Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

In January of 1766 the Royal Navy ordered two ships to be built conforming to a new design developed by the Surveyor of the Navy, Sir John Williams. The first of these was launched in November 1767 (Swan) and the second (Kingfisher) was launched in July of 1770 (but not completed until November 1770). As a curiosity many English records show the name of this second ship as Kings Fisher (or Kingsfisher).

Twenty-three more ships were ordered to the same design between 1773 and 1779. You are probably familiar with some of them: Fly, Pegasus, Swift (Vulture, Atalanta, Thorn) as they have appeared on this forum and others as kit or scratch builds.

Swan-class sloops were rated at 14 guns though from the very beginning they were designed with 16 gunports. In time, the additional two guns were added but the nominal rating was left unchanged.

Swan-class sloops were the ‘standard’ ship design of the British Navy during the American Revolutionary War during which eleven of them were lost (including Kingfisher). Surviving vessels went on to serve during the French Revolutionary War and the Napoleonic War.

It is necessary to identify this ship as the Kingfisher 1770 because there are at least 13 additional ships of this name listed in the records of the Royal Navy. There is even a Kingfisher class of ship built during the 20th century.

The Kingfisher 1770 was built by master shipwright Joseph Harris at the Chatham Dockyard, sailed for America in August of 1771, and notably participated in the blockade of Delaware Harbor and the Battle of Turtle Gut Inlet. She was burned by her own crew to avoid capture (by the French) on 7 August 1778 in Narragansett Bay during the Battle of Rhode Island.

Here are her vitals:
  • Length: 96 ft 8 ½ in (29.5 m) (gundeck), 78 ft 10 ½ in (24.0 m) (keel)
  • Beam: 26 ft 10 in (8.2 m)
  • Depth of hold: 12 ft 10 in (3.91 m)
  • Tons burthen: 302 bm
  • Complement: 125
  • Armament: 14x 6 Pound Guns, 16x ½ Pound Swivel Guns
Wikipedia says this: The Swan class sloops were unusually attractive for the type of vessel. Not only did they have sleek hull lines, but they also carried an unusual amount of decoration for their size. They were built just before the Admiralty issued orders that all vessels (especially lesser rates and unrated vessels) should have minimal decoration and carvings to save on costs.

Joseph-Marshall-HMS-Kingfisher-.jpg

medium_1864_0003_0002.jpg

Attribution: Painting. [Model of HMS] KINGFISHER, Sloop 14 Guns. Model made by Joseph Williams; Painting by Josh Marshall - 1775. Oil on panel in gilt frame. Perspective paintings at 45 degree angle from Navy Board original plans. Commissioned by King George III as part of a series of paired bow and stern paintings of British warship models, one example of each class of ship in the naval establishment.

Construction will begin in a few weeks. I have been reorganizing my workspace, reading everything I can find on swan class ships, ordering supplies to supplement the build, and adding some needed tools to my workshop.

You are all welcome to pull up a chair and join me on this multi-year project. It's going to be a blast!

Last edited:
In January of 1766 the Royal Navy ordered two ships to be built conforming to a new design developed by the Surveyor of the Navy, Sir John Williams. The first of these was launched in November 1767 (Swan) and the second (Kingfisher) was launched in July of 1770 (but not completed until November 1770). As a curiosity many English records show the name of this second ship as Kings Fisher (or Kingsfisher).

Twenty-three more ships were ordered to the same design between 1773 and 1779. You are probably familiar with some of them: Fly, Pegasus, Swift (Vulture, Atalanta, Thorn) as they have appeared on this forum and others as kit or scratch builds.

Swan-class sloops were rated at 14 guns though from the very beginning they were designed with 16 gunports. In time, the additional two guns were added but the nominal rating was left unchanged.

Swan-class sloops were the ‘standard’ ship design of the British Navy during the American Revolutionary War during which eleven of them were lost (including Kingfisher). Surviving vessels went on to serve during the French Revolutionary War and the Napoleonic War.

It is necessary to identify this ship as the Kingfisher 1770 because there are at least 13 additional ships of this name listed in the records of the Royal Navy. There is even a Kingfisher class of ship built during the 20th century.

The Kingfisher 1770 was built by master shipwright Joseph Harris at the Chatham Dockyard, sailed for America in August of 1771, and notably participated in the blockade of Delaware Harbor and the Battle of Turtle Gut Inlet. She was burned by her own crew to avoid capture (by the French) on 7 August 1778 in Narragansett Bay during the Battle of Rhode Island.

Here are her vitals:
Wikipedia says this: The Swan class sloops were unusually attractive for the type of vessel. Not only did they have sleek hull lines, but they also carried an unusual amount of decoration for their size. They were built just before the Admiralty issued orders that all vessels (especially lesser rates and unrated vessels) should have minimal decoration and carvings to save on costs.

View attachment 348679

View attachment 348680

Attribution: Painting. [Model of HMS] KINGFISHER, Sloop 14 Guns. Model made by Joseph Williams; Painting by Josh Marshall - 1775. Oil on panel in gilt frame. Perspective paintings at 45 degree angle from Navy Board original plans. Commissioned by King George III as part of a series of paired bow and stern paintings of British warship models, one example of each class of ship in the naval establishment.

Construction will begin in a few weeks. I have been reorganizing my workspace, reading everything I can find on swan class ships, ordering supplies to supplement the build, and adding some needed tools to my workshop.

You are all welcome to pull up a chair and join me on this multi-year project. It's going to be a blast!
Hi Paolo, it will be a pleasure to see your new creature, I ask, is there room? Frank

Dear Paul. I was most excited when I first heard that you had acquired Kingfisher - in my humble opinion Lauck Street is the best of the best. They may not have the glitz and glamor of the latest kits as far as gimmicks go, but as a solid, well-engineered kit with brilliant instructions you cannot do better. Bob Hunt is a genius and Kingfisher is arguably his best. This will be the marriage of an exceptional builder to an exceptional kit. I cannot wait for you to return from your honeymoon and to start what will be a long and happy marriage. The best wishes my friend.

Here are her vitals:

View attachment 348679

View attachment 348680

Hi Paul
Very interesting project indeed
I'll be following your build log
Best of luck and happy New year

Hi Paolo, it will be a pleasure to see your new creature, I ask, is there room? Frank
Welcome Frank. We'll squeeze you in ROTF...

Dear Paul. I was most excited when I first heard that you had acquired Kingfisher - in my humble opinion Lauck Street is the best of the best. They may not have the glitz and glamor of the latest kits as far as gimmicks go, but as a solid, well-engineered kit with brilliant instructions you cannot do better. Bob Hunt is a genius and Kingfisher is arguably his best. This will be the marriage of an exceptional builder to an exceptional kit. I cannot wait for you to return from your honeymoon and to start what will be a long and happy marriage. The best wishes my friend.
I can affirm that the kit as provided is exceptional - now let's see if I can do something with it.

Hi Paul
Very interesting project indeed
I'll be following your build log
Best of luck and happy New year
You are most welcome Gilbert.

Wouldn't miss this! This may be the inspiration I need to get out my Lauck Street Kingfisher and begin work!

Have you seen Ted's Kingfisher, Paul?: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/hms-kingfisher-kings-fisher-tedboat-completed-build.3244/
Hi Dave. Yes, I have seen Ted's Kingfisher build. It is beyond what I will be able to accomplish, but inspiring nonetheless. Some time ago I exchanged a few PMs with him, and he was most encouraging. I had asked him which of several POF kits I should attempt, and he suggested another one - but then checked out my work on the Vasa and came back and said the LSS Kingfisher would be a good choice for me. So, here we go...

I will also be using your (and Mike's) LSS Armed Virginia Sloop as a guide during the early framing stages (which Ted's report omits).

Hello Paul new year new project.
Really a great choice to build this wonderful ship. I will follow with interest and pull up a chair to take a seat. I quote your last sentence "this is going to be a blast" I can only agree my friend.
I'm looking forward to sharing my work with you and others on the forum! Please chime in with suggestions and corrections!

Here are her vitals:

View attachment 348679

View attachment 348680

Hi Paul what a great way to start the new year with a new project. I'll be pulling up a chair and following your progress, lovely looking ship.
Tony

There are many truly magnificent examples of swan-class builds on this forum and others. My attempt will be based on a kit (now discontinued) developed and sold by Bob Hunt out of Lauck Street Shipyard (as hinted at above).

Here is the prototype model created by Bob Hunt:

R.jpg

Attribution: this image was clipped from the documentation provided with the kit and is the property of Robert Hunt (shared here without his expressed permission – though this image can be readily found on the internet).

After the completion of my first model ship (the Vasa: a POB kit-based build in 1:64) and a small scratch build of an esping (a Swedish longboat now displayed in the case alongside my Vasa) I had it in my heart to attempt a POF build. I had previously purchased another POF kit but when this Kingfisher kit came available on the secondary market, I made an impulse buy.

I have since learned that for its time this was one of the finest kits available. Mine is kit # 078 and it seems only 100 or so were made. I’m not sure why Mr. Hunt discontinued offering kits for sale – but I suspect that market pressures from new mass-produced (but still high-end) kits now available in the marketplace made his handmade/craftsman approach economically untenable.

What attracted me to this kit was the fact that 98% of the wood supplied is boxwood (certainly not European boxwood – it is probably Castello boxwood or another variety). What I can attest to is the boxwood supplied with the kit is truly beautiful. There are more than 40 panels of CNC cut pieces of varying thicknesses (reportedly 2000 individual pieces though I didn’t count).

IMG_9178.JPG

It took me about a week just to clean the panels of sawdust in the cut lines. I’m not complaining – cleaning and squaring laser cut boards would have taken far longer and been far messier.

IMG_9161.JPG

IMG_9163.JPG

IMG_9164.JPG

There are also wood strips packaged according to the stage of construction (rather than by size) along with a small bag of photo-etch sheets, styrene bits and baubles, and other sundry parts. The carvings and cannon are provided as cast/molded resin pieces and time has not treated them well. I’ll need to find replacements.

IMG_9180.JPG

The kit is designed to build an admiralty model (a term that seems to have a fairly fluid definition in actual usage), but for me it means that nothing is provided in terms of rigging (masts, yards, ropes, blocks are all absent) and very little of the hull and decking would have been planked (only above the lowest wale on one side of the ship, and only under gun carriages on one side of the ship) so ALL of the stripwood provided with the kit is seen in the picture above.

I have not yet determined how earnestly I will embrace the admiralty approach – but given the price of boxwood I may build close to the kit. Still, I have seen swan-class ships with completed hulls and the lines are truly beautiful. This might mean I will end up doing half and half (leaving the framing fully visible on one side of the ship and fully sheathing the other side). I am even less certain about how much, if any, rigging there will be on my model. Right now the leading contender is: not much.

Hi Paul what a great way to start the new year with a new project. I'll be pulling up a chair and following your progress, lovely looking ship.
Tony
Yes, a new year deserves a new project! Truthfully, I'm pretty excited to be trying something that will expand my model building skills (or reveal them as lacking :rolleyes:).

To supplement the Lauck Street Shipyard (LSS) instructions I have the complete book series: The Fully Framed Model by Antscherl and Herbert (hereafter referred to as TFFM), the TFFM set of frame plans for scratch building a swan-class ship, as well as a set of swan-class ship plans from SeaWatch.

I also ordered the original set of plans for the Kingfisher from the National Maritime Museum (Royal Museums Greenwich), as well as (amazing) images from a 3D model of a swan-class ship that I purchased from Greg Herbert (author of the third book of the TFFM series which features his remarkable model of the Pegasus). @DocBlake provided a link to the 3D renderings above if anyone is interested.

Of course, there are also some magnificent build reports on this forum and others – some of the most impressive of which are scratch builds. Sadly, there are very few logs based on the LSS model – and those that exist have been truncated because of a crash of a forum server some years ago, or by happenstance (that is, the modeler only began posting a build log midway through the construction of the ship omitting the centerline and framing stages which, frankly, is the part I needed to see).

While my kit contains an ample supply of boxwood (including enough to make a few replacement parts for things I ruin), there is not enough for me to make larger pieces over and over. To that end I might end up making some trial runs of the more complicated parts out of balsa.

I have identified two suppliers that offer milled boxwood, but the prices are breathtaking. Does it make sense to spend as much on spare supplies as I spent on the kit itself? A single sheet of 6mm thick boxwood costs over 10 euro – 10 pieces of 2 x 4 mm stripwood costs over 6 euro (all plus shipping). I’m dangerously close to being able to mill my own stock with my ever-improving workshop but even bulk boxwood is spendy right now.

Anyway, I know I won’t be able to resist the urge to make adjustments to the kit offerings, I just can’t say right now how far that will go.

OK. That's enough words said in preamble. We hosted my youngest daughter's wedding this weekend so we're off for a vacation. The sawdust will fly in a week or two!

Oh my! Anticipating a lengthy build I’ll bring my lounge chair. :)
Might as well get comfy Ron...

Hi Paul,
After following your your last build (the Esping ) I know that this is going to be a great build, So if you have room for a small one could you squees me in.
Happy to have you along Martin.

Good luck with your Swan class build.
Thank you kindly, Ben. I love your Winchelsea project! Oh, to have some of your skills...

I’m really looking forward to following your Kingfisher build Paul. I will happily join the other familiar “faces” and pull up my chair too.
Thanks Roger. The gathering of friends warms the heart.

Back