Introduction

Hello, thanks for the welcome.

My project is to build the Mary Rose, Jotika kit. When I opened the box the advised degree of difficulty led me to start with something less demanding, so I built the Amati Rainbow - which went very well.

I’m first planking MR - significantly more challenging than the Rainbow - but Dressel’s book is helpful.

I would find a glossary useful - to get the basics of bulwarks, bulkheads, and garboard strakes clear in my head. Any suggestion of a book?

Hello Akc1, and welcome aboard SOS! We are glad you find us. IMHO, the great book full of the glossary as well as practical help is book by Jim Roberts Planking the Built Up Ship Model It is tiny, and priced between 10 ~ 15 dollars, but invaluable for the planking techniques to learn

9789993657040.jpg

Hi, welcome aboard!!

Here is the Royal James link

I would find a glossary useful - to get the basics of bulwarks, bulkheads, and garboard strakes clear in my head. Any suggestion of a book?

you can start here

Glossary of Shipbuilding Terms

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases

The following pages are a glossary of shipbuilding terms from United States Shipping Board Emergency Fleet Corporation publication The Building of a Wooden Ship by Charles G. Davis (1918), a long out-of-print book that can still be found in libraries or used bookstores specializing in history. Google has also digitized it, so you can find online. These definitions will be very handy when reading the works of such authors as Davis, Howard I. Chapelle, V.R. Grimwood, and others I will reference in this blog. In some cases, I have added further clarification to a definition in the form of editor’s notes. These are in italic, contained in parentheses, and attribute the modern author of the clarification.

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “A”

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “B”

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “C”

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “D”

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “E” & “F”

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “G” & “H”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “I,” “J” & “K”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “L”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “M”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “N”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “O,” “P” & “Q”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “R”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “S”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “T”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “U” – “Z”

First Welcome aboard SOS, you will find this forum SIMPLY THE BEST, some of the TOP MASTERS OF MODEL SHIP BUILDING ON THIS SITE, and all will answer your questions, I TOO USE THE BOOK BY JIM ROBERTS GREAT FOR PLANKING, TO ME THE BEST BOOK ON HOW TO PLANK. Don

Hello Akc1, and welcome aboard SOS! We are glad you find us. IMHO, the great book full of the glossary as well as practical help is book by Jim Roberts Planking the Built Up Ship Model It is tiny, and priced between 10 ~ 15 dollars, but invaluable for the planking techniques to learn

Many thanks, both - I’ll search for this book.

Al

Last edited by a moderator:

you can start here

Glossary of Shipbuilding Terms

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases

The following pages are a glossary of shipbuilding terms from United States Shipping Board Emergency Fleet Corporation publication The Building of a Wooden Ship by Charles G. Davis (1918), a long out-of-print book that can still be found in libraries or used bookstores specializing in history. Google has also digitized it, so you can find online. These definitions will be very handy when reading the works of such authors as Davis, Howard I. Chapelle, V.R. Grimwood, and others I will reference in this blog. In some cases, I have added further clarification to a definition in the form of editor’s notes. These are in italic, contained in parentheses, and attribute the modern author of the clarification.

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “A”

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “B”

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “C”

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “D”

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “E” & “F”

Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “G” & “H”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “I,” “J” & “K”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “L”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “M”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “N”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “O,” “P” & “Q”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “R”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “S”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “T”
Shipbuilding Terms and Phrases “U” – “Z”

Thanks - i’ll Certainly bookmark this

Al

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
I am looking forward that you start a building log of your Mary Rose - In this way you can show your work and progress and we are able to help and assist you, when ever necessary and requested,

Welcome to SOS Al, as you can see, help will come quickly if anyone has answers to your questions, good luck.

My project is to build the Mary Rose, Jotika kit. When I opened the box the advised degree of difficulty led me to start with something less demanding, so I built the Amati Rainbow - which went very well.

I’m first planking MR - significantly more challenging than the Rainbow - but Dressel’s book is helpful.

Hallo @AKC1
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @AKC1 - one more year .....
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back