of this diorama.
Hallo @Kiwi
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back