Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

@dockattner Really nice progress, Paul. But I do not understand the copper nails on top of the frames for the gratings. As far as I know, was every side of the frames one piece of wood. It is easier to built it from two pieces, but than glue between the pieces is enough. ;)

For all other pieces you use treenails, Why have you now changed your method.

@dockattner Really nice progress, Paul. But I do not understand the copper nails on top of the frames for the gratings. As far as I know, was every side of the frames one piece of wood. It is easier to built it from two pieces, but than glue between the pieces is enough. ;)

For all other pieces you use treenails, Why have you now changed your method.
Dang it! You're right Christian. I read Antscherl wrong. Volume 1 p 272 calls for 3/4 inch metal bolts only on the head-ledges. There should be treenails on the coamings.

Thanks, once again, for all the likes on my previous posting!

On the Kingfisher there are posts that support the centerline of the beams of the lower deck as well as the beams of the upper deck. The posts for the lower deck are a simple affair which would have been quite suitable for the hold:

View attachment 451934

But I wanted to make something more 'elegant' for the upper deck beams. A few years ago I had purchased a mini-lathe which I never used. Would it work to turn posts from square stock? Let's find out...

First, some blanks with layout lines:

View attachment 451926

A back-cut to prevent any tear-out:

View attachment 451927

And a preliminary beveling of the sacrificial end that would go in the chuck as well as the center turned portion:

View attachment 451928

I purchased this mini-lathe for around $30 USD:

View attachment 451929

View attachment 451930

Here we go!

View attachment 451931

Just for fun I recorded the turning of one of the posts. As you will see I just used needle files. I guess someone who knows how to properly use a lathe would use a carbide cutting tip and a pattern jig but that's above my pay grade. The video is about 10 minutes long and will show the steps I went through to make a single post. I suggest you 'fast-forward' as it's not exactly a big budget action-adventure film:

Here is a photo of the finished product:

View attachment 451932

And now the total run.

View attachment 451933

Of course, no two are exactly the same, but I believe these will work! Add another 'skill' to my model-building repertoire ROTF.
Fantastic !!!!

A few lingering details before the construction of the upper deck commences:

A ladder into the hold:

View attachment 452247

The grates:

View attachment 452244

View attachment 452245

View attachment 452246

The 'finish' on the upper deck posts:

View attachment 452243

Everything is now in place for the fabrication of the upper deck. I kind of doubt I will bother you again for a bit. We'll see...
Great job!!! Paul, it looks like it’s time for me to enroll as your student. Will you take it?

Paul, I have always strugle with ladder builts. Looks very simple, but you need the correct angle and technique to cut the slot (is this the correct word?) for the steps. Knowing how detail oriented are you and your skills, can you please tell me (us) how you did your ladder.
Thank you !!
Daniel
A few lingering details before the construction of the upper deck commences:

A ladder into the hold:

View attachment 452247

The grates:

View attachment 452244

View attachment 452245

View attachment 452246

The 'finish' on the upper deck posts:

View attachment 452243

Everything is now in place for the fabrication of the upper deck. I kind of doubt I will bother you again for a bit. We'll see...

Your gratings, coamings and head ledges look super. Rounded corners above the deck surface and no open holes against the coamings and head ledges is so nice to see for a change. Beautifully executed!
Allan

Those balusters are a great piece of work Paul, if that was your first attempt on the lathe, then i wonder what you wil show us in a couple of months
Thanks, Peter. I'm pretty happy with the result, though if you look at them side by side they are all a bit different. But I think (hope) that will disappear once they get installed...

Back