Jim's 17" Canoe Swiss Pearwood

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

This will be my build log of 17" Canoe. I choose a bit shorter version for no obvious reasons. Sometimes I am wondering about the decisions I've made.

I have requested my timber kit (in Pear), and while waiting for order\delivery, started the actual build by cutting out formers (bulkheads). I have a leftover stash of Midwest's 3mm plywood. The paper templates glued using contact cement. Using the coping saw, formers were released from plywood stock. One (1) millimeter left outside the line of the former for the final shape. The final shape made using a disk sander and sanding stick.

Bulkhead\formers paper pattern was glued on the 3mm plywood

IMG_1447.JPEG

IMG_1459.JPEG

I use UHU brand contact cement to glue paper templates

IMG_1460.JPEG IMG_1461.JPEG

Formers cut out using the coping saw, to make sure formers correctly align against centerline I cut the notch for the centerline strip made out of defective black hornbeam.

IMG_1462.JPEG

IMG_1463.JPEG

...the half of the formers glued to the baseboard using PVA and drop of CA

IMG_1464.JPEG

IMG_1465.JPEG

IMG_1466.JPEG

IMG_1467.JPEG

will make another half this evening. Thank you for the interest!

Last edited:
All formers have been glued in their corresponding places on the baseboard.

IMG_1469.jpeg

As per the manual, both stem pieces where shaped at their outer edges so they are ready to accept planking. Because the formers are made out of plywood, I use my sanding stick instead of a knife (as per manual)

IMG_1468.jpeg

Now I will have to wait for my planking arrival, until then... so long, Thank you for your interest.

Back