Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Having - at various times in my life - been a railway modeller, radio ham, materials scientist, and now novice ship-destroyer I I have heard the 'we're all too old, this hobby will die'. many times. No it will not

Truth is it will transform, that is already visible - the old school manual skills are replaced with new printing and CNC machining skills, the drawing board gets dumped for Autocad and so on. The Swiss writer Max Frisch once described our species as 'homo faber' very loosely translatable as 'hominids who make stuff' - the stuff we make might change, but the motivation and underlying dreams are deep in our gene-pool.

Having - at various times in my life - been a railway modeller, radio ham, materials scientist, and now novice ship-destroyer I I have heard the 'we're all too old, this hobby will die'. many times. No it will not

Truth is it will transform, that is already visible - the old school manual skills are replaced with new printing and CNC machining skills, the drawing board gets dumped for Autocad and so on. The Swiss writer Max Frisch once described our species as 'homo faber' very loosely translatable as 'hominids who make stuff' - the stuff we make might change, but the motivation and underlying dreams are deep in our gene-pool.
yes, we still hear that in ham radio. :)
W9CE

Hello Friends,

Work continues outfitting the upper deck and the forecastle deck...

First up, the simple mizzen mast partner (though cutting an octagon was harder than I thought it was going to be):

IMG_0988.JPG

Next, the capstan step (not installed - just sitting loosely at this point because I haven't done any research on the capstan itself):

IMG_0989.JPG

Notice the capstan step is not parallel with the deck (weird)...

IMG_0990.JPG

Next up - the rather complicated bowsprit step (the panel with the square in it) and the topsail bitts that sit on top of bowsprit step:

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

In the image below you can see the fixed channels for the manger (the starboard side has panels installed - the port side will be left as is):

IMG_0994.JPG

The manger panels on the starboard:

IMG_0993.JPG

And now the fore deck has been temporarily installed showing the relationship of the bowsprit step and topsail bitts to this higher deck:

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

And finally, the cathead on the starboard side:

IMG_0996.JPG

Installing the cathead required the unnerving obligation to cut a hole in the bulwark (and through my completed hull planking):

IMG_0986.JPG

Considering the frightening places my imagination took me when planning this step, I'm not unhappy with this result:

IMG_0998.JPG

But I was unhappy when I did this to the first (actually, the second) cathead :oops::

IMG_0997.JPG

The cathead will get some sort of carved decoration on its end face - but I need to do some practicing first.

You are very kind to take some time away from your own builds to visit.

Last edited:
Beautiful, ALL! The Bowsprit Step, Topsail Bitts and all the different/non-perpendicular angles (even on the capstan platform) look perfectly executed.

Thanks for showing your mortality with the miss-drill (or wandering bit??) on the Cathead. That gives us envious observers some small glimmer of hope.

Below are some pictures of carved catheads I found while working on the HMS Serapis Catheads:

Cathead 4.jpgcathead short.png Cathead mystic museum.jpgcomstitution cathead.jpg

What I eventually settled on:
cathead carving 21 Feb 2022.jpg

Good Luck, they are a wonderful detail and something the layman observer will find interesting, while they don't even see the detailed angles and joints of your master-modeling-skills!!

cathead 3.jpg

Beautiful, ALL! The Bowsprit Step, Topsail Bitts and all the different/non-perpendicular angles (even on the capstan platform) look perfectly executed.

Thanks for showing your mortality with the miss-drill (or wandering bit??) on the Cathead. That gives us envious observers some small glimmer of hope.

Below are some pictures of carved catheads I found while working on the HMS Serapis Catheads:

View attachment 467012View attachment 467015 View attachment 467007View attachment 467008

What I eventually settled on:
View attachment 467006

Good Luck, they are a wonderful detail and something the layman observer will find interesting, while they don't even see the detailed angles and joints of your master-modeling-skills!!

View attachment 467014
Thanks Brad. You did a lovely carving! Most of the time we see cats and lions as seen in your images. Antscherl has his doubts for this ship and her sisters.

The end of the cathead is quite small so I’m tempering my expectations. I have some micro carving chisels from MicroMark but they are (expensive) junk (I believe I might have just summarized the entire MicroMark catalog - but I digress). I would love the set once made by the Russian gentleman but those days are gone. I might have to try to make my own as others have done but that requires man-skills that I seldom display. I have some chisels coming from a specialty house and we’ll see what I get. In the mean time there are many other things to occupy my time.

Last edited:
Hello Friends,

First up, the simple mizzen mast partner (though cutting an octagon was harder than I thought it was going to be):

View attachment 466978

Next, the capstan step (not installed - just sitting loosely at this point because I haven't done any research on the capstan itself):

View attachment 466979

View attachment 466980

Next up - the rather complicated bowsprit step (the panel with the square in it) and the topsail bitts that sit on top of bowsprit step:

View attachment 466981

View attachment 466982

In the image below you can see the fixed channels for the manger (the starboard side has panels installed - the port side will be left as is):

View attachment 466984

View attachment 466983

And now the fore deck has been temporarily installed showing the relationship of the bowsprit step and topsail bitts to this higher deck:

View attachment 466985

View attachment 466989

View attachment 466986

Installing the cathead required the unnerving obligation to cut a hole in the bulwark (and through my completed hull planking):

View attachment 466977

Considering the frightening places my imagination took me when planning this step, I'm not unhappy with this result:

View attachment 466988

But I was unhappy when I did this to the first (actually, the second) cathead :oops::

View attachment 466987

The cathead will get some sort of carved decoration on its end face - but I need to do some practicing first.

Good morning Paul. You must have cross eyes after all those angles from the perpendicular. You seriously have to trust your measurements for the bowsprit step square or did you dummy test the bowsprit itself? It runs a quite an acute angle. I have always been in awe of your ability to get the exact measurement/sizing on your work- E.g. the cathead square through the hull- fits perfectly. Kudos.
Thanks for showing your mortality with the miss-drill (or wandering bit??) on the Cathead.
True story ;)- whew he is human after all.
Cheers Grant

Hello Friends,

View attachment 466978

View attachment 466979

View attachment 466980

View attachment 466981

View attachment 466982

View attachment 466984

View attachment 466983

View attachment 466985

View attachment 466989

View attachment 466986

View attachment 466977

View attachment 466988

View attachment 466987

All your measurements and pre installed parts are paying off now, Paul. That bowsprit step with side panels and the topsail bitts with all those angles are very very nice. Also in combination with the fitted foredeck.

And about this quote:
I would have said it a little more strongly myself.:)
Regards, Peter

Good morning Paul. You must have cross eyes after all those angles from the perpendicular. You seriously have to trust your measurements for the bowsprit step square or did you dummy test the bowsprit itself? It runs a quite an acute angle. I have always been in awe of your ability to get the exact measurement/sizing on your work- E.g. the cathead square through the hull- fits perfectly. Kudos.

True story ;)- whew he is human after all.
Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant! The bowsprit angle is surprisingly good. I just need to open up the place where it passes through the fore deck. That said, I'm not sure if you will see a bowsprit on this model...

All your measurements and pre installed parts are paying off now, Paul. That bowsprit step with side panels and the topsail bitts with all those angles are very very nice. Also in combination with the fitted foredeck.

Thanks Peter! The angle of the bowsprit step was off slightly as the beam it corresponds to is marginally too far forward. But that's quibbling over a minor offence...and was hidden in a slightly too deep notch on the upper beam. Hiding mistakes is part of the hobby :).

And about this quote:
I would have said it a little more strongly myself.:)

I was trying to be polite ROTF. My sphincter was rather squeezed. That little square took me most of an hour.

The ferrules look great. I have used foil with the dull side showing and grey tubed artist paint as it is very viscous, both of which can look good, but if ferrules can be found in the right size, these look like a better choice.
Allan
I take no credit. But I also cannot provide an attribution - where I first saw this is lost to the ravages of too much wine...

Dzięki Grant! Kąt bukszprytu jest zaskakująco dobry. Muszę tylko otworzyć miejsce, w którym przechodzi przez przedni pokład. Powiedziawszy to, nie jestem pewien, czy zobaczysz bukszpryt w tym modelu...
Witaj
Pawle będzie to model bez takiegolunku zrobionego przez część bukszprytu, ale to tylko moja sugestia ty podążaj własną drogą. Pozdrawiam Mirka
PS Pawle będzie taka pusta dziura bez bukszprytu

Welcome
Paweł, it will be a model without such a bowsprit made by part of the bowsprit, but this is only my suggestion, you follow your own way. Greetings Mirek
PS Paweł, there will be such an empty hole without bowsprit

A nice suggestion Mirek. Perhaps a bowsprit stub would be an appropriate solution.

Back