Introduction from Fort Worth, TX

Greetings all,

I've been lurking at the site for awhile and finally decided that I really should come into the light.

I primarily scratch build destroyers of the Second World War, as after spending 22 years serving on, and around, destroyers I kind of have a thing for them. The picture is my closest to being finished project. Built in 1/144 from plans I have obtained from the national archives is the USS Stevens DD-479 as she appeared in May 1943 while she carried an aircraft catapult and recovery crane. One of those experiments that didn't work out.

I am reasonably versatile in several different CAD platforms and do 3d printing. Recently picked up a diode laser that I'm learning to use.

Love the look of the old tall ships, and am finding a particular attraction to the Baltimore Schooners. Have one of those Chinese cheapie kits that I am considering really attempting having been following the active builds going on.

Well, that's me in a nutshell.

Bruce

Update 10.05.2023.jpg

Greetings all,

I've been lurking at the site for awhile and finally decided that I really should come into the light.

I primarily scratch build destroyers of the Second World War, as after spending 22 years serving on, and around, destroyers I kind of have a thing for them. The picture is my closest to being finished project. Built in 1/144 from plans I have obtained from the national archives is the USS Stevens DD-479 as she appeared in May 1943 while she carried an aircraft catapult and recovery crane. One of those experiments that didn't work out.

I am reasonably versatile in several different CAD platforms and do 3d printing. Recently picked up a diode laser that I'm learning to use.

Love the look of the old tall ships, and am finding a particular attraction to the Baltimore Schooners. Have one of those Chinese cheapie kits that I am considering really attempting having been following the active builds going on.

Bruce

View attachment 427263
Welcome aboard

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
This model is looking very good - hope to see much much more of your work - maybe in a building log
Great to have you on board

Convincing model building
Some more photos of the whole ship, but also the details, would be very welcome!

Hi. I’m very impressed by the able bodied seamen second level above the deck. If that’s 3d printing you got it down.

Greetings all,

Bruce

View attachment 427263
Greetings and welcome, fellow Fort Worth resident. Far South side off of Granbury Road in Summer Creek, for me.
John

Greetings again all, thanks to all for your encouraging comments.

MisterCA, yes, the crew are 3d printed. I have been playing with a tool called Daz3d. Pretty steep learning curve, but I'm getting there. I like to add figures to the models as most observers of the model, or any older ship subject, have no idea of the size, this is especially true of long gone subjects. So, a few well placed vignettes gives the viewers a point of reference. Stevens already has 4 crewmen permanetly placed; I'm thinking I'll probably add another 4-5 figures.

John, hello neighbor. I'm in North Fort Worth, couple of miles south of Alliance Airport.

Kaleu NW, at this point a build log is kind of out of the question as its almost finished. When I finish it up, I'll see about posting up more pictures. Perhaps, I will start a build log of the other destroyer in the yards, a Sims Class DD, USS Walke DD-416.

Bruce

internet crew.jpg

Back