Jib sails

I’m building the USS Constitution. I’ve looked at a lot of sails being made, but I can’t seem to find much on jibs. I don’t have a problem making or attaching them, but how do you bring them up or down. My instructions just showed them attached to the stays. They don’t show how they are raised or lowered. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

One place to start, this book has basic ship features across several centuries. Here is an example regarding staysails. It's only $23.00 USD on Amazon. Search for specific sources on USS Constitution, but many books lack the basics and the pictures that this book has.

Historic Ship Models on Amazon.com

View attachment 178635

View attachment 178634

View attachment 178633
I see that you have found diagrams for the halyard uphaul and down hauls so at least some of your quest is in hand. The next step will be where the falls lead and terminate. If you don't find a book or reference you may have to use your own thinking coordinated with the other falls and pin rails. Not much help from me but I am sure that other SoS crew will be more precise.
PT-2

Some here who has built USS Constitution may be able to provide rigging tables or diagrams. I don't have any specific information on USS Constitution. Perhaps the Revell plastic kit might have decent rigging instructions.

One place to start, this book has basic ship features across several centuries. Here is an example regarding staysails. It's only $23.00 USD on Amazon. Search for specific sources on USS Constitution, but many books lack the basics and the pictures that this book has.

Historic Ship Models on Amazon.com

View attachment 178635

View attachment 178634

View attachment 178633
Thanks for the info. I never saw this post for some reason. Appreciate it, Kurt!

Or maybe I didn't know what I was looking at.
Good example of an unknown knowable. . . my challenge is unknown unknowns which may become evident in the future. This type of resource linking is a major benefit of SoS. Rich

I’m building the USS Constitution. I’ve looked at a lot of sails being made, but I can’t seem to find much on jibs. I don’t have a problem making or attaching them, but how do you bring them up or down. My instructions just showed them attached to the stays. They don’t show how they are raised or lowered. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
In adding to the library collection previously posted you may also consider, if you don't have them, The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625 - 1860 by James Lee, and The Art of Ship Modeling, by Bernard Frolich, also The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor or a key to the leading of rigging and to practical seamanship, by Darcy Lever, somewhat more focused is The Global Schooner, origins, development, design and construction 1695-1845, by Karl Heinz Marquardt. and lastly both historical development with a large number of scantlings for schooners across the years included and very detailed drawings of the rigging components is The American Fishing Schooners 1825-1935, by Howard I. Chapelle. We never know where we may be able to find what we are looking for so the more resources available the better. . . as long as we don't bankrupt the venture. Rich (PT-2)

I have not. What is the title to Google it up?

Maybe RC Anderson will not fit so good, because gie book is called: "Seventeenth century rigging", so I guess, that the Constitution is too young.

Have you tried to contact the USS Constitution Museum in Boston?
This said, I would think that the tackle for the jibs and staysails must be pretty standard: up / down haul halyard at the peak of the sail traveling up along the stay to the mast and down to be belayed to one of the pins on the bitts at the foot of the corresponding mast. Then the lower end tackle (sheet / tack) belayed to the side on a timberhead or cleat.
G

Have you tried to contact the USS Constitution Museum in Boston?
This said, I would think that the tackle for the jibs and staysails must be pretty standard: up / down haul halyard at the peak of the sail traveling up along the stay to the mast and down to be belayed to one of the pins on the bitts at the foot of the corresponding mast. Then the lower end tackle (sheet / tack) belayed to the side on a timberhead or cleat.
G
That's what I ended up doing, just in a rudimentary way. This is an older thread. I've learned a lot since then. I'm still learning.

Back