James Caird

I am about to start this build mainly because of the scale and little rigging involved. Due to my age(82) my rigging skills are not what they used to be. It was either that or quitting which I am not willing to do. Has anyone built this kit already? I am in the research stage right now as the kit unfortunately has some inaccuracies.

I am about to start this build mainly because of the scale and little rigging involved. Due to my age(82) my rigging skills are not what they used to be. It was either that or quitting which I am not willing to do. Has anyone built this kit already? I am in the research stage right now as the kit unfortunately has some inaccuracies.
deleted...

Last edited:
I am looking forward to see your work on the model.....
most important - have a lot of fun :cool:

I know what you are talking about since I too am still building models at 83. My solution to the rigging problem was to build schooners with about the same amount of rigging as the Caird. It as worked for me and I think you are on the right track. Good luck.

I would be interested to know the make and scale. Also if the kit purports to be the boat before or after modifications made for its incredible journey to South Georgia.
Alfred Lancing's book "Endurance" gives some details of the various modifications that Shackleton made to the James Caird. The boat that landed on South Georgia was very different to the one that left London on the Endurance.
The book also contains a few photos showing the James Caird at different times throughout the expedition.
Good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

I will be following your build as well. I made a scratch-built model of the James Caird a few years ago, and did a lot of research along the way so I could get the details right. It is a very historic boat that made a remarkable journey, and one worth modeling.

james
Maine

I would be interested to know the make and scale. Also if the kit purports to be the boat before or after modifications made for its incredible journey to South Georgia.
Alfred Lancing's book "Endurance" gives some details of the various modifications that Shackleton made to the James Caird. The boat that landed on South Georgia was very different to the one that left London on the Endurance.
The book also contains a few photos showing the James Caird at different times throughout the expedition.
Good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing some photos.
Available here

John,

I had a lot of ideas about how to portray the James Caird when I started my project. One of them was an open-sided model like the new kit; another was a half-model mounted on a one-way mirror that would allow the viewer to see the interior from the back; another was a model that could be opened somehow to reveal the interior; yet another was a pair of models, one showing the lifeboat as it looked on the Endurance on the way south and the other showing the same boat after all of the modifications by Shackleton and McNeish. I settled on a model with an open, partially canvassed deck, because I wanted to build a fully planked hull yet still show the interior. The three strakes of planking added by McNeish were different from the planking of the original boat, with partial ribs added to support these new planks, and I tried to show that in my model. I don’t think the kit, which was not available when I was planning my model, incorporates anything like this. Good luck with your build, I predict some kit-bashing might occur!

james

Mine is on its way. Should be here mid-January. I am still doing research. Any help would be appreciated. I too am planning a partially open deck. Merry Christmas !

Back