Improvised Thickness sander for small planks

Here is a video of my improvised thickness sander. It just occurred to me I do not need buying expensive thickness sanders when I can use what I already have. I just occasionally need to reduce small plank thickness.

Fantastic !!! Thank you for the idea !!!

Daniel

Here is a video of my improvised thickness sander. It just occurred to me I do not need buying expensive thickness sanders when I can use what I already have. I just occasionally need to reduce small plank thickness.

Will you please put up some closer views or sketches to show how it was improvised and the feed is accomplished? Thanks, Rich (PT-2)

Will you please put up some closer views or sketches
Idea is using any sanding drum against flat hard surface. I use Proxxon rotary tool against side of vice. Tool is mounted in Proxxon drill press. Distance between sanding drum and flat surface controlled with milling machine x-y moving table. Feed is by hand .

Last edited:

Idea is using any sanding drum against flat hard surface. I use Proxxon rotary tool against side of vice. Tool is mounted in Proxxon drill press. Distance between sanding drum and flat surface controlled with milling machine x-y moving table. Feed is by hand .

Thank you YT for such great idea !!!

Guys, On the topic, for those with a spindle sander, have you seen this video. Could be we can also do something similar with our small drums.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

HEY GUYS THIS IS THE ONE I USE HAD IT FOR 2 YEARS, WORKS GREAT, THE SANDING DROUM ARE FANTASTIC, CAN BE USED AS A SPINDEL SANDER 2 FOR THE PRICE OF ONE, IT HAS GONE UP IN PRICE BY ABOUT $50.00 SINCE I GOT MINE, JIM I USE A REGULAR BENCH TYPE DRILL PRESS FROM MENARDS ABOUT $100.00 WHEN I GOT MINE, NOW HAVE THREE POWER TOOLS FOR LESS THEN A BYRNES OR OTHE TYPE OF HOBBY TOOLS, AND IF IT WORKS FOR GUITAR AND VIOLIN MAKERS IT IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME. GOD BLESS ALL STAY SAFE DON