It doesn't matter if it is historical correct as long as we are not offending anyone

It has nothing to do with Hippocampus or Hounds but I 've just heard something ridiculous in the Danish News. I would have said hilarius if it wasn't so tragical. I don't know if it all started with the #MeToo movement but clearly identity politics has become extremly fashionable over the last few years. Every single day many books and history is rewritten because one or two people, claiming to represent this or that minority, feels offended by this or that.

Today News reports that one of the Danish maritime museums in the city Elsinore are now changing their exhibition (Maybe you know Elsinore from another tradegy, Shakespeare's Hamlet. Or maybe in this particular forum Elsinore is best known for the 'Sound Dues'. All foreign ships passing through the strait, whether en route to or from Denmark or not, had to stop in Elsinore and pay a toll to the Danish Crown. This toll actually constituted to 2/3 of Denmark's state income in the 16th and 17th centuries. If a ship refused to stop, cannons in Elsinore would open fire and sink it) The museum's exhibition was more or less telling a story about Danish Sailors as men with a lot of tatoos and a girl in every port. The museum is now giving in for some people who claims the exhibition is offending because the tatoos as well as the story are sexistic.

Personally I couldn't care less if it is sexistic or not. It is history and the truth (even the last Danish King was a sailor and had a lot of sailor tatoos). So now we can take our children to the museum and give them a totally wrong perception of the Danish sailors from the last couple of centuries. They will come to believe that sailors was a bunch of metrosexual sissies wearing mascara and avoiding any work that could make their clothes dirty.

Last edited:
I thought Elsinore was a classic Honda dirt bike.. :rolleyes:
But it is :) Actually the name of the city in Danish is Helsingør but English speaking Gentlemen calls it Elsinore. Elsinore is also a neighborghood in Edmonton, Canada and a community in Ontario and a town in Utah besides a city in Califonia (Lake Elsinore) and . . . .

I just want to know why I feel compelled to repeatadly click on the newspaper icon thinking its going to take me somewhere........

I really wish people in this world would grow up and stop being so butt hurt with everything that goes on. In 20 years nobody's gonna
care that that a certain person or groups feelings were hurt. Grow up and sound off like ya got a pair already..... Unless ya dont, then lay down and
shut up! ( Not directed at anyone here, just in general ya know ). I think we need to bring back the stocks for these mamby pamby "Oh dont say that,
it's wrong for YOU to have your own opinions" groups in the world.

TO ME I DO GIVE A S--- AS HISTORICALLY CORRECT OR NOT MY BEEF IS STRICKLEY PEOPLE WHO WILL NOT LET PEOPLE ALONE, COMMENTS THAT DO NOT DO ANYTHING BUT CAUSE DISENSION IN SOS AND WHO BENEFITS FROM THIS DISENTION, STAY WHERE YOU BELONG DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT CAUSE PROBLEMS HERE YOU DO FANTATSTIC IN YOUR LITTLE WORLD STAY THERE PLEASE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

I looked it up, and this seems pretty tame. As one Danish article (mostly behind a paywall) explains the changes-
"It is not the past we change, but the way we talk about it"/
Det er ikke fortiden, vi ændrer, men måden, vi taler om den på
And a free article in Danish is at:
Google translate will get you close to almost whatever language you are most comfortable with. History has a lot of voices, and they are all worth hearing. Some were a lot louder in the recent past so let's get some more balance. No one is pushing the "history eraser" button, but maybe some of your favorite stories leaned a little to one side. Just something to think about.

No one is pushing the "history eraser" button
I think it is impossible to actually "erase history" especially in this modern age of information storage. But I also think it is wrong to tear down statues, momuments, and damage public property just because history is painful to certain identity groups. It reminds me of a child throwing a tantrum for not getting his way. Violence begets violence and accomplishes little. As a "human race" we should strive to evolve beyond that. Just my thoughts....

I looked it up, and this seems pretty tame. As one Danish article (mostly behind a paywall) explains the changes-
"It is not the past we change, but the way we talk about it"/
Det er ikke fortiden, vi ændrer, men måden, vi taler om den på
And a free article in Danish is at:
Google translate will get you close to almost whatever language you are most comfortable with. History has a lot of voices, and they are all worth hearing. Some were a lot louder in the recent past so let's get some more balance. No one is pushing the "history eraser" button, but maybe some of your favorite stories leaned a little to one side. Just something to think about.
You are right pebbleworm, when painting a picture of history the painting should not be overly dominated by just one color. But in the actual case it seems as if they rather are trying to hide one particular color (a color which were indeed very much present) just because a few people are getting tinnitus in their eyes looking at it.

One of the most fashionable places in Copenhagen, Nyhavn, is today merely restaurants, one more posh than the other, but just 50 years ago it was nothing but tattoo shops, whore houses and bars, and the people on the street was not tourists but merely drunken sailors and prostitutes. I'm old enough to remember this. Some people finds prostitution sexistic but prostitution was (still is) part of life, whether we try to hide it or not.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but the Danish articles you have found seems to be based on interviews with the management of the museum. Of course they are trying their best to justify and defend their kowtowing.

I posted the museum case in this forum only because it is a maritime museum and thereby of relevance, but actually the museum case is just a drop in the ocean. What annoys me is the constant kowtowing and bow to criticism from very few people who for whatever reason feels offended. It's a similar drop in the ocean as when the leading professor of Copenhagen Business School gives a formal apology for a song during a morning meeting at the university. The apology was given because one female researcher felt excluded by one specific line in the song (translated): 'The Danish song is a young blonde girl'. Beside of the apology, this fine old traditional song also became black listed at the University's repertoire. There are hundred of similar examples. The culture of offense has come out of control. You don't have to agree but IMO it can't be right that a single person who (for more or less ridiculous reasons) feels offended can insist on all others to shot up. Even worse is it that our public institutions bow to such demands.

Last edited:
I think it is impossible to actually "erase history" especially in this modern age of information storage. But I also think it is wrong to tear down statues, momuments, and damage public property just because history is painful to certain identity groups. It reminds me of a child throwing a tantrum for not getting his way. Violence begets violence and accomplishes little. As a "human race" we should strive to evolve beyond that. Just my thoughts....

it is not the monument or statue itself it is people using it as a totem and that is where the danger is. You do not allow a child to play with a gun and hope the child figures out it is dangerous before it come to a tragic end. Same with there things people use as a totem you have to take it away because they are to child like and headed for a tragic end.

Judging past events by current criteria is nonsense.
Actions must be judged according to the moral criteria of the time when they took place.
Worse, it leads to a misinterpretation of history.
If I take the example of the very detestable period of the colonisation of Africa by France in the 19th century, you should know that it was motivated by good feelings ....
The justification of the time was to bring the benefits of civilization to "underdeveloped" peoples like Rome had civilized Gaul.
This is difficult to hear with today's criteria, but I guarantee you that the French at the time, in their immense majority, thought so.
I am not naive, I know very well that there was a minority of profiteers ready to do anything to get rich, but this was not the case for the immense majority.
Also, claiming that the colonizers were all filthy bastards is a historical error, which does not exclude the fact that there were indeed filthy bastards...

The facts are what they are, it's up to us to present them as they are, even if we have to explain the context, but especially not by evading one side to arrange this or that pressure group.

Hello PoulD;

tieratus;

I like your post!!!
It reminds me of too much to write about, shortly .

I remember all the older men, when I was younger ; there attitudes , what they said , how they conducted them self's, much more.

History is to remember, to study, to learn from,as it was or happened , and even to do better, so as not to make mistakes [ there is a saying we all know]

As those men would say [in short] " the dumb die young". In time this will pass. I am in the USA. And we do not let the stupid take over for long,

there are many ways it can go . History-- remember--- study ---or repeat it .

As I see it, the young have not been aloud to know history . Instead have been given an alternative history . And have been brainwashed- lied-to .
And much more!!! Not good at all!!

Fear not !! If it gets too bad --- history repeats.. --- And that can be, very , very bad.
But back to fear not . It will work out { us --god --- karma-- THE NORTH WIND }

''What did they say'' Those who know ,do not live in fear but, have knowledge as to act .

I believe ,in the U.S. we will get are monuments back.

But here in-- Arizona U.S.A.-- as we say in Arizona the heat will burn it out of them --It is to hot for them-- 100- 122 plus
I worked construction a long, long time in this heat. Trouble makers leave, it is too hot for them here.

As always Thank You ;
tieratus

Here in Holland it is even worse.
The city of Amsterdam apologizes to our colored inhabitants for our history of slavery.
In my opinion it is ridiculous if innocent people apologize for things they did not do to people who did not suffer from it.
We have a history. Both good and bad things happened, but there is no way to change anything. Let's learn from it.

Back