Just returned my Huanyu Table saw. Unsafe

Here is the review I posted on Amazon for this saw:
------------
I rarely write bad reviews. I feel compelled to do it in this case. Below I explain why I reluctantly arrived at the one star rating.

The saw has two component, the actual saw and the power supply.

Since the power supply is the most dangerous part I will discuss that first. As seen in the picture, both the 12 Volt and the 120 Volt screw terminals are un protected accidental shorts could easily occur. More seriously the 120 Volt connection has no stress relief. The cable could easily be ripped out and cause a short or electrical shock. I believe that the absence of stress relief is agains most codes. My guess is that the vendor is using an off the shelf generic power supply that is designed to be placed inside a secure enclosure.

The saw unit would be very nice if a few tweaks were made:
1. Cheap wing-nuts are used to secure the fence. More substantive nuts would enhance usability.
2. Sawdust exits through a hole on the side. A fixture for attaching a vacuum cleaner hose would be helpful.
3. The saw has rubber feet. These do not keep the saw for wandering when in use. A way to secure the saw to the workbench would be helpful.
4. The connection to the 12 Volt power supply is in front of the unit next to the on/off switch. Placing it in the back would be much less intrusive.
5. The 12 Volt connection uses a standard 120 Volt plug. Accidentally connecting a 120 Volt cable would fry the motor.
6. There is a hole on the side that provides unprotected access to the internal electrical components. Not safe.

With some simple tweaks, this could have been great little saw, as it is it is a dangerous device. None of the problems with the machine would be difficult to fix, and I have the impression that the designers never saw the issues at they never. used the saw in a shop setting. I really wanted to like this saw, instead I am returning it.
------
So now I am looking for another saw. Any suggestions?

saw-5.jpgsaw-2.jpgsaw-3.jpgsaw-4.jpgsaw.jpg

So now I am looking for another saw. Any suggestions?
Great review, Arent, and thanks for the warnings and concerns. As for the saw suggestion, there are not too many options. I guess it will depend on the sawing work you plan to do, and the budget you have to spend.

• MicroLux brand has few versions: Mini Tilt Arbor Table Saw and Miniature Table Saw
  • Proxxon also has few variants of their products: FET and KS series
  • Byrness Model machine

Huanyu Table saw​

It is good to see also the complete saw, that you are recognising her

I guess it is this one, or?

714CRKqvrbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Interesting, that they see this kind of electric installation more positive - on amazon, they make advertisment with this photo
9140OIPhh4S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

There is something to be said about the standard of the Byrnes' saw. Yes it's expensive, but what price quality ?...and it's a pleasure to work with. I have never felt has relaxed as I do the Byrnes, know even before the blade starts spinning that the piece I am working on will come out right first time with no mistakes.

I agree with Sarge. I have had a Byrnes table saw for several years (as well as his excellent drum thickness sander) and upgraded to a larger table that he offers. The blade doesn't tilt on the Byrnes like the built in tilt of the MicroLux but Brynes does offer a tilt option which can be attached to the table. We need someone to issue new versions of the Anker lathe duplicator and Preac table saw designed specifically with modellers in mind. The Preac (if you can still find the occasional one on Ebay) has a lot of great options but is underpowered which is why I upgraded mine with a more robust motor offered by Ships Ahoy Models, Saugus, MA.

In the US, and pretty much only in the US there are still a lot of cast iron tilting table bench saws from the 1930's to 1950's hiding away. With a separate motor and small size they are unloved now but can be brought into shape with a little work. Scour craigslist searching for "cast iron saw", "dunlop saw" "companion saw" and similar and one will turn up, or ask at
Here is a post from a few years ago on mine and it is still going strong:

Last edited:
Back