Just joined neophyte here in New Hampshire, US

Wow, looking forward to participating within this wonderful site. Brief bio, old fart at 77, retired engineer that had to abandon furniture making hobby due to age related cervical neuropathy. Decided I wanted to build scale model sailing ships years ago as an adolescent visiting the Peabody Museum in Salem MA (now Peabody Essex Museum).

So how far along am I today? Just finished my work station bench setup in our family room. It had to resemble somewhat of a piece of furniture to secure wife's blessing moving forward. Once into this site , I'll post some pics, it's practical, rock solid and a thing of beauty in my eyes. So now deciding to build a Bluenose for my first project. Been looking at the Model-Shipways kit or considering taking a deep dive into a scratch POF based on P. Eisnor's drawings. Though I understand most of the relevant practices, I lack execution experience. These days, a lot of time to read forward, practice and physically engage when hand strength isn't a limiting factor.

Working career taught me never to scrimp on tooling and fixtures, so been amassing tools from Byrnes, Veritas (check out the miniature hand tool offerings), and a host of other detail small stuff.

Knowledge I need to gain ranges from vocabulary/terms, planking/bending practice, and in general much how to do at an advanced craftsman level. Even at this age, some head space is still present (?), along with a lot of ambition and perseverance ready to engage.

Looking forward to learning and gaining much valued guidance from you guys!

TKS, newbie tooter

We are glad to have you aboard SOS, Welcome, Tooter!

So now deciding to build a Bluenose for my first project. Been looking at the Model-Shipways kit or considering taking a deep dive into a scratch POF based on P. Eisnor's drawings. Though I understand most of the relevant practices, I lack execution experience. These days, a lot of time to read forward, practice and physically engage when hand strength isn't a limiting factor.
Maybe you will consider POF Bluenose from YQ models. We have a dedicated build log from The kit review to the actual BN builds by our members. Those are invaluable resources for any BM build. Check it out

Jimsky,

Yowser, this looks good. It takes out the tedium of lofting/tracing/cutting out hundreds of parts by hand/machine. Can't better CNC accuracy if CAD model is correct. Next need to figure out how/where to order?

Jimsky,

Yowser, this looks good. It takes out the tedium of lofting/tracing/cutting out hundreds of parts by hand/machine. Can't better CNC accuracy if CAD model is correct. Next need to figure out how/where to order?
Contact in PM to Heinrich @Heinrich. I tagged him in this reply. He will guide and explain to you before you will make a decision and ready for purchase. :cool:

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum

I live near by Nashua, NH. If one day you would like to meet let me know.

Best
Daniel

Wow, looking forward to participating within this wonderful site. Brief bio, old fart at 77, retired engineer that had to abandon furniture making hobby due to age related cervical neuropathy. Decided I wanted to build scale model sailing ships years ago as an adolescent visiting the Peabody Museum in Salem MA (now Peabody Essex Museum).

So how far along am I today? Just finished my work station bench setup in our family room. It had to resemble somewhat of a piece of furniture to secure wife's blessing moving forward. Once into this site , I'll post some pics, it's practical, rock solid and a thing of beauty in my eyes. So now deciding to build a Bluenose for my first project. Been looking at the Model-Shipways kit or considering taking a deep dive into a scratch POF based on P. Eisnor's drawings. Though I understand most of the relevant practices, I lack execution experience. These days, a lot of time to read forward, practice and physically engage when hand strength isn't a limiting factor.

Working career taught me never to scrimp on tooling and fixtures, so been amassing tools from Byrnes, Veritas (check out the miniature hand tool offerings), and a host of other detail small stuff.

Knowledge I need to gain ranges from vocabulary/terms, planking/bending practice, and in general much how to do at an advanced craftsman level. Even at this age, some head space is still present (?), along with a lot of ambition and perseverance ready to engage.

TKS, newbie tooter
Hallo
sorry for the delay - we wish you all the BEST and belayed Happy Birthday
Birthday-Cake

TKS, newbie tooter
Hallo @tooter
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

. As you can see from the responses you hsve gotten so far you will have no shortage of help when you need it. If you are interested i have over 100 videos on various models i have built over the years. The early ones are a bit simple but they did get better over time. Currently i have 99 videos covering the HMS Thorn a Swan class ship following a 4 book practium by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert. These books have become my go to reference source for anything in ship modeling. i say this as a warning having collected over 100 books in my library that i never reference.

Welcome to our wonderful hobby
kevin

Back