Keel Clamp (Home Made)

Here's a little keel clamp I whipped up for my "Independence" build. The base is 3/4" plywood, and the rest is 1/2" hard maple, but any hardwood would do. I had all the hardware on hand, but if you buy the fancy star knobs etc, the hardware should cost about $20. If you use thumbscrews and wing nuts, you could build the clamp for less than $5.00 plus the cost of the wood.

Download the .pdf below for complete plans and building instructions.

1.jpg

Plans and instruction:

Attachments

• Doc's Keel Clamp.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 121
Nice work Dave, what program did you use for the drawings?

Hey Mike! Actually Mike S converted my hand drawn plans to the .pdf. His help was invaluable. BTW what do you think of this addition to the Forum list. We plan to put plans, practicums and projects of all kinds here!

Hi Dave, it looks like you posted the Keel Clamp in the Tools, Lathes, Mills, Jigs and Techniques forum.

I think that forum is a little too all inclusive, it would be better to move the jigs to a new forum for Plans, Practicums and Building Accessories. It could include links to existing build logs with photos where the Jig or devise is being used, the same could be done for plans and practicums.

It would give Donnie something to do in his spare time.

Hi Dave, it looks like you posted the Keel Clamp in the Tools, Lathes, Mills, Jigs and Techniques forum.

I think that forum is a little too all inclusive, it would be better to move the jigs to a new forum for Plans, Practicums and Building Accessories. It could include links to existing build logs with photos where the Jig or devise is being used, the same could be done for plans and practicums.

It would give Donnie something to do in his spare time.
I forgot that I did that, Mike! I was envisioning something like the section over at MSB called "Projects" where Plans and practicums could easily be accessed. Stuff is spread all over hell here at SOS!

Hi Dave, it looks like we have a forum under the home page for Plans, Plan sets and Monographies. We could use individual logs under that section.

It might be handy to have an org chart using the home page as a base and adding details under each heading, just a thought.

Here's a little keel clamp I whipped up for my "Independence" build. The base is 3/4" plywood, and the rest is 1/2" hard maple, but any hardwood would do. I had all the hardware on hand, but if you buy the fancy star knobs etc, the hardware should cost about $20. If you use thumbscrews and wing nuts, you could build the clamp for less than $5.00 plus the cost of the wood.

Download the .pdf below for complete plans and building instructions.

View attachment 217025

Plans and instruction:
Thanks for this tutorial and the PDF. I copied your design using Walnut from the scrap bin and hardware I had laying around net cost to build = Zero!
IMG_8328.jpeg

I did modify the base so I can clamp it to my bench and rotate the model.
IMG_8325.jpeg
thanks again!

Hey DocBlake, I made the same type of keel clamp, but I notice your clamp grabs the model by the keel at an angle. You need to glue a 3mm strip of wood to one side of the clamp, below the keel, such that the sides of the clamping surfaces are parallel. If you don't, you will eventually press nasty grooves into the sides of you keel.

1698539220957.png

Hi Kurt.
I’m not sure I understand what you‘re describing. Perhaps a sketch or clearer picture would help.
Thanks,
Olivier
Ok, look at the ends of the clamp boards. It appears that the clamping surfaces are not in parallel, but instead for a long, deep "V". This can pinch the bottom of the keel tight, but the keel will be loose near the top of the keel. If you shim the space between the clamp sides with wood equal in thickness to the keel, the sides will be parallel and grip the keel evenly and with better grip.
1698608994009.png

Ok, look at the ends of the clamp boards. It appears that the clamping surfaces are not in parallel, but instead for a long, deep "V". This can pinch the bottom of the keel tight, but the keel will be loose near the top of the keel. If you shim the space between the clamp sides with wood equal in thickness to the keel, the sides will be parallel and grip the keel evenly and with better grip.
View attachment 403404
Aah, I see what you’re meaning. Thanks for the heads up.

Back