Idea for future group build

How about the Lady Washinton? I know a few of us here have sailed on her, and she is still afloat. I understand she is on the lines of Fair America.

The Admins came up with (I hate to use the word policy as it sounds too corporate). But, lets just say that we think that it is best to have at least 8 to 10 that are willing to have the Group. Then the Group needs to have an on-board Moderator. The other Group Builds have moderators such as Heinrich for the Bluenose, Mike41 for a few models he has designed, and others.

I have always been in favor of Group Builds as this helps build community. However, we really need to stay with the regulations. Do you think you can come up with at least 8 that would be committed?

The Moderator of the Group would be responsible for managing, helping modelers, keeping post on topic, etc, etc. Do you think that you would be willing to Moderate a group like this?

Kindly
Donald

i did a quick search and could not find a kit of the Lady Washington
so this would have to be a model from scratch but i also did not find a set of drawings for a model

to start a group build
1 someone has to do the reserch
2 someone has to draw a set of modeling plans
3 someone has to build the prototype

once all that is done then the ship can be presented as a finished model the plans the parts and then the build log on how to do it.

Last edited:
Rocky Mountain Shipwrights recently set up a group build using the Chinese 12" version of a top sail schooner. We selected it because of its size and price. Our goal was to feature a model all our members - tyros and pros - would find challenging. And this model certainly is, primarily because there are no instructions for planking, masts, spars or rigging. So we are pooling our resources as we go along. The purpose of our group build was primarily as a change of pace and an incentive to get some members to get off their tails and get modeling again. We have 8-10 members on board now.

IMG_3182[1].JPG

IMG_3184.JPG

that is great you should post your groups porject here
in this case perhaps the staff can set up a group build

Rocky Mountain Shipwrights recently set up a group build using the Chinese 12" version of a top sail schooner. We selected it because of its size and price. Our goal was to feature a model all our members - tyros and pros - would find challenging. And this model certainly is, primarily because there are no instructions for planking, masts, spars or rigging. So we are pooling our resources as we go along. The purpose of our group build was primarily as a change of pace and an incentive to get some members to get off their tails and get modeling again. We have 8-10 members on board now.

View attachment 338708

View attachment 338710
I'm a late arrival to the club, so I just started on mine and I'm using it to teach a friend of mine the basics of building. :)

Back