Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

I will pray for a few more rainy days for you….;). We need some rain down here, it has been a very dry winter so far which is never good for Cape Town.
Could you send over some good, sunny weather? You can have ours, as far as I'm concerned. It's been way too wet; crop is rotting away and one can see water on many farmlands. (Plus it's too cold for my liking...)

Could you send over some good, sunny weather? You can have ours, as far as I'm concerned. It's been way too wet; crop is rotting away and one can see water on many farmlands. (Plus it's too cold for my liking...)
We are living in Holland, also called frogland. (Nederland Kikkerland) That's need to be wet, frogs love wet fields and rain. You're spoiled by the last 10 years where it was way to dry. ROTF

We are living in Holland, also called frogland. (Nederland Kikkerland) That's need to be wet, frogs love wet fields and rain. You're spoiled by the last 10 years where it was way to dry. ROTF

Per usual, the interior partition walls are beautifully executed. I especially like the 45 degree walls joints that soften the passageway corners, for the sailors running to their battlestations!

Also jealous of the heavy-duty cutter blade you have! I use a small table saw, but inevitably, 5-10% of the cuts get a small tear-out as the blade exits. A piece of scrap wood against the piece being cut alleviates this problem but I often get in a hurry and don't use one.

I do have an allowance for decking...but I'm conflicted. I rather like being able to see down into the lower part of the ship. Would it be strange to leave off decking?
my vote is to leave some decking off. That is what I plan on doing with my Sphinx model so that I can see inside the Captain's cabin. I want to add some furniture to the cabin.

Could you please describe how you got the clean symmetrical nail marks (not trenalls) in the walls
These 'nails' were created with a very thin drill bit (I think it's maybe 0.3 mm) and then filling the resultant hole with wood filler in a contrasting color (and then scraping/sanding off the excess). Perhaps too much contrast but now I'm committed.

I see an Ultimation Slicer in that first photo.

Also jealous of the heavy-duty cutter blade you have!
This cutter is brilliant but it's purchase may not have passed the test of common sense. It's rather expensive but built in a way that attempts to justify the cost. There is also a manual sanding disc tool that I now use all the time. I thought I would hate it but find I can use it in the house without going to the garage where I have powered sanding discs. Unmatched precision with the manual sanding disc tool which also came at a silly cost...

I do have an allowance for decking...but I'm conflicted. I rather like being able to see down into the lower part of the ship. Would it be strange to leave off decking?
.... absolutely NOT, you may use a few places where you put a single plank or just a small piece of the plank to show. But it is up to you. Either way, the wall will look handsome.

What can I say that hasn't already been said Paul. I really enjoy your work. How about a combination of deck cutaways with architectural shaped openings allowing one to see down into the bottom rooms/holds? Whatever you come up with will be spectacular, I'm sure. Lighting may be a concern though.

This cutter is brilliant but it's purchase may not have passed the test of common sense. It's rather expensive but built in a way that attempts to justify the cost. There is also a manual sanding disc tool that I now use all the time. I thought I would hate it but find I can use it in the house without going to the garage where I have powered sanding discs. Unmatched precision with the manual sanding disc tool which also came at a silly cost...
I agree with you, relatively expensive but worth it as is the hand cranked sander. A lot less dust and minimum noise compared to power tools and, of course, a happier wife :).

I find with the cutter I have to slice slightly over size because of the blade bevel. Then slice a second time very close to the first cut to get a clean near 90 degree cut. Of course, as you know, having the sander means you can clean up that bevelled slice too. I purchased extra blades and mats for the slicer and a few sanding discs too. Very happy with both purchases.

I'm still convinced that we should separate the Netherlands from Belgium and Germany and then tow it to the Caribbean.
(We're not made to live in the cold wetlands, also known as the Netherlands, instead we should live in a sunny, modestly warm environment.)

I'm still convinced that we should separate the Netherlands from Belgium and Germany and then tow it to the Caribbean.
(We're not made to live in the cold wetlands, also known as the Netherlands, instead we should live in a sunny, modestly warm environment.)
you mean attach it to Sint Maarten?( i had to look up the Dutch spelling)

Careful what you wish for. :) We had record high temps here yesterday (97 Deg F or 36 C if you prefer) and expect the same today !
The air conditioner in my house couldn't keep up.

Back