Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Hi Geoff, I thank you very much for the compliment!

ROTF ROTF ROTF Yup. My build logs tend to run on and on. I get paid by the page... ROTF

I hope you enjoy the report - you will run across any number of similarities with your current project.
Maybe you have to cut your blog in two instead of your hull :-)

Hello friends!

After nearly a month of work (felt longer), the upper deck framing is just about complete:

View attachment 457344

Forward:

View attachment 457345

Midship:

View attachment 457346

Aft:

View attachment 457347

As you can see, I have only added ledges (the thin athwartships pieces) to the most starboard portion of the deck (a few odds and ends still need to be added here). I suspect I'll add more ledges near the center of the ship, but I am holding off for now.

I find myself in a constant battle between wanting to build a representative ship model while still allowing for sightlines into the lower levels (holster that Japanese saw, Johan ROTF).

A few detailed images:

View attachment 457350

The lodging knees change direction near the center of the ship, so the upper deck (like the lower deck) features a 'bi-level' knee:

View attachment 457348

And I do have hanging knees, but they are difficult to photograph (actually pretty easy to see on the model):

View attachment 457349

I have decided to add (not built yet) a sail room for the lower deck - and I still need to add the previously fabricated pillars for the upper deck beams - so everything is still loose fit. In fact, I have the deck in five sections as you can see below:

View attachment 457351

This has been a learning curve item. It is now nearly impossible to get these sections into place. The tolerances are razor thin, and the tumblehome of the hull is not my friend. I have puzzled out a way to get these sections in and out of the ship, but I know that once I get the walls/rooms placed on the lower deck it will no longer be possible to keep these sections intact as you see them here :(. It would seem this deck needed to be built in place (and glued in place) during fabrication which runs counter to my adopted 'best practices.' Or maybe not???

A parting shot of the hanging knees:

View attachment 457352

You are kind to stop by!
Congratulations again Paul. It must bring enormous satisfaction and joy to see your efforts yield such beauty. The tolerances on all your joints, of which there are too many to count, are remarkable. The symmetry is perfection as if done by a machine. This has got me wondering if you are real or perhaps an AI manifestation, it’s hard to tell these days.
I long to be even half as good as you….one day.
Thanks for continuing to share your inspiring build.
Michael

Congratulations again Paul. It must bring enormous satisfaction and joy to see your efforts yield such beauty. The tolerances on all your joints, of which there are too many to count, are remarkable. The symmetry is perfection as if done by a machine. This has got me wondering if you are real or perhaps an AI manifestation, it’s hard to tell these days.
I long to be even half as good as you….one day.
Thanks for continuing to share your inspiring build.
Michael
You are too kind Michael. I'm just a human with a #11 blade and a disc sander willing to spend a month on something that should take a long weekend. And even with that I needed to say 'good enough' about 100 times ROTF.

It took me most of a day just to apply a finish to the bits that will soon be installed :rolleyes:...

I think you have done very well, so far, to leave enough open space, with all the adjacent detail, so that one can actually see into the model. For me, this is always the trick and challenge of these fully-framed builds; if it can't be seen, at the end of the build, was it worth it just to "know it's there?"

Frankly, in my opinion, the answer would be no. Your efforts won't be wasted, Paul.

I think you have done very well, so far, to leave enough open space, with all the adjacent detail, so that one can actually see into the model. For me, this is always the trick and challenge of these fully-framed builds; if it can't be seen, at the end of the build, was it worth it just to "know it's there?"

Frankly, in my opinion, the answer would be no. Your efforts won't be wasted, Paul.
Thanks very much Marc. One of the things I have learned is that a fully-framed model is a massive amount of work compared to an 'enclosed' ship model. The risk of not being able to see what I have invested so much in has pretty comprehensively changed the direction this build was going.

Last edited:
You are too kind Michael. I'm just a human with a #11 blade and a disc sander willing to spend a month on something that should take a long weekend. And even with that I needed to say 'good enough' about 100 times ROTF.

It took me most of a day just to apply a finish to the bits that will soon be installed :rolleyes:...
Good morning Paul…nope, I’m still with Michael re the AI manifestation.
The risk of not being able to see what I have invested so much in has pretty comprehensively changed the direction this build was going.
I am truely happy to hear this :D . Way too many finely crafted details in this ship not to be viewed.
Cheers Grant

It was a bit of a struggle, but I did manage to install the lower deck structures along with the upper deck framing (sometimes in the reverse order if you can imagine that!). It wasn't elegant, nor free from some (mild) profanity :rolleyes:, but mission accomplished.

But first...the new sail room:

IMG_0842.JPG

Installing the upper deck pillars:

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

Upper deck forward:

IMG_0862.JPG

Upper deck aft:

IMG_0861.JPG

Finally, peaking through the deck to what lies below... Forward:

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

The new sail room:

IMG_0865.JPG

Midships (the pumphouse and shot locker):

IMG_0866.JPG

Aft structures:

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

Hanging knees (and lodging knees):

IMG_0871.JPG

Next up: upper deck waterways...

It was a bit of a struggle, but I did manage to install the lower deck structures along with the upper deck framing (sometimes in the reverse order if you can imagine that!). It wasn't elegant, nor free from some (mild) profanity :rolleyes:, but mission accomplished.

But first...the new sail room:

View attachment 458319

Installing the upper deck pillars:

View attachment 458322

View attachment 458321

Upper deck forward:

View attachment 458324

Upper deck aft:

View attachment 458323

Finally, peaking through the deck to what lies below... Forward:

View attachment 458325

View attachment 458326

The new sail room:

View attachment 458327

Midships (the pumphouse and shot locker):

View attachment 458328

Aft structures:

View attachment 458329

View attachment 458330

Hanging knees (and lodging knees):

View attachment 458331

Next up: upper deck waterways...
That’s looking GREAT, Paul. So much to see. I would love to see it in real.
Regards, Paul.

Absolutely fantastic build log and even better model that would grace and improve any museum!! I LOVE the sail room louvers to help dry out the sailcloth and that "hanging" hatch cover!

The open deck really allows one to see the incredible detail and skill of your lower deck structures. You will need to carefully decide how much decking you place, so those details remain visible...tough decisions ahead.

Glad the eye has had NO impact on the results of your build!!! I hope the retina is recovering and the eyesight is slowly restoring itself!!!

Gorgeous model. Is the lower planking done with holly?

I have made top and butt planking for the wales but not below. After seeing yours I will be looking to do this in the future. Peter Goodwin gives a description of this in The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War that is a bit helpful but if you have other sources with information on this that you can share that would be fantastic.

Many thanks Paul

Allan

Back