Kevels by date

I have to make some kevels for Discovery1789. They seem to come in various shapes, staghorn, post with a sheave in the bottom and staghorn with the bottoms cut off. Are these shapes era related? Country related? Anybody have a guess as to what a kevel would look like in late 18th century England?

According to Sutherland in Shipbuilding Unveiled 1717, kevels are 'Pieces of Oak, shaped like timberheads and fitted into mortices cut through other pieces of timber which are fastened to the ship's side.
Until about 1775, these two timbers were usually married at their lower ends and thus formed 'U'shape. After this date, we see a tendency to omit the lower parts of the timbers, and the whole structure takes the form of 'staghorns'.

Staghorn on HMS Victory

1716483578018.png

Thanks Jim, that makes them a little easier to make. The problem I'm having now is that the Discovery doesn't have much in the way of bulkheads on the quarterdeck and forecastle to attach kevels to.

Thanks Jim, that makes them a little easier to make. The problem I'm having now is that the Discovery doesn't have much in the way of bulkheads on the quarterdeck and forecastle to attach kevels to.
here is some other notes and facts

1716485838288.png

Back