Individual Focus - Single or Multi ship builds?

How do you approach a model ship build?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Happy 2023 to SoS!

Here's a new poll to kick off the New Year.

I'm curious to understand how many of us commence a new model, and actually complete that ship before beginning another project.
Or do you have multiple builds on the go switching between them at various stages of completion to remain fresh and focussed?

Thank you for responding. :)

I got more than 10 models to work on (I didn't finnished anything last year), tanks, planes (civilian and military), ships...

I got more than 10 models to work on (I didn't finnished anything last year), tanks, planes (civilian and military), ships...
Yep, I got three on the go at present and four in the stash, one of which is just begging to be commenced. Some have been in the dock for years, picked up during various specials/sales, etc. I'm semi-retired now, so hoping to get to all of them over coming years. :)

Rather than have multiple ships on the stocks, I prefer to jump around the model and focus on different areas; as one intensive phase becomes fatiguing, I’ll shift over to something else. Usually, I’ll complete each small phase before moving on. I think of these subassemblies as models within the model. I know for myself that I would struggle to finish anything, if I had multiple builds going at once.

If a wooden shipnis my main focus I like to have a smallish plastic kit occasionally to give a change of pace, or if I am a bit stumped by something. Quite often after doing a different mini project I will come back to the main kit with a solution in mind. I just like a change in pace and methods from time to time.

I am very fortunate to have two homes with two garage workspaces, so I have two projects going. Both are frigates. Wooden ship models do not travel well, particularly when incomplete, so bringing one ship to the second home and then back would have been impossible as well as bothersome. The expense of purchasing two kits was a consideration, but the cost of modeling offsets other spending I might do to occupy the same time, so it's a wash. More likely a financial benefit, not that anyone builds 18th century frigates for anything besides the fun of it.

Rather than have multiple ships on the stocks, I prefer to jump around the model and focus on different areas; as one intensive phase becomes fatiguing, I’ll shift over to something else. Usually, I’ll complete each small phase before moving on. I think of these subassemblies as models within the model. I know for myself that I would struggle to finish anything, if I had multiple builds going at once.
I do tend to have a couple of builds on the go, but also do as you do and work sub assemblies within a model to retain focus. Maybe that's why it takes me so long to actually finish anything. :) But, what the hey, it's a hobby and enjoy it.

Like Dave, I have five or so in various states of progress, mostly in the plans study/ research stage. But, I have cut, sanded, fit, and glued wood.
Bill

I love this conversation. Many different approaches based on personality and work habits. No one is wrong because we are all trying to do what is best for ourselves.

I am a linear thinker so I can only work on one thing at a time. I lean into whatever is in front of me and grind it out until it is the best I can do at this stage of my learning/experience. The thought of starting another project or working on something else never occurs to me. Now, I do often need to set something aside for a few days and take a break (typically because I am failing to produce what I set out to do) but I won't start something new - I'll just let my failed attempts simmer until I arrive at a solution.

1 model at a time although I seem to jump around to various assemblies within the build. Plus a plastic 1/350 naval ship as a tranquilizer should the wood ship build reach the "Grrrr" and there's no coffee in the premises.

It really depends on each individual approach and skills to multi-tasking.
Personally I can only focus on one model at a time . It allows me to keep the eye on the ball.
My wife who is an artist always has 4 or 5 paintings, sculptures, tapestry, ... she works on at the same time. Inspiration comes and goes ...

Building for myself it has always been "one ship at a time". However when I was working as a commercial ship modeller it was possible for me to have two or three models of the same vessel going at one time because that was just repetition after the problems for the first one had been solved.

For me most of the time it is two models at a time. If I get frustrated at some point, I will switch over to the other project. Also, if a project is taking too long, I will switch over to the other project for a change of pace. One project will be a major work and the other will be a project of less work. What I am doing throughout a project is looking for the next project. That is sometimes a bigger distraction from the work in progress.

Bill

Back