Introduction CDR M

CDR

Being retired Navy (aviation), and Aerospace engineer, I have decided to give a go at building a wooden ship model. Starting with a real cheap kit as a trial balloon.

I love to build things, and am pretty handy at it, but have never tried a wooden ship model, working with thin plywood. I have scratch build several scale model planes out of balsa, and am finding this thin plywood creates new challenges. Especially this kit, since its too thin to pin pieces in place.

Would love to get an instruction manual for this kit, if any exist.

I would also like to warmly welcome you to the forum and have fun.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Being retired Navy (aviation), and Aerospace engineer, I have decided to give a go at building a wooden ship model. Starting with a real cheap kit as a trial balloon.

I love to build things, and am pretty handy at it, but have never tried a wooden ship model, working with thin plywood. I have scratch build several scale model planes out of balsa, and am finding this thin plywood creates new challenges. Especially this kit, since its too thin to pin pieces in place.

Would love to get an instruction manual for this kit, if any exist.
My suggestion is to set aside the real cheap kit and purchase a better, more complete, not so cheap kit. ModelExpo lists several including a beginners set. My reason is you will only experience frustration with the real cheap kit. You are already heading to the lee shore looking for an instruction set. We don’t want that. Get a better kit and you will have a better go. The cheap kit will bring you up on the lee shore! :)

Reactions: CDR
I agree. I highly suggest Model Expo online ( https://modelexpo-online.com ) I think they still offer several SOLID Hull kits that you do not have to worry about planking.
Model Expo also has their own line of models - Model Ship Ways - which have very good manual / plans / and documentation.

CDR... I too build model ships to escape building satellites. More fun than that job... Welcome...

Back