JET JBOS-5 Oscillating Spindle Sander - my new toy

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Some days ago I received my new "tool-toy". It is the Jet JBOS-5 Spindle sander.
In the following I want to show you this interesting tool, today the important figures and the delivered content
and in the following some experience using this tool during my built of the La Salamandre

It is a versatile table sander with oscillating bobbin / spindle.
Fully tilting table, cast iron, which can be tilted up to 45°
Toral weight of sander plus spindles is 35 kg, so realy heavy.
supplied with the biggest spindle of 50 mm, 38 mm, 16mm, 12 mm and the smallest one with only 6mm, heigth is 15 cm
-> This flexibility and the possibility of such small diameters was the main point, why I choosed this sander.
A 76 mm spindle is available from Jet, but not included in the basic deal.
The oscillation is 22 mm, so reduction of the friction heat to protect wood and prolong the sleeve life. 30 oscillations per min.
I have the 230V version, but there is also a 110 V version available.
Table height is 47 cm, table size is 37 by 37 cm
There are 4 changing inlets for the table, depending on the size of spindle and the tilting angle of the table.
All the spindles and the inserts can be stored on the sides of the sander.
And the sander is very silent, another reason for choosing this sander.
The tool is standing on four non-skid rubber feet, keeping the mashine stable with very small vivrations.

Now the first photos of the unpacking....a little bit like Christmas

IMG_1728.JPGIMG_1729.JPG

The complete content of the sander
IMG_1730.JPG

The five spindles with the different sizes
IMG_1731.JPG

The four different table inserts
IMG_1732.JPG

Working with the spindle sander I realized one additional point, which could / should be a reason for buying a specific spindle sander.
When I sanded the frames which are very close to the bow the width of the frames is getting smaller (this is clear)
and in addition the angle of the fairing is getting bigger.
See the situation on the photo

First of all it is important that the other inner side of the frame (on the photo on the right) is not touching the spindle, otherwise you get some not wanted sanding marks.
If you want to use the spindle sander for such frames it is very important, that the spindle is long enough.
Mine is 15 cm, but there are spindle sanders on the market with only 11 cm, so the inner sides of some frames can not be sanded with a short spindle.

Also important is the availability of spindles with small diameter, in order to sand also small curves of the inner sides of frames.

Back